Agree Agree:  4
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: [Golf] News and Discussion

WELL DONE EUROPE!

Very proud to be irish after the wonderful display of the K Club and the irish fans.

Ryder Cup: Europe beats USA

Europe have thrashed the USA 18.5-9.5 to win the Ryder Cup for a record third time in a row after dominating the singles at the K Club in Ireland.

Luke Donald held his nerve at the 17th to beat Chad Campbell and ensure the hosts retained the trophy in Ireland.

It was left to Swedish rookie Henrik Stenson to knock in the decisive putt and take Europe past the winning post.

And an emotional Darren Clarke broke down in tears after sealing a superb 3&2 victory over Zach Johnson.

LATEST ACTION (all times BST):

1710: The crowd switch into crooning mode with a rendition of Irish favourite "The Fields of Athenry".

1705: Most of the players have bottles of champagne on the go, but Darren Clarke raises the stakes by downing a pint of Irish Guinness. And then the players join the crowd assembled below their balcony in singing "one Ian Woosnam". Woosnam responds by downing a pint of Guinness himself.

Well done indeed, and the crow definitely seems to be a wonderful lot, morct! Can't wait to see some of this on television. I'll probably need a tissue when they show Darren Clarke's response :-[
    Coach Marion, at your service!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'll probably need a tissue when they show Darren Clarke's response
    It was very emotional. He was embraced by his caddie who has been with him forever and he broke down. But he got it together quickly enough. Tom Lehman and Tiger both embraced him also.

Both teams have behaved themselves impeccably (sp?) which doesn't always happen at the Ryder Cup.

A nice moment on the final day: Paul McGinley's singles match went to the 18th hole, he had about a 2 foot putt and his opponent J. Henry had about a 20 foot putt, but Paul, like the gentleman he is, halved the game. Of course Europe had already won at that stage!

Byron Nelson dies

Golfing legend Byron Nelson has died, aged 94.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...son/index.html

Always knew the name and a *bit* of the guy's story, but there's so much more. The above article is a good place to start.

[Golf] Arnold Palmer quits - at age 77

Another of golf's legends has left the course, though this time just to retire. The way it ended was not all that pretty, unfortunately.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Have a good retirement, mr. Palmer! Thanks for a lifetime of inspired golf!

Sebs: not a word

One of the weirder inspirirational stories ;D Check it out!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/golf/6190944.stm

I don't know his name, but good luck to him.

I notice that Michelle is not making much progress in the men's events. Plan B time?

Quote Originally Posted by Louche
    I don't know his name, but good luck to him.

I notice that Michelle is not making much progress in the men's events. Plan B time?
    I remember plan B being "fire your caddy" ;D :P She wants to keep playing in the men's events, but she's shooting rounds of around 80 with alarming frequency. She's been working with David Leadbetter and she's determined to keep working on her game while going nowhere fast. Nike will be so pleased. Anyway... She'll be trying plan M by now. She's lucky she's still young and has time on her side to work things out and put that talent to good use.

Continuing the Michelle Wie story: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...631260,00.html

I'll bite my tongue for now

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie View Post
    Continuing the Michelle Wie story: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...631260,00.html

I'll bite my tongue for now
    She has been in the news over here a lot (but not in a good way) in the last week or so.

The shooting over 88 was part of the story, but that week she also took part in a pro am round of golf. The amateurs paid a lot of money to play with her, and apparently she was obnoxious and paid them very little attention.

Don't know what she is thought of in America, but she is getting very bad press over here.

Michelle is a classic example of what not to do.

Current and future punchline to many a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by morct View Post
    She has been in the news over here a lot (but not in a good way) in the last week or so.

The shooting over 88 was part of the story, but that week she also took part in a pro am round of golf. The amateurs paid a lot of money to play with her, and apparently she was obnoxious and paid them very little attention.

Don't know what she is thought of in America, but she is getting very bad press over here.
    She also got blasted by Sorenstam for withdrawing from Sorenstam's Ginn Tribute tournament because she was "injured" yet she was in practice again te very next day. Arrogance? She said she didn't owe Sorenstam an apology and has been blaming everyone else for all that's gone wrong since the big bucks started rolling. Even golf guru Leadbetter got a sneer for saying she should focus on the women's tour instead of trying to compete against the men all the time.

Louche, you're so very right. The way this is going, she'll up a joke indeed, as well as a name circled with a red marker in Nike's annual financial report.

- edit -

And here's some more reading: http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...631997,00.html

I'm so bummed. I bet money on Aaron Baddeley for the Masters and the Players Championship. I did not, however, bet on him this week (110/1 )
    ADAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrjiggyfly2 View Post
    I'm so bummed. I bet money on Aaron Baddeley for the Masters and the Players Championship. I did not, however, bet on him this week (110/1 )
    Good odds for a Baddeley win, Mr. J?

Quote Originally Posted by oploskoffie View Post
    Good odds for a Baddeley win, Mr. J?
    Those were good odds. I actually put a very small amount on Casey at 80/1. But with Baddeley making a 7 on the first hole, I think it will be Tiger.
    ADAM Member

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 1234561227 ... LastLast