Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0

New Shows of Note

Really looking forward to the new Sarah Michelle Gellar show "Ringer" that debuts this Tuesday. Reading the synopsis it sounds like a bad soap opera but so did "Buffy" and look what that turned out to be.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: New Shows of Note

According to Entertainment Weekly, the five best new shows are:

Person of Interest, CBS
    Homeland, Showtime
    Up All Night, NBC
    2 Broke Girls, CBS
    American Horror Story, FX

According to TVGuide, the top new shows are:

The X-Factor, Fox
    Person Of Interest, CBS
    2 Broke Girls, CBS
    New Girl, Fox
    Pan Am, ABC

I am excited to watch "Up All Night." I love love love Christina Applegate and the entire cast is comedy gold.

I'm very curious about X-Factor. I miss Simon (when he's actually interested) and Paula, and I'm totally fascinated by all of The Pussycat Dolls, who all must have sold their souls to get so famous.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Person of Interest looked...interesting to me. But maybe that was just because Ben Linus is in it
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

I really only watch TV comedies. "Whitney" looks like it will run out of ideas fast. I love Whitney Cummings, but I don't think a sitcom is the best outlet for her. "Up All Night" actually looks like it may have the same problem. A much more acclaimed cast, but how many baby jokes can you make?

Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    I really only watch TV comedies. "Whitney" looks like it will run out of ideas fast. I love Whitney Cummings, but I don't think a sitcom is the best outlet for her. "Up All Night" actually looks like it may have the same problem. A much more acclaimed cast, but how many baby jokes can you make?
    I'm surprised you would say that about "Up All Night." I think it could have a healthy run. I see it as being more about "adult kids," thirty-somethings who haven't had to officially grow up yet. In the preview they showed Christina Applegate advising her star client to bring a gun to an airport, and they showed Will Arnett having a heart to heart with a HALO buddy. I think there's plenty of material to be found in her job and him being a stay-at-home dad.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    Agree about "Whitney" probably will be cancele after 3 episodes.

Thanks for the links skatingfan. "Grimm" is my kind of show.

Looked at the trailers for "Revenge", "Terra Nova" and "Prime Suspect". I'll wait and see if they last more than a few episodes before watching. No need to get vested in something that gets canceled after three weeks.
    There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

― Frank Zappa

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I really don't want to get tied to too many series, so if they are not at a time I am normally available, I will not be recording them.

For example - Terra Nova, Mondays at 7 PM central - no way. That is weekly brother dinner night.

Ringer - Tuesday at 7 PM - is fine. I usually stay home that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm surprised you would say that about "Up All Night." I think it could have a healthy run. I see it as being more about "adult kids," thirty-somethings who haven't had to officially grow up yet. In the preview they showed Christina Applegate advising her star client to bring a gun to an airport, and they showed Will Arnett having a heart to heart with a HALO buddy. I think there's plenty of material to be found in her job and him being a stay-at-home dad.
    I guess I've seen the wrong ads. I've only seen ones with them playing peekaboo and looking tired or complaining to the camera about how tired they are. I'll keep hope!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I read a couple of website's previews for the new season, and both agreed that the Whitney show is bad. The ad they've played really often certainly doesn't make me want to watch. I have no idea who they star is, but apparently she's also connected to another new show (as producer, maybe) which has much better prospects.