Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

2011 Wimbledon SkanTest

Hello Everybody -

So this will be the official TAT thread for the 2011 Wimbledon SkanTest. Ace has been quick off the draw and the site is already set up, with a whole bunch of folks already signed up. What the heck - why wait for the draw??? Here's the entry page:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/sk...on_SkanCanTest

I still haven't caught my breath since the French Open - so there's no changes to the rules at this point.

Before I say anything else, I doff my hat to TAT's most excellent staff for tolerating the SKanTest as an outside contest. Of course, it does provide an opportunity for the posters here at TAT to kick some serious butt [if you know what I mean].

But that won't happen unless you get your entries in. Of course, we are always delighted to have new contestants to vie for the winner's prize - a modest gift of my selection from the wonderful product lines of the Royal Canadian Mint !!!!

So let's get on with it, shall we?

Peter
    TIHBS TIHBW

Avatar --> Politician 1: Philosopher King

Re: 2011 Wimbledon SkanTest

Before I go any further, deepest apologies to Jadesa and Omess, who have yet to receive their prizes for having won the AO and French Open SkanTests, respectfully. Postal workers are currently locked out here in Canada ... will get to this as soon as I can!!!
    TIHBS TIHBW

Rules, rules, rules ...

Wait a second, what's a game or contest without rules?

So then - first off ... everyone is welcome to participate: the more the merrier

And as I mentioned -previously ... there is a prize for the winner yes - a modest gift of my selection from the product line of the Royal Canadian Mint!! What more incentive do you need =

To enter your team, go here [but promise you'll come back to TAT after = ]:

http://www.tennisgamers.com/board/sk...on_SkanCanTest

If you're not registered on that site you'll need to take a minute or so to do that, but Ace has made it easy-as-pie !! [Just so you know]

Here's how to play and pick your team:

1. The contest winner will be the poster whose registered team earns the highest number of points at the end of the tournament.

2. Valid entries consist of a team of 6 players [3 men and 3 women] all of whom must be included in the official tournament draw.

3. Rule 3 [The 30-rank rule]: The sum total of the current rankings of your players must be no less than 30 [though it can be more than 30]. If you pick an unseeded player, the host site automatically assigns a ranking.

OK ... TO BE CLEAR: YOU ENTER THE RANK, NOT THE SEEDING. TAKE THE VALUES FROM THE TABLE ON THE ENTRY PAGE. YES, SERENA IS RANKED 26, FAR DIFFERENT FROM HER SEEDING. THAT'S A BENEFIT IN MEETING THE 30-RANK RULE IF YOU INCLUDE HER ON YOUR TEAM.

IMPORTANT: Also: do not enter rankings for unseeded players. The Contest Administrative staff will look after that. Simply leave the ranking values blank for any such players on your team.

4. The order of your 6-named players is the most important factor in naming your team. It represents the weighting of your players for purposes of earning what I call "domination points" .

Here's a sample entry:

Team Smoking on Grass

1. Serena [Ranking = 26]
    2. Federer [Ranking = 3]
    3. Djokovic [Ranking = 2]
    4. Na Li [Ranking = 4]
    5. Sharapova [Ranking = 6]
    6. Raonic [Ranking = 26]

Total of Rankings = 67

Cheerleader[s]: The Merry Wives of Windsor

5. You cannot name a team consisting of the same players in the same order as a team already entered. However, you can enter a team consisting of the same players as another team, provided those players are in a different order. If you try to enter a team already registered, the entry gets rejected =

6. OK - it's not really a rule, but what’s a team without a cheerleading squad. So go ahead and nominate a cheerleader[s], just for fun. In fact, they don't even have to be a registered player. Be creative!

7. Assign a name to your team. You can edit the team name if you wish. Some day, hopefully before I die, I'll post a shortlist of some of the mroe creative entries

8. Good news: You don't have to even wait for the draw to come out [though that's not a bad idea], because you can change the composition of your team any number of times up to the start of play. But once play starts, that's it, you've "LOCKED IN THOSE LYRICS", um, so to speak.

________________________________________________ ___

SCORING

OK - here are the basics:

1. Domination Points:

These are based on how soundly your players beat their opponents. A key factor in calculating these points is how high you have seeded them on your team. For example, if you seed Djokovic 2nd on your team and he spanks Dasco 6-0 6-0, you will get 60 points; however, if you seeded Nole 5th on your team, you will only get 24 points. On the other hand, if your player loses, you will lose the corresponding number of points. Also, no winning player will be penalized for losing more games than their opponent. In such cases the default is 0 points.

2. Progression Points

You get additional points whenever your players advance to the next round [10 for round 1, 20 for round 2, 30 for round 3, 50 for round 4, 80 for Round 5, etc.]. Catch on?

3. Quality Points

You get further points when your player defeats an opponent who is seeded in the tournament. The number of points is based on how highly the opponent is seeded. For example, if you have the #1 seed on your team and they defeat the 20th seed, you get 13 points [33 - 20].

If you need ANY help at ALL, please post a message!

Welcome to the game and good luck to all contestants!!

PeterSkan
    TIHBS TIHBW

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

It is gonna be pretty easy to hit 30 this time
    A Canadian Slam winner? Inconceivable!

Bump to get your teams in. 34 so far and counting
    TIHBS TIHBW

Have to say I probably shouldn't have come up with a team name first and then made up a team. The team name influenced my selection.
    Go Pack Go!

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Tied for first so far!! Thanks again Peter!!
    Open wide.

Time running out ... get your teams in
    TIHBS TIHBW

I'm in
    World Series or Bust!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Quick Words Champion, Yeti Sports 3 - Seal Bounce Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in!
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

I am in

bump to get us to 75 teams =
    TIHBS TIHBW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSkan View Post
    bump to get us to 75 teams =
    70 teams with just over 6 hours to go.

Get yours in =
    TIHBS TIHBW

I'm in, with probably a personal high for a ranking points total.

The leader of the Contest gets to name the tiers for the next round. For the RG that was the equivalent of wearing the yellow jersey. Buckingham Palace called to say that would be completely inappropriate for Wimbledon.

So instead I'll draw on the milestones for the annual Oxford - Cambridge Boat Race on the Thames.

First team to the Black Buoy [i.e. the Round 1 leader] gets to rename the four tiers. [You should know the drill by now].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boat_Race
    TIHBS TIHBW

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast