Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Hurricane Irene Thread

Are any of our New York TATeurs evacuating?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jtdrum10 View Post
    Like a true mid-westerner
    Yeah, while I'm hiding in the tub with the flashlight having a one-on-one with God.

In all my years of studying these things, I'm not sure it'll veer off course. It will weaken (it is as we speak, for it's taking on dry air) and only be a tropical storm by it gets to the Northeast, especially if it makes a proper landfall in North Carolina.

The big hurricane that has heat New England before is the 1938 storm.
    I have to suggest to our New Englanders to look at this article about it as prep.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_Hurricane

Irene will is forecast to hit at high tide too. There could be really nasty flooding and I doubt any play Monday at the Open will happen.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Hello all TAters

Hope you are all well. Just wanted to say, please stay safe during the storm. I'll be thinking of you guys.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS
    second Decima of the year !!

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

ITA with Madame -- speaking as a person who hates windstorms in ANY category, and Irene sounds like a doozie. I gather that Winston-Salem is shut down for the rest the day ---- ???

Blog Entries

Ditto to what Madame said: Please stay safe, East Coasters.
    " All they can do is beat him. They cannot ever be his equal." ~Al Laney on Big Bill Tilden

I'm not in an evacuation zone thank goodness. That said with the subways shutting down I'm grateful I have food, water and shelter. Many don't.

I went out to watch some tennis today and the place was packed. I mean packed like it would be for an afternoon during the Open.

I was there Tuesday and most if not all of the stores except for the food court were closed. Today Nike was open as well as the USTA stores and they were doing a brisk business.

With the transit and rail systems shutting down on purpose this time (not like the blizzard where the storm made the decision) that will affect Monday at the US Open. The best way to get there is by mass transit and while I haven't heard a news report yet yesterday they were saying "sometime Monday" the system would be restored.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Let's just hope that BJK US Tennis Center doesn't suffer any damage.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A few years ago Hurricane Ivan was only a tropical storm by the time it reached Atlanta but we still had a lot of flooding, wind and loss of power for over 24 hours. So please stay safe, everyone.

Stay safe everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Let's just hope that BJK US Tennis Center doesn't suffer any damage.
    No kidding. If the flooding and winds come as expected it could delay the start of the Open even if the grounds themselves are relatively undamaged - some damage (trees) are probably unavoidable. Hard to imagine they would start the tournament if the transit was shut down and large parts of Manhattan were without power - just wouldn't look right.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aedra1119 View Post
    A few years ago Hurricane Ivan was only a tropical storm by the time it reached Atlanta but we still had a lot of flooding, wind and loss of power for over 24 hours. So please stay safe, everyone.
    And I believe Atlanta is at a fair of elevation, whereas New York City is essentially at sea level. Wishing the best for all of you.

New Yorkers had never heard this sort of announcement before out of the context of a transit strike.

“The system will begin to shut down at noon on Saturday. All services — bus, subway and the railroads — will begin to shut down at that time,” said MTA Chairman and CEO Jay Walder.

Walder said the MTA has no choice. He said it will take up to eight hours to get equipment and personnel out of harm's way, and with the worst of Hurricane Irene starting to hit the city sometime Saturday evening, that means starting their last runs at around noon.

“It will protect the safety of our customers, the safety of our equipment and allow us as much as possible to put the services back after the storm,” said Walder.

Walder said it’s too early to tell exactly when that will be, however.

As an example, he pointed to the 13 under-river subway tunnels that connect Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. He said storm surge may leave them flooded, and the agency has just three trains with gear to pump that water out.

Walder said it’s anybody’s guess as to how much service there will be for Monday morning's rush.

Subway riders were taking the mass transit shutdown in stride Friday.

“Stay home, avoid the rain and the pieces of debris flying around and floods, all sorts of stuff when hurricanes come,” said one commuter.

“I’m excited. Get to stay in for the weekend, watch some movies. Hopefully the power doesn't go out,” said another.

Some may wonder about how to get around following the MTA service shutdown.

Starting Saturday at 9:00 a.m., the Taxi and Limousine Commission will let taxis and other for-hire vehicles conduct group rides to handle more passengers using a zone plan.

It's also letting liveries, black cars and commuter vans pick up street hails.

Those with their own cars should know that alternate side rules are suspended and that meter fares will be suspended.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said there'll be no restriction on private cars provided the drivers feel comfortable driving in a hurricane.

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stori...ene-approaches
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

That's actually kind of surreal.

A guy on The Weather Channel just said that the town that never sleeps is being forced to take a nap this weekend.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just saw TWC's Mike Seidel getting whipped around by the wind on a beach in Nag's Head NC.

He's been doing this crap (along with Cantore and Morrow) since I was a kid watching these things make landfall. Total weather GOATs.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

I don't know if it is just me but when hurricanejeanne posts something in the Hurricane Irene thread there is a hurricane bunch of jokes swirling going around my head.
    Sorry
    Missing winter...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast