Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: The Hurricane Irene Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasfunke View Post
    Is that real?
    It was sent to me in an email. Not sure whose tumblr it is or how they got the picture.

If you ask if it's feasible, yes it is.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasfunke View Post
    Is that real?
    NYC subway system often gets flooded when it is heavy rain.. it will get much worse than that.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

a nevernude
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    NYC subway system often gets flooded when it is heavy rain.. it will get much worse than that.
    Huh. So it's basically hell on earth down there when it rains heavily, right? I can imagine all the soggy, smelly people

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

2 million people without power right now.

I keep thinking about my friends from here who live there. I hope you're all prepared. Please be safe.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, I am on the party bus on the way to the Rangers game, and a woman kept repeating over and over 'It's hot in here. The air isn't blowing. Why is it so hot in here? I don't feel any air." Granted, it was not as cool as it should have been in there. But, it was on and it was 107 outside. Hard to keep things cool. But, she kept repeating it like by repeating it, something was going to change. I so badly wanted to remind her what they are going through in the northeast and she is complaining about what? - a few degrees?

I guess what I'm saying is somehow, 107 just didn't seem so hot today.

Hope everyone is OK.

Storm seems to have passed through DC. Didn't lose power, which is a miracle, especially since a transformer went down across the street and occasionally burst into flames, making an incredibly loud humming sound.

The wind was strong but it was quiet. The rain was heavy but it too was quiet. It was all oddly quiet. Except for the sparking transformer, of course.
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I looked over at my clock/radio, saw numbers, and let out a quiet, yet deliberate

Still raining and very windy, but outside of my yard looking like a swamp, all is well. According to the radio, lots of trees down, and a lot of flooding. About 300,000 in the Philly area without power.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

I´m not feeling anything here in Stamford (yet?). Just rainy outside the window, no wind.

Grand Central Terminal this morning.

Darren Cahill posted this picture of Park Avenue on Twitter
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I´m not feeling anything here in Stamford (yet?). Just rainy outside the window, no wind.
    One of our friends further up in CT in Guilford had a tree blown over onto power lines in her front yard. Looks like you got lucky.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    One of our friends further up in CT in Guilford had a tree blown over onto power lines in her front yard. Looks like you got lucky.
    wow, looks like it! I haven´t ventured outside yet...

Riverside Drive and W 83st Manhattan

Flooding at train yard 148st and 7th Ave in Manhattan on the #3 subway line

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is still expecting a lengthy and protracted recovery from Hurricane Irene, transit officials said. Many parts of the system have yet to be inspected by repair workers who are waiting out the final hours of Hurricane Irene.

It remains unlikely that the city's mass transit system will be back to full-speed for the Monday morning commute, officials said, although they said the damage might have been far worse if the agency had not taken the highly unusual action of preemptively shutting down the entire system.

Many of the low-lying train yards and bus depots expected to be affected by the storm are now underwater, officials said, including subway yards in Coney Island and Upper Manhattan. Subways and buses were removed from those yards on Saturday and stored elsewhere so they would not be damaged by water.

"The actions that we took were the right ones," said Jeremy Soffin, a spokesman for the authority. Had the trains and buses not been removed, "you'd have an enormous problem," he added.

The agency is waiting for high winds to die down before sending workers onto the subway system's elevated tracks to look for damage. And the 13 underwater subway tunnels, where officials expected some degree of flooding, have not been examined yet either, officials said.

The Metro-North Railroad, which serves the suburbs of New York and Connecticut, is reporting problems. The entire New Haven Line is currently without power due to electrical shutdowns in Connecticut. And the railroad's New Canaan branch has lost power because of a tree collapsing onto overhead electrical wires used to run the trains.

Wires in the railroad's New Haven yard were damaged by fallen trees, and some railroad electrical substations were reported to be without power.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ngthy-recovery

Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast