Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: F4 Tornado Levels Joplin, Missouri

Seriously. Think about the last time you drive in a 25 mph zone. And how slow it felt.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winston View Post
    CNN played the whole five minutes of the people in the frozen food locker of the convenience store. You couldn't see anything but you could hear the people, the wind, the destruction. By the time it was over, I was crying. Cannot imagine what it was like actually being there.
    I just heard about a minute of that video... "I love you guys. I love everyone." That really got to me.

Anderson Cooper is interviewing the guy who recorded that on his iPhone and several other people who were in that food locker. They said that the convenience store clerk made sure that everyone else was in the locker before he himself went inside. They called him a hero.

He said that there were about 20 people inside this thing and that it was about 10' x 7'. After the tornado passed and they all came out, they realized that the rest of the store had been destroyed. The only thing left was that food locker that they were in.

I can't even imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Alabama is still trying to recover from 4/27/11 with EF-5 hitting Tuscaloosa, Birmingham and etc...

Therefore, feel sorry for the people in Joplin, MS

Thoughts and prayers for you and the people of your state Patrick, and to all the people in Joplin too, for having to deal with such unimaginable devastation!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post

On a related side note: Looters should be shot and killed on the spot. Those looting dead bodies should be shot in the legs and left to endure a slow painful death.
    Why?

Here in Alabama, looters were arrested and their mug shots were shown on TV which I liked.
    The notion of an execution escapes me.

This I like.

There's nothing like a tornado. Words really can't describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegadoom View Post
    Thoughts and prayers for you and the people of your state Patrick, and to all the people in Joplin too, for having to deal with such unimaginable devastation!
    Thanks as recovery will take some time. Meanwhile, some people in Alabama are gathering supplies for Joplin, MO.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I have been following this all evening. I guess the damage to St. John's Hospital was pretty heavily damaged. The governor is dispatching the Missouri National Guard throughout the state.

On a related side note: Looters should be shot and killed on the spot. Those looting dead bodies should be shot in the legs and left to endure a slow painful death.
    Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Why?
    Really? You have to ask why? Because anyone who would take advantage of a tragedy like this to cop some free shit doesn't deserve to live.

In. My. Opinion.

And to take anything off of a dead body is even worse.

Obviously if they're stealing food and drink or a tent or a gas heater or blankets or anything else to keep them and/or their family alive, it's a completely different story.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have no words.
    Nursing home lost at least 11 in Joplin twister
    Searches continue ahead of new storms; 1,500 people unaccounted for

JOPLIN, Mo. — As rescue crews in this city made their way through the debris of thousands of homes and concrete slabs where large stores once stood, the death toll crept higher and a nursing home operator reported that at least 11 of the fatalities were at its premises.
    "What used to be a building was nothing more than a pile of rubble," said Bill Mitchell, who operated Greenbriar on the city's south side. Ten victims were residents and the 11th was a staff member, he added. One person remains unaccounted for.
    "One of the little old men from the nursing home was standing in the middle of the street when we came out of the house," neighbor Sandy Conlee told the Joplin Globe in describing the aftermath. "He had blood all over his head. He was in shock."
    Conlee's brother and two sons went inside to search for survivors. "They said they wished they hadn't," she added. "There were bodies and broken bones and blood."
    Staff at Greenbriar and another heavily damaged facility, Meadows Care Center, had received a warning that the storm was coming and started moving people into the halls. But it hit quicker than expected, Mitchell said.
    More warning, he said, "wouldn't have mattered."
    Greenbriar, which had 89 residents, and Meadows Care Center, which had 104, have been able to send survivors to other facilities.
    The overall death toll rose Tuesday to 122, Joplin City Manager Mark Rohr said. He said more than 750 people were injured.
    The twister was the deadliest single tornado to touch down in the U.S. since the National Weather Service began keeping official records in 1950, and the eighth-deadliest single twister in U.S. history.
    The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration on Tuesday upgraded the Joplin tornado from EF-4 to EF-5, a category reserved for the fiercest and most devastating twisters. The agency said winds reached more than 200 mph.
    Some 1,500 people were reported missing, according to Keith Stammer of Jasper County Emergency Management. That tally could include many who simply have not yet been able to let relatives know they are fine, authorities said.
    The Joplin area was also bracing for new storms,
    after forecasters warned that a vast swath of the United States could be hit by severe thunderstorms — with a risk of tornadoes in Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri, including Joplin.

Full story at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43147795...ther?GT1=43001

Thanks as recovery will take some time. Meanwhile, some people in Alabama are gathering supplies for Joplin, MO.

Thats impressive, and shows they have a lot of class and character, considering their circumstances!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've had to turn off CNN simply because of the heartbreaking interviews they're doing. People looking for loved ones or describing the horror they endured. Words just can't describe the heartbreak.

How impressive that people from Alabama are gathering supplies for Joplin? The generous human-spirit is alive and well.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Have you guys seen the video of the hovering telephone pole from one of the recent tornadoes?

This is the only video I can find of it. It's been shown on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Watch at around :14 seconds into the video.

It freaking creeps me out.

Hovering telephone pole

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Have you guys seen the video of the hovering telephone pole from one of the recent tornadoes?

This is the only video I can find of it. It's been shown on CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Watch at around :14 seconds into the video.

It freaking creeps me out.

Hovering telephone pole
    It's like a floating crucifix...

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    It's like a floating crucifix...
    I'm sure the interpretations of that are rich in certain christian circles.

I can't digest 1500 ppl missing.
    Open wide.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

National Weather Service: Denning, Ark., Destroyed By Tornado

FORT SMITH, Ark.
    -- The National Weather Service is reporting that a large, dangerous tornado has destroyed the town of Denning, Arkansas, in Franklin County, just south of Altus.

The tornado hit the area about 12:15 a.m., and it continued to the northeast. Spotters reported that this large tornado was up to a mile wide at one point just before it struck Denning.

40/29 News reporter Kelly Johnson said there was lots of structural damage in the Denning area, with live power lines down in the area, and no access into Denning from the north side of town.

At least one caller reported that their home had been destroyed in Denning.

Kelly Johnson and 40/29 News reporter Tony Russell were both on the their way to the Denning area about 12:35 a.m.

Denning had a population of 270 in the 2000 U.S. Census.

http://www.4029tv.com/r/28015067/detail.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast