Agree Agree:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 45 123451126 ... LastLast

[Golf] News and Discussion

Greetings, golfing enthousiasts, spectators, detractors and n00bs ;D Welcome to the central thread for anything and everything to with golf. This is the place to be to discuss PGA, LPGA, European, Ladies European, SPGA, APGA and all other tours and tournaments as well as the players.

A good place as well for those amongst us who (want to) play the game. Do your irons see more trees than fairways? Does your ball enjoy water more than it should? Ask for or share with us any tips you may have!

Let's tee up! ;D

Re: [Golf] News and Discussion

First thought: Michelle Wie playing in the European Masters should never have happened?

Current score: M Wie US +15 17

So okay... She's young, lacks experience, just fired a good caddie and is basically in need of a reality check. I can't fault her for wanting to try, but just looking at this score is painful. And she wants to play Ryder Cup in the future? Or does her dad want this? Does Nike?? I say she needs to haul her butt back to the LPGA Tour and stick to that for a coupe of years just to get the experience she so obviously needs. Talent only gets you so far...

Michelle Wie

Teenager Michelle Wie crashed out of the European Masters after finishing 15 over for two round at Crans-sur-Sierre.

The 16-year-old again hit some wild shots and ran up successive double bogeys in a 79 that left her three adrift at the bottom of the field. Playing partner Nick Dougherty did not fare much better, suffering a quadruple bogey in a 72 for a nine-over total.

Wie was at a loss to explain her wayward driving and said: "I didn't even know what sport I was playing out there." She dismissed suggestions that she did not warrant a place on the leading European men's tour. She said: "You can't learn to play against men by playing against women. This doesn't scare me off it makes me more determined."

The Hawaiian now intends to work with coaching guru David Leadbetter ahead of an appearance on the men's tour in America. "I think I know what to work on," she said. "But I'm looking forward to wider fairways and bigger greens!"

Wie has now missed the cut in nine of her 10 men's appearances and European Tour boss George O'Grady said he would need "a lot of persuading" before she was invited back to a tour event. "She is a phenomenal talent that has not played to her potential. We can see the interest it created but I think it's time to evaluate and take stock."

I know Leadbetter is good, but he ain't a genie from a lamp with a wish to grant now is he?

Has Michelle Wie even won a title on the LPGA tour, yet?

I consider it laughable that she tries to compete with the men when she has achieved NADA on the women's tour. And quite frankly, I think it hurts her more than it helps her. While players like Paula Creamer are winning titles on the LPGA, Wie is being criticized for playing with the men.

I know this has been said often, but I hope she makes the right decision by winning some titles on the women's tour and then deciding to play with the men.

Quote Originally Posted by cphsrsh
    Has Michelle Wie even won a title on the LPGA tour, yet?

I consider it laughable that she tries to compete with the men when she has achieved NADA on the women's tour. And quite frankly, I think it hurts her more than it helps her. While players like Paula Creamer are winning titles on the LPGA, Wie is being criticized for playing with the men.

I know this has been said often, but I hope she makes the right decision by winning some titles on the women's tour and then deciding to play with the men.
    Agree, agree, agree! The big question is: who wants this? Is it really Michelle's own dream to play on the men's tour and win? Or would Nike love nothing better than to have a sh**load of attention go their way bu her participation in those tournaments? Or is it her dad's bright idea? It's just amazing that none of the three parties mentioned seem to be too worked up about Michelles wanting to do something she's not ready for by lightyears. She may be a great talent, but she's also still a teenager and she will need things to boost her confidence, not get stuck in this circus where frustration is about all she's really taking from it. Too bad...

Re: [Golf] News and Discussion - WMP draw!

World Match Play draw:

(1) Michael Campbell v (16) Simon Khan
    (8) David Howell v (9) Colin Montgomerie
    (4) Retief Goosen v (12) Paul Casey
    (5) Adam Scott v (13) Mike Weir
    (3) Jim Furyk v (14) Robert Karlsson
    (6) Ernie Els v (11) Angel Cabrera
    (7) Luke Donald v (10) Tim Clark
    (2) Tiger Woods v (15) Shaun Micheel

I'm going to be a daring little chappy and say Monty actually has a chance to do well here. Tough draw for Tiger, though, should make for a good couple of days of golf

Wow, Oplo. First tennis draws and now golf draws?!

God, I profess my ignorance here : How the heck did Tiger get the #2 seed? Isn't he the #1 player in the world miles ahead of everyone else?

Anyways, I love these match-play tournaments. They're a bit like the sport I'm more familiar with.

Wow, Oplo. First tennis draws and now golf draws?!

God, I profess my ignorance here : How the heck did Tiger get the #2 seed? Isn't he the #1 player in the world miles ahead of everyone else?

Anyways, I love these match-play tournaments. They're a bit like the sport I'm more familiar with.
    I'll start posting draws for curling tournaments soon 8-)

The defending champion gets to be the first seed Looking at the draw, I'm sure Campbell will be thrilled ;D

Ladies and gentlemen... Here's a small update of the first round of the World Match Play championship

First round latest: After
    M Campbell NZ 1 v S Khan Eng 16 22
    2up

D Howell Eng 8 v C M'omerie Sco 9 21
    2 up

R Goosen SA 5 v P Casey Eng 12 20
    1 up

A Scott Aus 4 v M Weir Can 13 19
    2 up

J Furyk US 3 v R Karl'on Swe 14 18
    (resumes at 1254) 5 up

E Els SA 6 v A Cabrera Arg 11 18
    (resumes at 1306) 1 up

L Donald Eng 7 v T Clark SA 10 18
    1 up (resumes at 1318)

T Woods US 2 v S Micheel US 15 18
    (resumes at 1330) 3 up

Furyk and Woods both have their work cut out for them over the second stretch today, it would seem!

And Tiger is out!

He lost to Shawn Micheels?!

And Tiger is out!

He lost to Shawn Micheels?!
    He played some loose shots, Micheel played very solid. Pretty much 1+1 = Tiger exit. :')

Monty meets Woods in Ryder opener

Europe's Colin Montgomerie and Padraig Harrington will take on Americans Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk in Friday morning's opening Ryder Cup fourballs.

Stewart Cink and JJ Henry play England's Paul Casey and Swedish rookie Robert Karlsson in the next match. David Toms and Brett Wetterich face Spanish duo Sergio Garcia and Jose Maria Olazabal at Ireland's K Club. Phil Mickelson and Chris DiMarco meet England's Lee Westwood and Northern Ireland's Darren Clarke.

Both the opening match of the 36th Ryder Cup, which is scheduled to start at 0800 BST, and Friday's final fourballs encounter catch the eye. Clarke is playing in only his second tournament since his wife Heather died last month from cancer, and will be given vocal backing by the Irish crowd.

The pairings were announced during an opening ceremony on Thursday watched by thousands of spectators at the Kildare venue. Europe captain Ian Woosnam said he had expected his opposite number Tom Lehman to begin with Woods and Furyk, the world's two top-ranked players.

"I thought they were going to come out as strong as they possibly could," said Woosnam. "I expected Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk to be off first, and I had an inkling that Phil Mickelson and Chris DiMarco would be off last. So I think with Padraig and Colin off first and Darren and Lee off last, that's going to be two fantastic fourballs."

World number one Woods has won 12 majors, but has a largely disappointing Ryder Cup record, while veteran Montgomerie is Europe's talisman. The Scot has been on the winning Ryder Cup side four times in seven appearances, and holed the winning putt as Europe retained the trophy with an 18½-9½ win at Oakland Hills in 2004. Montgomerie and Harrington won the opening fourballs of that competition, beating Woods and Phil Mickelson.

"There's been a lot of talk about Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk playing together," added Woosnam. "It's going to be a big boost for us if we can beat that pairing. That would give confidence to the rest of the team. But if we lose it, there's three more matches to go."

Friday morning's fourballs will be followed by the foursomes in the afternoon.

Lehman said: "I knew they would put a very strong team out first and I know that Monty likes to go first. So I expected Monty to be in that first group with Harrington. I wanted to meet strength with strength. The first point is important so I think you want to lead with your best. But it's not the end of the match. I feel like we have four very strong teams, and if somebody falters, the other guys pick it up. That's the essence of a team. In a team, you cover for each other."

Ryder Cup - Friday's fourballs (All times BST)

0800 Padraig Harrington/Colin Montgomerie (EUR) v Tiger Woods/Jim Furyk (USA)
    0815 Paul Casey/Robert Karlsson (EUR) v Stewart Cink/JJ Henry (USA)
    0830 Sergio Garcia/Jose Maria Olazabal (EUR) v David Toms/Brett Wetterich (USA)
    0845 Darren Clarke/Lee Westwood (EUR) v Phil Mickelson/Chris DiMarco (USA)

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Woo Hoo! ;D

Ryder Cup and Davis Cup to watch this weekend.
    Go Europe! Go Monty!

Go Australia!! (Just to wipe the smirk off Nalbandian's face - am losing all respect for him)

It's singles day in the Ryder Cup (please leave your name and phone number in the basket by the gate and make sure you mention the name of the player you'd like to date) and as things stand, well... The USA are getting a spanking.

The day started at 10-6 after the fourballs and foursomes saw some strong performances by Garcia, Furyk and Clarke and a, at times, dismal display by Tiger Woods. The current score is 10-7 but as things stand, Europa would win 18-10. Ouch? Not likely, though. Plenty of holes left in this one

Could someone please tell me how Nathalie Tauziat managed to get herself on the European Ryder Cup team?

OOPS, my bad, that was Lee Westwood.
    Old News= Madison Brengle. New News- It's All About Amanda Fink Chichi Scholl, FULL CIRCLE OF LIFE MADISON BRENGLE BABY!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 45 123451126 ... LastLast