Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: F4 Tornado Levels Joplin, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post

Obviously if they're stealing food and drink or a tent or a gas heater or blankets or anything else to keep them and/or their family alive, it's a completely different story.
    I like to believe this is always the case, even if it isn't.

Basically, you're saying a person should be executed on the spot for stealing and/or desecrating a dead body. That's way too Old Testament for me. I don't believe such a punishment fits the crime here.

Have you guys seen the video of the hovering telephone pole from one of the recent tornadoes?

This is the only video I can find of it. It's been shown on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Watch at around :14 seconds into the video.

It freaking creeps me out.

Hovering telephone pole
    My goodness that was eerie.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don Miller fought the tears back today when he called to ask how to get obituary information in the paper for his son.
    Miller said his son’s body is among the 122 others in a temporary morgue for tornado victims.
    “We can’t go out there. We can’t see him. But, we’re going to have a memorial service for him one way or another,” said Miller, of Joplin.
    His son, Ray Donald Miller, III, better known as “Tripp” to his friends and family, died at Freeman Hospital West from injuries he received in the tornado. Tripp Miller survived the tornado long enough for his parents to be with him when he died.
    Tripp Miller, who was born with Down Syndrome, was “everybody’s friend,” said his father.
    “We’ll have a memorial for Tripp on Friday. When we’ll get his body, I don’t know. But, we’re going to remember him. It’s all we can do right now.”

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x19...orial-services

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I like to believe this is always the case, even if it isn't.

Basically, you're saying a person should be executed on the spot for stealing and/or desecrating a dead body. That's way too Old Testament for me. I don't believe such a punishment fits the crime here.
    I hear you. I'm sure most others around here would agree. I just have a different idea about anti-social (especially violent) behavior.

There's just something especially depraved about stealing from others in a community that is enduring a major tragedy like the Joplin tornado. Especially -- especially -- from the dead bodies of victims of such a tragedy.

What little property these people have left cannot be protected in the usual ways. So, in my opinion, it should be protected by any means possible. The normal system of law and order is, for obvious reasons, suspended in a tragedy like this. The looters can't be arrested, handcuffed, taken into custody, and placed in a holding cell. Besides, any person with the desire to get their new DVD player by stealing from these victims simply doesn't have the moral capability that is needed to live in a civilized society.

I'm sorry for getting snippy like I did. I just find it so frustrating that you, or anyone, really, would think these people deserve anything more. I honestly can't understand that position.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Don Miller fought the tears back today when he called to ask how to get obituary information in the paper for his son.
    Miller said his son’s body is among the 122 others in a temporary morgue for tornado victims.
    “We can’t go out there. We can’t see him. But, we’re going to have a memorial service for him one way or another,” said Miller, of Joplin.
    His son, Ray Donald Miller, III, better known as “Tripp” to his friends and family, died at Freeman Hospital West from injuries he received in the tornado. Tripp Miller survived the tornado long enough for his parents to be with him when he died.
    Tripp Miller, who was born with Down Syndrome, was “everybody’s friend,” said his father.
    “We’ll have a memorial for Tripp on Friday. When we’ll get his body, I don’t know. But, we’re going to remember him. It’s all we can do right now.”

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/x19...orial-services
    God bless, Tripp. May he rest in peace.

I'm sorry for getting snippy like I did. I just find it so frustrating that you, or anyone, really, would think these people deserve anything more. I honestly can't understand that position.
    No apology needed, but accepted nonetheless.

We don't execute people on the spot unless we're depraved ourselves. Even if you judge the looters as depraved (I see them as desperate, misguided, flawed, but utterly human, still) civilized people don't answer depravity with depravity.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

No apology needed, but accepted nonetheless.

We don't execute people on the spot unless we're depraved ourselves. Even if you judge the looters as depraved (I see them as desperate, misguided, flawed, but utterly human, still) civilized people don't answer depravity with depravity.
    Well, obviously I don't equate the two acts. Nor do I consider myself depraved or uncivilized. (Of course there was that short period of time I was a Djokovic fan. )

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm sympathetic with the immediate sentiment, but I just cannot get behind an idea of execution that can lack context, accountability, or even witnesses. Maybe too detached, but my mind quickly moves to ramifications and what ifs and the window for abuse is huge.

Not that you're REALLY suggesting it (I don't think, anyway).
    I disapprove of this message

Well, obviously I don't equate the two acts. Nor do I consider myself depraved or uncivilized. (Of course there was that short period of time I was a Djokovic fan. )
    Ha!

At least we're consistent. I'm against capital punishment, too.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ha!

At least we're consistent. I'm against capital punishment, too.
    Consistency is virtuous.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123