Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4547994100101102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,552 of 1552

Re: Television Random, Random Scripted/NonScripted

Roger Moore denies making ‘racist’ comment that Idris Elba as James Bond would be 'unrealistic'
    BY KIRTHANA RAMISETTI NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Saturday, March 28, 2015, 1:31 PM

Roger Moore wishes the controversy over his remarks about Idris Elba would “live and let die.”

The 87-year-old actor, who portrayed super-spy James Bond in seven films, has come under fire for a Paris Match interview in which scoffed at the idea of the “Luther” star portraying 007.

"A few years ago, I said that Cuba Gooding Jr. would make an excellent Bond, but it was a joke!” Moore said when asked for his thoughts about the casting rumor, which if realized would be the first time a black actor would play Bond.

"Although James may have been played by a Scot, a Welshman and an Irishman, I think he should be 'English-English'. Nevertheless, it's an interesting idea, but unrealistic."

Fans lashed back at Moore on social media, with many particularly outraged by his description that Elba was not “English-English.”

“Idris Elba was born and raised in London how can he not be 'English English'?” one wrote.

“So Idris Elba shouldn't be the next James Bond because he's not English English? I've never heard such nonesense #rogermoore #racism,” another person tweeted.

The “Moonraker” actor took to Twitter to defend himself, claiming his comments had been lost in translation.

“An interview I gave to Paris Match implies I said something racist about Idris Elba,” he tweeted Saturday. “That is simply untrue. #Lost in translation."

While Moore allegedly might not want to see Elba step into Bond’s shoes, a leaked email written by ex-Sony Pictures exec Amy Pascal revealed she was interested in him for the iconic role.

The actor himself weighed in on the rumors not long after the emails were made public last December.

“Isn't 007 supposed to be handsome?” he joked. “Glad you think I’ve got a shot!”

Even before the emails were leaked, “The Wire” star has been considered a popular choice to take over the role. During a 2014 Reddit AMA chat, he was asked if he would like to portray Bond.

“Yes, if it was offered to me, absolutely,” Elba said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2165478
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Turning every comment into a controversy about racism simply dilutes the real problem of racism.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

And then there is this:

(Link to the police-cam is here. It makes such a liar out of her: http://abc7.com/entertainment/taraji...6/#videoplayer)

TARAJI P. HENSON APOLOGIZES TO GLENDALE POLICE OVER RACIAL PROFILING ALLEGATION

GLENDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- Actress Taraji P. Henson has apologized to the Glendale Police Department after accusing an officer of racially profiling her son.

Henson, who plays the no-nonsense music matriarch on the hit TV show "Empire," posted a statement on Instagram Friday afternoon.

"A mother's job is not easy and neither is a police officer's," Henson wrote on Instagram. "Sometimes as humans WE over react without gathering all of the facts. As a mother in this case I over reacted and for that I apologize.

"Thank you to that officer for being kind to my son," Henson wrote.

Henson told Uptown Magazine that her 20-year-old son, Marcell Johnson, was racially profiled in Glendale, where she alleged police pulled him over and illegally searched his car.

"It was bogus because they didn't give him the ticket for what he was pulled over for," she told the magazine.

Following the allegations, Glendale Police Department Sgt. Tom Lorenz said that Henson did not file any complaints of racial profiling with the department. Lorenz also stressed that the Glendale Police Department was one of the first departments in the nation to record audio of officer's interactions with citizens and has been doing so for years.

The video of the traffic stop near Doran Street and Brand Boulevard on Oct. 18 was released on Friday.

Johnson was pulled over for driving through a lighted crosswalk while a pedestrian was walking in it. In the video, Johnson is seen giving his information to the officer. The officer then asks Johnson if he has anything illegal in the car. Johnson acknowledges that he has marijuana in his backpack and is cited for having it without a valid prescription.

"I appreciate you being honest to me about the weed. I do appreciate that because I do smell weed, so thank you for being honest about that," the officer tells Johnson.

The officer did not cite Johnson for the traffic violation or for having Ritalin without a prescription, but confiscated the marijuana.

"I'm not going to give you a citation for running that yellow because that would actually put a moving violation on your driver's license, and you're going to have to do traffic school and all that stuff, so I'm helping you out by not giving you a violation on that. All I'm going to do is take the weed from you," the officer tells Johnson.

Glendale police Chief Robert Castro released the following statement Friday regarding Johnson's traffic stop: "Marcell Johnson admitted to having marijuana, an infraction and Ritalin without a prescription, a felony. Marcell consented to a search of the vehicle. During the search, the officers found marijuana, honey oil (concentrated marijuana), a marijuana grinder and a knife. The Ritalin was not located. A drug recognition officer conducted a field sobriety test and determined that Marcell was not driving impaired. The officers used significant discretion and only cited Marcell for possession of Marijuana since he stated he was leaving the state to attend a new college."

Henson apologized Friday to the officer and the Glendale Police Department after the video was released.

In the interview with Uptown Magazine, Henson also said her son was racially profiled near the University of Southern California campus. She said she decided not to send her son to USC after he was stopped "for having his hands in his pockets."

So instead of USC, the actress is sending him to her alma mater, Howard University, a historically black college.

"I'm not paying $50K so I can't sleep at night wondering is this the night my son is getting racially profiled on campus," Henson told the magazine.

The actress' apology Friday did not mention USC.
    Tennis' version of Cousin It.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Turning every comment into a controversy about racism simply dilutes the real problem of racism.
    I think what ticked people off is Moore saying Elba is not "English English" despite his being born and raised in that country. He knew what he mean, and so did everyone who read the statement. GB is years ahead of the US in terms of blind casting as I've said before so for him to make this statement was surprising. It also says a lot that he was left to fend for himself after making the comment. No one stepped up to say he was misinterpreted.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. His segments so far on the show have been fantastic, so this seems like an inspired choice.
    Last edited by MJ2004; Today at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Trevor Noah to replace Jon Stewart on The Daily Show. His segments so far on the show have been fantastic, so this seems like an inspired choice.
    A lot of my TL on Twitter seem to feel the same way.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

He is great, but he'll need a crash couse in American politics if the show is to keep its success in the US, since he hasn't really lived here, as far as I understand. Sometimes it helps being an outsider to see the issues more clearly (as John Oliver, does for example) but it takes time to understand the system (and Oliver has been living in the US for awhile).

I wonder if he'll just keep doing what the show has been doing or change/transform the show (as Stewart did after taking over from Kilborn).

Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 4547994100101102103104