Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast

Re: [Golf] News and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    My memory works in splashes. Wasn't it two years ago that Morgan was in contention for the USO crown before Birdie Kim nailed that amazing shot for birdie (ironically enough) from the 18th bunker?

It was either Pressel or another young American.

jj
    It was Presel. There was a lot of talk about that shot at the time with many calling it a fluke. Morgan is doing quite well by the way - has already won a major and is ranked #6 at the moment.
    Last edited by suliso; 07-01-2007 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks, beau and suliso. I didn't even know Morgan had won a major. I'm guessing she would only be around 19 now so that's very impressive.

I don't follow the LPGA as much as I'd like. I think the reason Pressel stood out to me during the '05 Open was because the commentators discussed the Krickstein connection. They said at one point Herb Krickstein had originally taken Morgan out onto the tennis court. He decided she was a great ball striker, but lacked the movement to ever be one of the game's greats, so he decided to take her off the court and onto the green. Looks like he made a good decision.

I also loved that she took Michelle Wie to task on this playing PGA events nonsense.

jj
    Blue Steel

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Thanks, beau and suliso. I didn't even know Morgan had won a major. I'm guessing she would only be around 19 now so that's very impressive.

I don't follow the LPGA as much as I'd like. I think the reason Pressel stood out to me during the '05 Open was because the commentators discussed the Krickstein connection. They said at one point Herb Krickstein had originally taken Morgan out onto the tennis court. He decided she was great ball striker, but lacked the movement to ever be one of the game's greats, so he decided to take her off the court and onto the green. Looks like he made a good decision.

I also loved that she took Michelle Wie to task on this playing PGA events nonsense.

jj
    Pressel earlier this year won the Kraft Nabisco LPGA Championship. And yes, the PGA tour-playing is ridiculous. I'm glad Morgan said something. Apparently someone needs to.
    I'll miss you!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Just bringing this up again for the British Open if anyone is interested.

And Tiger is off to a flying start! He is bidding for a 3rd successive Open title.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm a big Jim Furyk fan, Morct. He's from the same town (West Chester, Pa) that I work in, and he's got the most entertaining swing in the sport right now.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Thanks Morct. Isn't this supposed to be one of the hardest courses in the world?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Thanks Morct. Isn't this supposed to be one of the hardest courses in the world?
    Yes Ti, but it has been toned down from the last time the Open was played there in 1999(I think). That time a few players left the course in tears. The leader on day one ended up missing the cut, and the rough was compared to jungle!

That's why the players all look so happy today 'cos they are relieved it won't be as tortuous this time.

And just so everyone knows an irish man is leading at the moment on -5, Paul McGinley.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm a big Jim Furyk fan, Morct. He's from the same town (West Chester, Pa) that I work in, and he's got the most entertaining swing in the sport right now.
    I like Jim Juryk too Moose, but he always looks sooooooooo serious. He needs to go hang out with Marat for a few nights.

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    Yes Ti, but it has been toned down from the last time the Open was played there in 1999(I think). That time a few players left the course in tears. The leader on day one ended up missing the cut, and the rough was compared to jungle!

That's why the players all look so happy today 'cos they are relieved it won't be as tortuous this time.

And just so everyone knows an irish man is leading at the moment on -5, Paul McGinley.
    This is a links course right? The NYTimes had an article just about the course on Sunday btw.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    This is a links course right? The NYTimes had an article just about the course on Sunday btw.
    Yep, links.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Will Sergio finally throw off the curse of the black spider??

He's on -8, 2 shots ahead of Steve Stricker of the USA, on the back 9 of the 3rd round.

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

I'd love to see Sergio finally win a major!

Blog Entries

He's on -8, 2 shots ahead of Steve Stricker of the USA, on the back 9 of the 3rd round.

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

Hmmmm I'm still thinking he'll choke as usual. Maybe this time he'll prove me wrong. Not a fan so.

Foxy
    A. D. A. M. MEMBER FOR LIFE
    --------------------------------------------------
    I am not ashamed of Gospel of Jesus Christ!

If It Doesn't Matter What You Believe, Then It Doesn't Matter If You Believe At All...I Choose To Believe In My GOD

I don't know if you guys ever heard Chris Rock (I think) talk about golf and how it's obviously based on the pimpfabulous styles of the fifties.

I'm convinced that he's right. Will someone explain Boo Weekley?
    Thank you.

Looking at the leaderboard this is Sergio's to lose but stranger things have happened. It would be his first major in how long? Does the curse end once you've managed to excel at your line of work again?

Tiger tied 16th on -1.

Totally agree, morct. A Sergio win (finally!) would be great!

jj
    Blue Steel

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

The promise at 19 finally coming through at 27 would be like golf's version of Amelie Mauresmo.

Best of luck Sergio!

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast