Agree Agree:  20
Likes Likes:  70
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Scripted TV Random, Random **Spoilers**

I´ve been watching a terrific British show called The Hour. It´s about producing a news program on BBC in the 1950s (specifically, this season is set during the Suez Canal Crisis). There's also a detective kind of component to it as one of the leads is trying to uncover what seems to be a national conspiracy.

The cast and the cinematography (as usual with BBC shows) are really great. And I appreciated how they showed women professionally in this series. It's been compared to Mad Men because of the era, but this is much less stereotypical in this regard.

It´s showing on BBC America but the season has already aired in the UK, so is also available around the interwebs.

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Pan Am (PanAm? Is it supposed to be one word? We may never know.) was actually pretty great. Sexy!flight attendants. Sexy!pilots. Sexy!passengers. The Cold War! Cuba! Air travel! Spies!!!!!!

For real, it was a fun watch. But Christina Ricci was marketed as the star and she had virtually no story line.

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    Ive been watching a terrific British show called The Hour. Its about producing a news program on BBC in the 1950s (specifically, this season is set during the Suez Canal Crisis). There's also a detective kind of component to it as one of the leads is trying to uncover what seems to be a national conspiracy.

The cast and the cinematography (as usual with BBC shows) are really great. And I appreciated how they showed women professionally in this series. It's been compared to Mad Men because of the era, but this is much less stereotypical in this regard.

Its showing on BBC America but the season has already aired in the UK, so is also available around the interwebs.
    Yeah, sounds like I need to watch this immediately.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasfunke View Post
    Pan Am (PanAm? Is it supposed to be one word? We may never know.) was actually pretty great. Sexy!flight attendants. Sexy!pilots. Sexy!passengers. The Cold War! Cuba! Air travel! Spies!!!!!!

For real, it was a fun watch. But Christina Ricci was marketed as the star and she had virtually no story line.
    I thought it was cute. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. I was laughing at the whole Bay of Pigs scene. Are they playing this as satire like Desperate Housewives? I couldn't tell.

I also think Mike Vogel is all wrong for the Captain. I'm sure he's old enough, but he looks really young and he's only a year or two removed from films like She's Out Of My League.

As for Christina Ricci, not much to do yet, but it's interesting seeing her in a role other than her usual weird or off-beat characters.

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I thought it was cute. Not sure how long I'll stick with it. I was laughing at the whole Bay of Pigs scene. Are they playing this as satire like Desperate Housewives? I couldn't tell.

I also think Mike Vogel is all wrong for the Captain. I'm sure he's old enough, but he looks really young and he's only a year or two removed from films like She's Out Of My League.

As for Christina Ricci, not much to do yet, but it's interesting seeing her in a role other than her usual weird or off-beat characters.
    Oh, the Bay of Pigs scene was so cheesy! It's Mad Men for network tv. Easy, fun stuff.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So we finally got around to the premier of "Charlie's Angels". I liked it. I thought it started off kind of wonky. The acting seemed over the top but once I got into the groove of what it was about I really enjoyed it.

Plus, the ex-future Mrs. Derek Jeeter Minka Kelly (formerly of "Friday Night Lights") is a freaking knock out. Knock. Out.

Definitely give it a second go.

Minka Kelly
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Minka is a hard act to follow but I wanted to say that "Person of Interest" picked up right where it left off. Looks like this will be a keeper.

Should also note that Caviezel has had just the one rather chaste bedroom scene and that the violence has not been cartoonish and over the top. Also haven't seen a lot of shoot to kill stuff although there has been a lot of shooting. I guess they are taking his values into account.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Minka Kelly was in the "much more enjoyable than it should have been" remake of Single White Female called... The Roommate? I'm not sure of the new title.

As per usual, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia makes me crap my pants with laughter every week.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I tried Suburgatory... great cast (Jeremy Sisto, Cheryl Hines as a bimbo, that girl that used to be on Weeds, Ana Gasteyer), bottomless premise. But it's just not well-written enough. I do give them lots of credit for using Lily Allen's "F*ckYou" throughout the first episode

Up All Night is kind of a disappointment, although it has moments. I did like the featuring of Bjorn Borg underwear

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Minka is a hard act to follow but I wanted to say that "Person of Interest" picked up right where it left off. Looks like this will be a keeper.
    Still haven't gotten to watch the first one...but glad to hear if I do it'll be worth it!
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

We're still playing catch up. "Person of Interest" is still in the queue along with Danielle in the first 2 episodes of "Harry's Law" and "Pan Am".

I'm in the middle of a really good book and that's sucking away some of the usual TV-time.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

With (another) new baby at home we have about an hour window each night when we can watch TV...and I was away a couple weekends so we're already falling behind! Plus we're both huge football fans so we only have 5 hours a week available ... and I'm usually out one or two of those.

On a side note...Minka Kelly was sent to a few people today

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    With (another) new baby at home we have about an hour window each night when we can watch TV...and I was away a couple weekends so we're already falling behind! Plus we're both huge football fans so we only have 5 hours a week available ... and I'm usually out one or two of those.

On a side note...Minka Kelly was sent to a few people today

Are you and your wife deeply observant Catholics, or what?

I wish I could blame it on that (since we are Catholic) ... but it's really the wife. Think she's finally satisfied this time.

Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456781429 ... LastLast