Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Prizes for this years' Winners of the USOSP

Thanks to our friend Randy Walker and New Chapter Press, we have copies of the book "The Wimbledon Final That Never Was . . .: And Other Tennis Tales from a By-Gone Era" by Sidney Wood and David Wood for our Mens' and Womens' US Open Suicide Pool champion this year.

A description from the publisher:

The only time in the history of Wimbledon that the men’s singles final was not played is told in detail by the crowned champion in this illuminating tennis biography. Sidney Wood won the 1931 Wimbledon title by default over Frank Shields—his school buddy, doubles partner, roommate, and Davis Cup teammate—in one of the most curious episodes in sports history. Wood tells the tale of how Shields was ordered by the U.S. Tennis Association not to compete in the championship match so that he could rest his injured knee in preparation for an upcoming Davis Cup match. Three years later the story continues when he and Shields played a match at the Queen’s Club for the Wimbledon trophy. Also included are a compilation of short stories that deliver fascinating anecdotes of the 1930s and a signature document of the play and styles of 20th-century tennis legends.
    As always, if there is a single winner of the game, they shall take the prize, in addition to a medal. IF there is more than one winner, we will have a tiebreak to determine the winner of the prize.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Re: Prizes for this years Winners of the USOSP

*insert boastful comment declaring that this time will be different, this time I will emerge victorious and take my rightful place in the pantheon of TAT suicide pool winners*

while knowing full well that it's never going to happen

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Which reminds me...my prize for women's Wimbledon SP from L Jon was "Come to Win" by Venus Williams. Got it a few weeks ago.
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Read our review of The Wimbledon Final That Never Was... And Other Tennis Tales from a Bygone Era HERE

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Prizes for this years' Winners of the USOSP

Since this was mentioned back at the very beginning of our game, I wanted to remind everyone that this is the prize for this year's winners - and also take another moment to thank Randy Walker, and New Chapter Press, for their donation of the books to TAT.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)