Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

F4 Tornado Levels Joplin, Missouri

I don't know if anyone else is following this. I've been listening to the Jasper County law enforcement scanner for the last 90 minutes of so. I've been matching first-responders' cited locations and the incoming requests for help to a map of Joplin. From what I can gather by looking at the maps, the damage path starts on the southwest side of town, crossed I-44 business route, and continued on the other side. It appears that the northern and extreme southern portions of town were not badly hit. But everything in the middle appears to be, well, gone. So many roads are blocked that the dispatchers have to give first-responders totally whack directions to get to parts of town that should be a straight shot.

The current death toll is 37, but that's going to be only a fraction of the final toll as officers are reporting the discovery of bodies on the scanner and asking where to take them. They can't set up the portable morgues quickly enough.

It's just horrible.

The Joplin High School is gone. One of the cities two hospitals sustained very heavy damage (see video below), with one nurse reporting that she witnessed a patient being sucked out of the window by the tornado. Apparently a bunch of people are still trapped in a Wal-Mart. Seven deaths at a nursing home.

There are widespread reports of looting, including reports of people looting dead bodies for cash, jewelry, and other valuables.

It's all just so sad.

And of course, there are people having heart attacks, women giving birth, etc.--things that happen all the time and are unrelated to the storm--those things don't stop in a time like this.

It's just awful.

Video at the link and a brief overview of the damage.

http://www.firefighternation.com/vid...oplin-missouri

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: F4 Tornado Levels Joplin, Missouri

I have been following this all evening. I guess the damage to St. John's Hospital was pretty heavily damaged. The governor is dispatching the Missouri National Guard throughout the state.

On a related side note: Looters should be shot and killed on the spot. Those looting dead bodies should be shot in the legs and left to endure a slow painful death.

Alabama is still trying to recover from 4/27/11 with EF-5 hitting Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and etc...

Therefore, feel sorry for the people in Joplin, MS
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I have been following this all evening. I guess the damage to St. John's Hospital was pretty heavily damaged. The governor is dispatching the Missouri National Guard throughout the state.

On a related side note: Looters should be shot and killed on the spot. Those looting dead bodies should be shot in the legs and left to endure a slow painful death.
    Agreed. Here in Alabama, looters were arrested and their mug shots were shown on TV which I liked.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The problem with looters is that their stupidity forces law enforcement personnel to abandon the most important task of search and rescue and focus their energy on some dingbat with the moral compass of a long-time United States Congressperson.

I stopped listening to the Jasper County scanner last night around 1 a.m. when a second police officer called in asking for more body bags.

Video of tornado and aftermath. There are some crazy people in this world but without them we wouldn't get footage like this.

Warning for some explicit language.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_865461.html
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Oh, and about looters?
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Death toll is now 116 and still climbing.

Blog Entries

Heartbreaking
    " All they can do is beat him. They cannot ever be his equal." ~Al Laney on Big Bill Tilden

Eh, some people just have too little luck in life...
    Roger forever

CNN played the whole five minutes of the people in the frozen food locker of the convenience store. You couldn't see anything but you could hear the people, the wind, the destruction. By the time it was over, I was crying. Cannot imagine what it was like actually being there.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Joplin, Missouri (CNN) -- The toll from the tornado that ripped through Joplin soared to 116 on Monday, a city official said, tying it for the single deadliest twister to ever hit American soil since the National Weather Service began keeping records 61 years ago.

Full story at: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/23/mis...ex.html?hpt=T1

::

This fatality total has remained steady throughout most of the day. That's encouraging. Though I'm mystified as to how they have been able to cover a 6-mile stretch that's at least a .5 mile wide over the course of just more than 24 hours. Unless they haven't finished. But the number hasn't changed for several hours. And there's a massive number of emergency personnel on the ground. So maybe this is it. Or close to it. I'm hopeful.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Video of tornado and aftermath. There are some crazy people in this world but without them we wouldn't get footage like this.

Warning for some explicit language.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_865461.html
    "Dude, the trees are debarked."

Simply terrifying. That was one big emeffing tornado. I didn't realize it was an F4 until Dry posted that above. What a tragedy.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    "Dude, the trees are debarked."

Simply terrifying. That was one big emeffing tornado. I didn't realize it was an F4 until Dry posted that above. What a tragedy.
    But what made this twister especially bad is that it was only moving about 20-30 mph, in spite of horrific wind speeds. Unlike other tornadoes that sweep down and do their thing and move on. This one just, well, sat there. And spun.

But local officials have said that the storm's slow speed went a long way toward saving lives on the east side of Joplin. Gave people more warning. Most of the casualties, as I understand it, were on the west side of Main Street.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast