Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Re: Fed Cup 2012 Seeds, Draws, OoP's & Discussion

Petko's back, but now Lisicki is out for the Germans? They would be a formidable foe if they could keep their entire team healthy for a full season.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

One could argue that the other German girls are better on clay and they don't need her for this tie anyway.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    One could argue that the other German girls are better on clay and they don't need her for this tie anyway.

Goerges kick started her title run to Stuttgart playing Fed Cup weekend last year.
    Petra Kvitova : 2011 & 2014 Wimbledon Champion

Not that I think it will, but how great would it be to have the USA-Ukraine tie come down the doubles....Serena/Huber?

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Not Kerber

Arantxa Sanchez Vicario Press

Following the statements made this morning by Arantxa Sanchez Vicario, the Royal Spanish Tennis Federation has contacted the captain of the Spanish Fed Cup team, which has expressed:

"It was not my intention in any way disparage Anabel Medina, whom I respect as a player and h(er) commitment to the national team. I apologize if I have not learned to express myself correctly. I decided not to have Anabel Medina and Carla Suarez for the tie against Slovakia on purely technical issues, and that's the reason not listed in the call. "
    Original Spanish here: http://rfet.es/noticias/det/Comunica...-61gO8.twitter
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    Not Kerber
    If Petkovic is finally healthy, Kerber won't play singles either.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Yeah I know but if she is not, Kerber is their achilles's hell

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Space Invaders Champion, Ms.pacman New Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Disco Bowling Champion, Pacman Champion, Cribbage Square Champion, Pool Jam - 5 Minute Game Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Ultimate Jewel Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flipkens out of Fed Cup...Belgium's top player for this tie is now ranked 210.

http://tennis.com/articles/templates...17227&zoneid=4
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Petra Kvitova is out for revenge this weekend as her Czech Republic side face Italy in the Fed Cup by BNP Paribas semifinal.

“It will be good revenge,” the Czech No.1 remarked when asked about the tie. “Last time when played against them we lost 5-0, so it wasn’t really a good result and we have bad memories from this.”

That tie was the 2010 semifinal where Kvitova played in the decisive third rubber against Flavia Pennetta, losing 76(3) 62 as Czech Republic failed to win even a set on the clay in Rome.

The Wimbledon champion is determined that the result will be different this time around and playing in Ostrava, a town now well used to the drama of hosting its nations tennis teams, is just a 20 minute car ride from her birthplace of Bilovec.
    “I will have a lot of fans there… For Davis Cup [the CEZ Arena] is always full and now we are playing Fed Cup there, we hope it will be full again.”

This will also be the first home tie for the Czech’s in over two years, a period during which they have gone on to win the Fed Cup title, so this provides the team with a chance for a glorious homecoming and with the promise for more success against an Italian team who’s stars have found the going a little difficult in recent months.

The popular 22-year-old, however, also suffered on the American hard courts during Spring under the weight of injury but returns to the court with a streak of 27 consecutive wins indoors and has also won her last eight Fed Cup rubbers.

Ten ties are taking place this weekend alongside the Americas Zone Group II and Europe/Africa Zone Group III week-long events. Czech Republic face Italy in Ostrava while Serbia and Russia meet in Moscow in the two semifinals. There are four World Group play-offs and four World Group II play-offs happening to decide who will play in which Group next year.

http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/audio/...enge'.aspx
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

US Fed Cup team in Kharkiv. (via USTA Tim Curry)

United States vs. Ukraine
    Fed Cup by BNP Paribas 2012 World Group Playoff
    Superior Golf & Spa Resort
    Kharkiv, Ukraine * April 21-22

Below are quotes from the U.S. Fed Cup team’s pre-draw press conference today in advance of the 2012 Fed Cup by BNP Paribas World Group Playoff versus Ukraine in Kharkiv this weekend. The U.S. Fed Cup Team Record Book, including preview notes, is available here or at USTA.com.

The best-of-five match series begins on Saturday, April 21, with two singles matches and is followed by two reverse singles matches and the doubles match on Sunday, April 22. Tennis Channel will present daily coverage beginning at 12:00 p.m. ET on Saturday and 10:30 a.m. ET on Sunday.

U.S. Fed Cup Captain Mary Joe Fernandez
    When asked about the criteria used in choosing the team: “Usually you look through the rankings to see who’s playing well, and you look at some of the good match-ups, as well as who’s healthy, and put together the best team possible for that tie.”

On some of the strengths of the Ukrainian team: “I know quite a bit about the opponents. I’ve watched some of the players. They are a young team but very eager. They played very well in their first round against Italy. We look forward to the challenge when we face them.

When asked about having a young team: “Everybody on the team has really improved and worked really hard. It’s nice to have young players coming up and doing well. Jamie, Sloan [Stephens] and Christina [McHale] have really pushed each other and its nice to see them develop as really good players.”

On Serena and Liezel leading the team: “Its great to have two great champions like Serena and Liezel playing on your team with the experience they bring and a lot of grand slam titles. And they share that [experience] with the younger members. Now looking ahead, you look to the young players to become the leaders eventually. We start early and develop. I’ve had all of these players for a few years now, and they are developing really well and getting better every day.”

On the Bondarenko sisters not playing on the Ukrainian team: “I was surprised that at least one of the Bondarenko sisters was not competing on the Ukrainian team. I know them pretty well from the tour.”

Serena Williams

When asked about how she’s feeling about her game and coming off of good back-to-back matches: “I feel really good about it. I’m really enjoy playing on clay because clay is a lot different. I’m looking forward to just continuing, and that my good playing carries over to Fed Cup.”

When asked about playing Fed Cup in Ukraine and missing some of the past ties: “I’m here to play with my team. I ran into some health problems the last few years and that is why I was not able to play Fed Cup the last few times.”

Christina McHale

When asked about playing Fed Cup: “I love being on a team. I love playing for my country. We always have a good week leading up and hopefully this will be another one of those weeks.”

Liezel Huber

On playing with for the U.S. versus for South Africa: “I think I’ve actually played more ties for the U.S. now, and I definitely have had more victories. I prefer when somebody wonders where I learned to play the game that they guess South Africa first. But I feel more American and this is home for me.”

Czech DC team posing as mannequins.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Question of the week: Is Petra healthy right now?

Quote Originally Posted by kandi View Post
    Question of the week: Is Petra healthy right now?
    She's talking about revenge so I hope she is...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast