Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: We Just Had an Earthquake!

Structural damage, even collapse, in Louisa, VA, which is the epicenter.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Just curious so I checked, a bunch of tennis players tweeting about the earthquake from NYC. Was it actually something to be felt that far away?
    Mariya is in NYC and she said she felt it.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

They evacuated the stadium and interrupted matches in New Haven.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    Just curious so I checked, a bunch of tennis players tweeting about the earthquake from NYC. Was it actually something to be felt that far away?

It was felt up to Toronto and several buildings in NYC were evacuated (but for no real reason, honestly).

We only felt it mildly in Manhattan, but Shvedova (?) tweeted people at USO grounds "started running"

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    It was felt up to Toronto and several buildings in NYC were evacuated (but for no real reason, honestly).

We only felt it mildly in Manhattan, but Shvedova (?) tweeted people at USO grounds "started running"
    LOL. Awww.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Photos of the devastation now emerging.

http://www.grist.org/list/2011-08-23...ast-earthquake

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Lol.

So I was sitting watching Voskoboeva playing her opening round qualie match on Court 10 and the bench I was sitting on started swaying side to side, left to right. A rather large gentleman had taken a seat next to me and I thought at first it was the movement of him taking the seat.

It lasted for a couple of minutes. I decided better safe than sorry and missed seeing Bepa and Gael to get home. I had planned to see Radwanska the Younger play her first set and then wander over to the Grandstand.

I'm sure people in California are laughing at our reactions here.

Luvs, no way this compares to what you've been through.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm not laughing at all. I know how unsettling, to say the least, it can be.

Now the area has to prepare for Irene, who's barreling towards you this coming weekend.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

MSNBC is showing some pretty substantial damage in Mineral, VA, which was close to the epicenter.

Blog Entries

Glad everyone's ok. Yesterday we felt a small one here and I was panicking. Sorry but I'm really scared of earthquakes.

Stay staying safe all.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Very small, but what a bizarre feeling!

The sheep in the field didn't even bother to stop eating!
    One of the benefits of being not so well endowed. The sheep don't even realize what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I have a WHOLE new appreciation for what you've been through! Even though this was nothing.

I still can't get my heart rate down.

The dog is under the bed and won't come out. LOL!
    Yes, they 'like' their sheep in NZ too.

Now Dry, you've had your kicks for the day.....the earth has moved as they say, and your heart is racing. Please leave the dog alone! though I fear that your maniacal 'LOL' indicates that it's already too late for the poor thing

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    The Nisqually one? Maybe they thought it was "THE BIG ONE" - they always used to scare us as kids with that. I remember in 1st grade, they made us watch this weird documentary about how Seattle's going to get levelled by one of the biggest earthquakes on record (....sometime in the next 900 years). It was really unsettling.
    Let's hope it's sooner rather than later. Something needs to put Grey's Anatomy out of it's misery!

::
    ::

Er, stay safe everyone

I am SO pissed I missed all the excitement. Picked the wrong time to be in Canada .
    It's hard out here for a Zuz.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Not much really happened to affect anything for me personally.

It does make me realize that the lab is probably the last place you want to be in a more dramatic quake... tons of chemicals, bottles, even heavy old equipment all stacked up on the shelves above every workbench. I wouldn't be crushed where I am, barring a ceiling collapse which isn't out of the question as it's one of the original buildings here, but it would certainly do some damage.

The commute home was a nightmare. I guess a lot of people left early, but it didn't end up mattering much as the metro was running very slow as a precaution for possible track damage. So it took forever and ended up at about the same density anyway due to the backlog. I was standing the whole way, which wouldn't normally be a problem but my 5 stops took about 4-5 times as long as it should. Almost an hour. Nuts. Annoying to see 25 mph cars passing with ease on the parallel road at the above-ground end of the line. I guess I should be happy they just didn't stop service, though.

I hear that the Washington monument is closed as cracking was observed. National cathedral was mentioned. The news did show a bunch of collapsed buildings/etc, but I don't know where those were. Not much if any damage really reported around here. Metro is running back at full speed today. A bunch of mainly schools closed today(?) and some telework policies apparently automatically kicked in.

Some funny clips on the news of people reacting. Like one football player being interviewed, then he gets a shocked look on his face and takes off running.

Ultimately, there is nothing much to this, it seems. No aftershocks or anything. There was that super tiny quake in the middle of the night about a year ago now. But this has been my only real exposure to an earthquake. Interesting experience rare to this area. I'm more amused by the hype and media play it's gotten.
    Last edited by James7; 08-24-2011 at 06:01 AM.
    I disapprove of this message

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Oh, and once again cellular phone service was proven to be useless in the event of a real emergency.

Couldn't place a call until about 6pm. The network was clogged I guess. My mom my panicking for some reason.
    I disapprove of this message

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast