Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2247626869707172
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1080
    Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Ms.pacman New Champion, Cribbage Master Champion, Skee Ball Champion, Pacman Champion, Cribbage Square Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Television Random, Random Scripted/NonScripted

Craig just suggested to me Kate Gosselin in Mary Poppins.
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

I'll put two dollars on NPH in The Music Man. Y'all can pay me next Christmas.

'Duck Dynasty's' Phil Robertson on Indefinite Hiatus Following Anti-Gay Remarks
    4:39 PM PST 12/18/2013 by Lesley Goldberg

UPDATED: The news comes after the reality star compared being gay to bestiality, drawing ire from LGBT groups including GLAAD and the Human Rights Campaign.

A&E has placed Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson on indefinite hiatus following anti-gay remarks he made in a recent profile in GQ.

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty," A&E said in a statement. "His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

The news comes after Robertson compared homosexuality to bestiality in an interview with the magazine. He'll likely appear in season four, which bows Jan. 15, since production is largely wrapped.

"It seems like, to me, a vagina -- as a man -- would be more desirable than a man's anus," Robertson says in the January issue of the men's magazine. "That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical."

During a discussion about repentance and God, Robertson is asked what he finds sinful.
    "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there," he says. "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

He goes on to paraphrase Corinthians: "Don't be deceived. Neither the adulterers, the idolaters, the male prostitutes, the homosexual offenders, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers, the swindlers -- they won't inherit the kingdom of God. Don't deceive yourself. It's not right."

GLAAD on Wednesday condemned his remarks as "some of the vilest and most extreme statements uttered against LGBT people in a mainstream publication" and said "his quote was littered with outdated stereotypes and blatant misinformation."

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe," GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz said. "He clearly knows nothing about gay people or the majority of Louisianans -- and Americans -- who support legal recognition for loving and committed gay and lesbian couples. Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors, who now need to re-examine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families."

GLAAD responded to A&E's suspension, commending the network for its swift decision. "What’s clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike," GLAAD's Cruz said late Wednesday. “By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value.”

Robertson released his own statement in response to the flap early Wednesday: "I myself am a product of the '60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the Bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

Duck Dynasty has become a breakout hit for A&E, regularly luring 9 million-plus viewers. The Robertson clan landed on The Hollywood Reporter magazine's 2013 Rule Breakers list, which hit newsstands Wednesday. Phil's son Willie Robertson, who is featured on the cover, tells THR of the show's success: "It's a combination of the faith, the positive and the family aspect … and it's funny."
    Adds his brother Jase Robertson: "We're just kind of doing what we do, and people identify with that."
    The Human Rights Campaign also slammed Robertson for his statements.

"Phil Robertson's remarks are not consistent with the values of our faith communities or the scientific findings of leading medical organizations," president Chad Griffin said in a statement. "We know that being gay is not a choice someone makes, and that to suggest otherwise can be incredibly harmful. We also know that Americans of faith follow the Golden Rule -- treating others with the respect and dignity you'd wish to be treated with. As a role model on a show that attracts millions of viewers, Phil Robertson has a responsibility to set a positive example for young Americans -- not shame and ridicule them because of who they are. The A+E Network should take immediate action to condemn Phil Robertson's remarks and make clear they don't support his views."

Kimberly Nordyke contributed to this report.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv..._now_lgoldberg
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

I'm trying to figure out who says more stupid things - Republican Senatorial candidates, or MSNBC hosts. Another MSNBC staffer is issuing the mea culpas today:

Melissa Harris-Perry Apologizes for Comments about Romney's Black Grandson
    December 31, 2013

MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry has formally apologized for her embarrassing and puzzling comments on Mitt Romney's black grandson, disseminating her regrets through a series of tweets:

I am sorry. Without reservation or qualification. I apologize to the Romney family. I work by guiding principle that those who offend do not have the right to tell those they hurt that they [are] wrong for hurting. Therefore, while I meant no offense, I want to immediately apologize to the Romney family for hurting them. As black child born into large white Mormon family I feel familiarity w/ Romney family pic & never meant to suggest otherwise. I apologize to all families built on loving transracial adoptions who feel I degraded their lives or choices.
    Harris-Perry seemed to invite off-color comments after placing the Romneys' Christmas card on a screen and asking for a caption. She then told viewers to "imagine Mitt Romney and Kanye West as in-laws" if the grandson married North West. One of her guests, comedian Dean Obeidallah, riffed on the sentiment, joking that “I think this picture is great. It really sums up the diversity of the Republican Party, the RNC. At the convention, they find the one black person.” Her other guest, Pia Glenn, sang "one of these things is not like the others" while Perry chuckled.

Both guests have since apologized as well. The incident brought cries of protest from the conservative press and politicians

Read more: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._grandson.html
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

Inactive, & loving Jesus
    Awards Showcase

Ms.pacman New Champion, Cribbage Master Champion, Skee Ball Champion, Pacman Champion, Cribbage Square Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion JTContinental's Avatar
    Blog Entries

God, people, stick to the cue cards.
    Welcome to my crazy game of fetch.

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

I have watched a handful of these Hollywood Reporter interview series and really found them interesting and insightful.
    We All Play for Canada

I forget where I mentioned the speculation over this initially, when there was speculation that Murdoch would launch a bid during the annual Idaho pow wow. Rupert has made his opening bid, and has stated he would sell CNN if he acquires Time Warnerner. Still, this would be a seismic shift in the news and emtertainment industires in the US - Time Warner, despite some setbacks over the past few years, still owns a tremendous number of the most popular media and entertainment "brands" in the world.

Time Warner rejected $80B offer from 21st Century Fox: Sources

Twenty-First Century Fox, the media empire run by Rupert Murdoch, made an $80 billion takeover bid in recent weeks for Time Warner but was rebuffed, people briefed on the matter said on Wednesday.

The bold approach could put Time Warner in play and might again ignite a reshaping of the media industry, prompting a new spate of mega-mergers among the nation's largest entertainment companies.

Mr. Murdoch has built a global media juggernaut over nearly five decades spanning studios, television channels and newspapers, in part, by pursuing bold deals that were often rebuffed at first by the targets of his overtures, only to later acquiesce.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101743276

I wonder how CNN will cover the attempt by the owner of Fox to acquire its parent company?

I also wonder who would be interested in buying CNN? I wouldn't be surprised if Disney would be interested, given their ownership of ABC and ESPN, and the interesting synergies that could be created. Especially with Comcast and Fox both owning a major network, as well as an a 24/7 news outlet.

The trailer for the new TV series "Gotham" look fascinating - it's set at a time before Batman, but with a young Commisioner Gordon. You can see references to at least 4-5 of the better known villians in the trailer:

Gotham" trailer

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Caught two different things yesterday, each of which I liked enough to recommend:

documentary "Underwater Dreams" was on MSNBC. Will likely get shown again. Here's the IMDB page for more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3563782/?ref_=nv_sr_1

John Oliver's new show on HBO: Last Week Tonight lot like The Daily Show with John Stewart, without any cursing getting bleeped. Also, songs with Muppets about incarceration.
    Countdown of great Sue Sylvester quotes from Glee
    #6:
    "Get ready for the ride of your life Will Schuester. You're about to board the Sue Sylvester Express. Destination horror! "

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

I've been watching John Oliver's show - always entertaining - still needs direction but worth the half hour every week.
    We All Play for Canada

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Episode 3 of The Leftovers, the one that focused solely on Christopher Eccleston's Reverend, earned the show a few more outings. It was that good. Unfortunately, episode 4 was more like episodes 1 and 2. Still undecided as a whole . But, I'll probably make it through the season.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I started watching John Oliver's show but the 2nd or 3rd episode started with 15 minutes of one story that I didn't care about. I forgot to give it another try.
    Hello, Grigor.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Episode 3 of The Leftovers, the one that focused solely on Christopher Eccleston's Reverend, earned the show a few more outings. It was that good. Unfortunately, episode 4 was more like episodes 1 and 2. Still undecided as a whole . But, I'll probably make it through the season.
    Oh man are you going to make me start watching it again? I stopped after episode 2 because I just didn't really care much about characters and the story was just too random so far.

For those of us looking to pick up some culture, this is a pretty fascinating (and worth getting excited about) schedule.

Fall PBS Specials Announced - Kristin Chenoweth, PORGY & BESS, SWEENEY TODD, Lady Gaga, Tony Bennett, CATS & More!

Announced today at the Television Critics Association Press Tour, the 2014 PBS Arts Fall Festival returns in September with 11 weekly programs featuring classic Broadway hits, music from around the country and a theater performance by award-winning actor Nathan Lane.

Entering its fourth season, the PBS Arts Fall Festival has become a Friday night fall tradition, reaching more than 33 million viewers since its conception in 2011, and underscoring PBS' ongoing commitment to giving audiences a front-row seat and a backstage pass to the best of the arts on-air and online. The series will be hosted by Emmy and Tony Award-winning actress and accomplished singer Kristin Chenoweth beginning Friday, September 26, 2014 at 9:00 p.m. ET (check local listings).

The schedule:

LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER'S 40th Anniversary Season "'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street' In Concert with the New York Philharmonic"

Friday, September 26, 2014, 9:00 p.m.-11:30 p.m. ET

Throughout its 40-year history, LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER has been a cornerstone of performing arts broadcasting, presenting the world's greatest artists and performances in music, dance, and theater from the New York institution's renowned stages. The New York Philharmonic's acclaimed production of Stephen Sondheim's iconic musical thriller "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street," staged in March 2014 to a sold-out crowd at Avery Fisher Hall, tells the story of a barber who, with his romantically inclined landlady, Mrs. Lovett the piemaker, seeks vengeance on what he considers a merciless world. The remarkable cast features bass-baritone Bryn Terfel in the title role and Academy Award-winning actress Emma Thompson as Mrs. Lovett, with Christian Borle and many more. Multi-Tony Award-winner Audra McDonald hosts.

AUSTIN CITY LIMITS CELEBRATES 40 YEARS

Friday, October 3, 9:00-11:00 p.m. ET

A star-studded special celebrating the trailblazing music series' 40th anniversary. With guest hosts Jeff Bridges, Sheryl Crow and Matthew McConaughey, the two-hour broadcast features memorable moments from the show's remarkable run, anchored by the brightest stars in the show's history returning to the Austin City Limits stage for incredible performances. Highlights include legends Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Foo Fighters, Emmylou Harris, Kris Kristofferson, Gary Clark Jr., Lyle Lovett, Alabama Shakes, Buddy Guy and more celebrating ACL's legacy as an American music institution for the last four decades.

LIVE FROM LINCOLN CENTER'S 40th Anniversary Season "The Nance"

Friday, October 10, 2014, 9:00 p.m.-11:30 p.m. ET

Douglas Carter Beane's "The Nance" stars Nathan Lane as gay headliner Chauncey Miles, who faces a changing world and his own self-loathing during the fading twilight of burlesque in 1930s New York. The play received five Tony Award nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Lane. In addition, the cast boasts Tony Award-winner Cady Huffman, Lewis J. Stadlen, Jenni Barber, and Jonny Orsini.

THE GERSHWINS'® PORGY AND BESS SM FROM SAN FRANCISCO OPERA (by George Gershwin, DuBose and Dorothy Heyward, and Ira Gershwin)

Friday, October 17, 9:00p.m.-12:00 a.m. (Oct. 18) ET

This production of Porgy and BessSM from San Francisco Opera stars bass-baritone Eric Owens as Porgy and soprano Laquita Mitchell as Bess in the turbulent story of a disabled man, the headstrong woman he loves and the community that sustains them both. John DeMain conducts the San Francisco Opera Orchestra and Chorus in this American musical theater staple set in an African-American community on Catfish Row in coastal South Carolina. Porgy and BessSM is based on the play by Dubose and Dorothy Heyward, with music by George Gershwin including the celebrated jazz standard "Summertime."

GREAT PERFORMANCES "Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek LIVE!"

Friday, October 24, 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET

Inspired by their sensational duet in GP's recent Tony Bennett Duets II, the greatest living interpreter of the American songbook has recorded a soon to be released new album with America's reigning pop Diva of today. Teaming up for a very special concert from the stage of Jazz at Lincoln Center'sRose Theater at New York City's Time Warner Center, the duo will perform swinging selections from their Cheek to Cheek collaboration.

MICHAEL FEINSTEIN AT THE RAINBOW ROOM

Friday, October 31, 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET

Two-time Emmy and five-time Grammy-nominated entertainer, Michael Feinstein headlines this all-star evening with performances by Tony winner and Emmy-nominated artist, Christine Ebersole; American Idol sensation Jessica Sanchez; the dynamic tap duo, the Manzari Brothers; Oscar-nominated June Squibb and many more surprises. The performers take the stage at the famed Rainbow Room, the legendary New York restaurant and nightclub where stars were born and legends perform, following its October opening.

HITMAKERS

Friday, November 14, 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET

"HITMAKERS" is an up-close look at the music industry's resilience in the digital age, from the perspective of groundbreaking artists, music label mavericks, and game-changing managers. These crucial players have shaped the music business over the past 100 years, changing pop culture in the process. Today's artists challenge the paradigm further, taking control of their careers and sometimes shucking the system altogether to record and release music on their own. Record labels large and small also have found they must innovate to thrive. Entertaining and thoughtful, "HITMAKERS" boasts an unforgettable soundtrack. The special features interviews and performances from notable artists such as Melissa Etheridge, The Roots' Questlove, Sharon Jones, rising DJ/producer Steve Aoki, and many more.

GREAT PERFORMANCES "Cats!"

Friday, November 21, 9:00-11:00 p.m. ET

One of musical theater's biggest blockbusters returns to GREAT PERFORMANCES for an encore presentation. Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cats reigned over an 18-year Broadway run and unending touring productions that continue to travel the globe. Based on T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book ofPractical Cats," Webber's hit-filled stage version boasts musical highlights aplenty, including Elaine Paige's return to her original role as Grizabella, the faded "glamour cat" singing the show-stopping ballad "Memory."

KRISTIN CHENOWETH: COMING HOME

Friday, November 28, 9:00-10:00 p.m. ET

Emmy and Tony Award-winner Kristin Chenoweth brings it home -- to Broken Arrow, Oklahoma that is -- to perform music from her career. With a classically trained voice set off by a gift for acting and comedy, Chenoweth appears at a state-of-the-art theater that now bears her name, performing Broadway, television and film songs like "Popular" and "For Good" from WICKED, songs from her acclaimed performances on GLEE, and beloved music from LES MISERABLES, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and many more. Backed by a 13-piece orchestra led by Musical Director Mary-Mitchell Campbell, Chenoweth welcomes song and dance friends from Broadway in a program sure to be unforgettable. Produced and directed for television by Scott Lochmus.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...More-20140722#
    Last edited by Moose; 07-22-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2247626869707172