Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Gay Marriage Approved by N.Y. Senate

By NICHOLAS CONFESSORE and MICHAEL BARBARO
    Published: June 25, 2011

ALBANY - Lawmakers voted late Friday to legalize same-sex marriage, making New York the largest state where gay and lesbian couples can wed, and giving the national gay-rights movement new momentum from the state where it was born.

The same-sex marriage bill was approved on a 33 to 29 vote, as four Republican state senators joined 29 Democrats in voting for the bill. The Senate galleries were so packed with supporters and opponents that the fire marshals closed them off. And along the Great Western Staircase, outside the Senate chamber, about 100 demonstrators chanted and waved placards throughout the night - separated by a generation, a phalanx of state troopers and 10 feet of red marble.

"Support traditional marriage," read signs held by opponents. "Love is love, Vote Yes," declared those in the hands of the far more youthful group of people who supported it.

Senate approval was the final hurdle for the same-sex marriage legislation, which is strongly supported by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and was approved last week by the Assembly. Mr. Cuomo is expected to sign the measure soon, and the law will go into effect 30 days later, meaning that same-sex couples could begin marrying in New York by midsummer.

Passage of same-sex marriage here followed a daunting run of defeats in other states where voters barred same-sex marriage by legislative action, constitutional amendment or referendum. Just five states currently permit same-sex marriage: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont, as well as the District of Columbia.

The approval of same-sex marriage represented a reversal of fortune for gay-rights advocates, who just two years ago suffered a humiliating, and unexpected, defeat when a same-sex marriage bill was easily defeated in the Senate, which was then controlled by Democrats. This year, with the Senate controlled by Republicans, the odds against passage of same-sex marriage appeared long.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/article?a=808698&f=19

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Re: Gay Marriage Approved by N.Y. Senate

I'm so happy for many of my friends

Meanwhile, a friend just posted this story on Facebook:

Right after hearing it passed, she got on the subway and ended up in a car with Cynthia Nixon, her partner, and their children, who announced the news to the car, and everyone cheered

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow. Last I heard they were still 1 vote short and it was looking grim, even as Bloomberg, who supported the bill, was threatening to make sure Republicans who voted against it would basically be eliminated from his "I'll help this person out" list. Guess that strategy worked.

That's really cool.

Of course, I imagine the legal challenge is imminent.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A friend from my White Plains / Tarrytown days texted me about 10 minutes after I heard the news on the radio that he had proposed to his partner of 28 years. They will finally get to have the wedding at the Washington Irving House that they always wanted.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think the final sticking point was an amendment allowing religious organizations freedom to discriminate. Sorry for the negative tone, but the amendment was simply ridiculous. It's not like there's an amendment that allows the Catholic church to deny marriage ceremonies to those who are divorced.

Yes. It's a wonderful thing! I cried watching the vote. It's a win for civil rights. It's a win for Gay rights. But it's also a win for religion, which, in my opinion already has too much power in government.

[/rant]

Alternate post: WOOHOO!!!
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

About time!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I think the final sticking point was an amendment allowing religious organizations freedom to discriminate. Sorry for the negative tone, but the amendment was simply ridiculous. It's not like there's an amendment that allows the Catholic church to deny marriage ceremonies to those who are divorced.

Yes. It's a wonderful thing! I cried watching the vote. It's a win for civil rights. It's a win for Gay rights. But it's also a win for religion, which, in my opinion already has too much power in government.

[/rant]

Alternate post: WOOHOO!!!
    While it is stupid since religious institutions are already free to not marry people who don't follow their belief structure or the rules they have laid out for marriage I've never seen any particular harm in such amendments. If that is all it takes to shut people up and let gay marriage move forward then it sounds like a good tradeoff to me. It doesn't create any law or particular prohibition it simply rewrites something that is already true. Plus it puts a stop to the ill informed people who think its going to take over their church; some people are homophobic and some are just not too bright. I know there is an indignity to it but what do you really lose?

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Yes!!!!!!!!!! About damn time!!
    Open wide.

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    About time!

While it is stupid since religious institutions are already free to not marry people who don't follow their belief structure or the rules they have laid out for marriage I've never seen any particular harm in such amendments. If that is all it takes to shut people up and let gay marriage move forward then it sounds like a good tradeoff to me. It doesn't create any law or particular prohibition it simply rewrites something that is already true. Plus it puts a stop to the ill informed people who think its going to take over their church; some people are homophobic and some are just not too bright. I know there is an indignity to it but what do you really lose?
    Ditto.

Glad to hear it passed! About time indeed!

Vamos!

I saw Dan Savage speak today and he was obviously a little distracted and emotional about this thing playing out. Call me a foolish optimist but this is the stuff that sustains my faith in this crazy nation.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    About time!

Stop making sense.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Empire State Building went rainbow

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Oh, wow! Love it!!

This is big move forward for our country.
    "Whatsoever is contrary to nature is contrary to reason, and whatsoever is contrary to reason is absurd." Baruch Spinoza

Re: the amendment to protect the rights of religious institutions -- I have no problem with it, but aren't they guilty of providing "special rights".

And here republicans who took over the General Assembly for the first time in over 100 years in the midterms are working on amending the state constitution to ban gay marriage. This is the only southern state without one. Not to mention this week the governor had to veto a voter ID bill. Glad to see there are some places putting these pointless social debates to rest (and in a bipartisan manner, no less).
    Blue Steel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast