Page 863 of 863 FirstFirst ... 613763813838853859860861862863
Results 12,931 to 12,942 of 12942
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Politics Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    Translation: The insurance companies will save money, so they gave Trump the go ahead.
    Bingo. Allowing providers to bill for telehealth services pre-COVID was fairly rare. Typically, it was done in a "case by case" basis. But it took something like COVID to force insurers to more widely embrace the practice. Which they have done, mostly because they had to.

But many rural communities were touting this long before COVID. Hell, telemedicine goes back a long way. I wrote about it here and there when I did project work for the Federal Office of Rural Health Policy (early 2000s). But it was generally greeted with a "Oh look, what a cute idea..." sentiment from policymakers who figured there'd never be a suitable, widespread substitute for face-to-face provider/patient encounters.

And of course, it should be expanded to Medicaid--not just Medicare--so the dingbat is still partially wrong. Still, it is a step in the right direction.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

My other concern here is that either:

1. There will be no funding to implement the changes
    2. It'll be contracted to a Trump-affiliated startup that isn't qualified

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    My other concern here is that either:

1. There will be no funding to implement the changes
    2. It'll be contracted to a Trump-affiliated startup that isn't qualified
    Don 't forget the multi million dollar loan the startup will get from Tiny...
    ďNo matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.Ē Ė Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Don 't forget the multi million dollar loan the startup will get from Tiny...
    Right, that's what I meant with "Trump-affiliated." I'm sure they'll donate that money back to his campaign, which he'll then pay his hotels.

Aug 3, 2020
    Donald Trump Interview Transcript With Jonathan Swan of Axios on HBO

Jonathan Swan: (00:52)
    Thank you so much for having us. Weíre over here, Mr. President. Thank you. Kelly.

President Donald J. Trump: (01:07)
    Okay.
    Jonathan Swan: (01:09)
    Mr. President, thank you for joining us.
    President Donald J. Trump: (01:10)
    Thank you very much.
    Jonathan Swan: (01:11)
    We appreciate you taking the time, and we appreciate your commitment to answer our questions.
    President Donald J. Trump: (01:16)
    Sure.
    Jonathan Swan: (01:16)
    We really appreciate that. Over the years, Iíve heard you talk about your adherence to a philosophy called positive thinking. Is this the mantra that if you believe something, if you visualize it, then it will happen?

President Donald J. Trump: (01:29)
    To an extent. I also think in terms of the downside. I do. Iíve been given a lot of credit for positive thinking, but I also think about downside because only a fool doesnít.
    Jonathan Swan: (01:40)
    To what extent do you think that that positive thinking mindset is suitable to handling the worst pandemic that weíve seen in a century?

President Donald J. Trump: (01:49)
    I think you have to have a positive outlook. Otherwise, you would have nothing without a positive outlook. I think weíve done an incredible job, between the ventilators and stopping very infected people from China coming in, meaning putting the ban on China, which frankly nobody wanted me to do, practically nobody because it was very early in January. Then putting the ban on Europe, not an easy thing to do. When you put a ban on Europe, thatís a big thing. We would have probably lost hundreds of thousands of lives more had I not done that.
    President Donald J. Trump: (02:18)
    And all of the experts, every one of them, not one of them wanted to do it. They thought it was too severe. Three months later, theyíre all saying, Iím glad you did it.
    Jonathan Swan: (02:27)
    The criticism of you that is most prominent, is about the communication. Itís the public health experts saying that it needs to be based in reality. And theyíre saying that the wishful thinking and the salesmanship is just not suitable in a time when the pandemic has killed 145,000 Americans. And I understand what youíre saying, that people need to hear positive thinking, but for the past five months itís been, the virus is totally under control, and the cases have been going up and the deaths have been going up
    President Donald J. Trump: (02:59)
    Look, look.
    Jonathan Swan: (03:00)
    But youíve been saying itís under control.

President Donald J. Trump: (03:01)
    Nobody knew what this thing was all about. This has never happened before. 1917, but it was a totally different, it was a flu in that case. Okay? But other than 1917, thereís never been anything like this. And by the way, if you watch the fake news on television, they donít even talk about it. But you know, there are 188 of the countries right now that are suffering, some proportionately far greater than we are. Okay? As bad as we are.
    Jonathan Swan: (03:24)
    Very few. [crosstalk 00:03:25]

President Donald J. Trump: (03:24)
    Some proportionately greater than we are. Right now, right now, Spain is having a big spike. There are tremendous problems in the world. You look at Moscow, look at whatís going on with Moscow. Look at Brazil, look at these countries whatís going on. This was sent to us by China, one way or the other, and weíre never going to forget it. Believe me, weíre never going to forget it.
    President Donald J. Trump: (03:46)
    And we were beating China at every single point. We were beating them on trade, we were making progress like nobodyís ever made progress. Before the pandemic, they had the worst year, Jonathan, that theyíve had in 67 years. You know that. With the tariffs and everything else I did, we would taking in billions of dollars. I was giving some of it to the farmers. The farmers were doing well because they were targeting the farmers, I was targeting China. We were doing good.
    President Donald J. Trump: (04:14)
    Then all of a sudden, the game changed, and I had to close it down. I closed down the greatest economy ever in history.
    Jonathan Swan: (04:21)
    I-

President Donald J. Trump: (04:21)
    Well, wait. And then, I closed it down. And now weíre opening it. And we saved, by the way, by closing it down, we saved millions of lives. If we would have gone to herd and we knew very little about the disease, if we wouldíve gone herd, we would have lost millions of people, millions of people. One personís too much. Weíre at 140,000 people. One person is too much. Weíre at 140. We would have lost millions of people. And those people that really understand it, they really understand it. They said, itís incredible the job that weíve done. And again, I bring it up, the ban-
    Jonathan Swan: (04:58)
    Who says that?

President Donald J. Trump: (05:00)
    Banning China from coming in far earlier-
    Jonathan Swan: (05:03)
    But it was already in here.

President Donald J. Trump: (05:05)
    Whatís that?
    Jonathan Swan: (05:05)
    It was already here. By the time you banned China, it came in through Europe.

President Donald J. Trump: (05:08)
    Nobody knew the extent. Nobody knew how contagious it was. You know What? Maybe China knew.
    Jonathan Swan: (05:12)
    But the question is, Mr. President, by June we knew things were bad. And the last time I was with you was the day before your Tulsa rally in the Oval, and you were saying big, huge crowd, it was endorsed. These people, they listen to you.

President Donald J. Trump: (05:30)
    By the way, [crosstalk 00:05:30] Excuse me, Jonathan, we had a 19,000 seat stadium and first of all, we had 12,000 people, not 6,000, which you reported and other people reported. But you couldnít even get in. It was like an armed camp.
    Jonathan Swan: (05:40)
    Why would you want it that?

President Donald J. Trump: (05:41)
    Because they had 120 Black Lives Matter people there and Tulsa-
    Jonathan Swan: (05:44)
    I understand but why would you have wanted a huge crowd?

President Donald J. Trump: (05:45)
    Excuse me, wait. And Tulsa, well, because that area was a very good area at the time. It was an area that was pretty much over. [crosstalk 00:05:55] After, after, a month later, it started going up. Thatís a month later, but Tulsa was a very good, Oklahoma was doing very well as a state. It was almost free. It spiked a month later, a month and a half, two months later. But it was a good area.
    President Donald J. Trump: (06:09)
    We had a tremendous crowd, we had tremendous response. It was like an armed camp. You couldnít even get through. You couldnít get anybody in. But we had 12,000 people. It was incorrectly reported. The other thing we had that nobody wants to talk about, so Fox broadcast it. It was the highest rating in the history of Fox television Saturday night. It was the highest rating.
    Jonathan Swan: (06:33)
    Mr. President-

President Donald J. Trump: (06:34)
    Well, wait a minute. Youíre saying something. That speech was the highest rated speech in the history of Fox television on Saturday night. And nobody says that.
    Jonathan Swan: (06:44)
    I think you misunderstand me. Iím not criticizing your ability to draw a crowd. Are you kidding me? Iíve covered you for five years. You draw massive crowds. You get huge ratings. Iím asking about the public health

President Donald J. Trump: (06:52)
    Iím just saying this. Iím just saying this. At the timeÖ And I canceled another one. I had to cancel it and we were going to have a great crowd in New Hampshire, and I canceled it for the same reason.
    Jonathan Swan: (06:58)
    But hereís the question. Iíve covered you for a long time. Iíve gone to your rallies. Iíve talked to your people. They love you. They listen to you. They listen to every word you say, they hang on your every word. They donít listen to me or the media or Fauci. They think weíre fake news. They want to get their advice from you. And so, when they hear you say, everythingís under control, donít worry about wearing masks. I mean, these are people, many of them are older people, Mr. President.

President Donald J. Trump: (07:19)
    Well, whatís your definition of control?
    Jonathan Swan: (07:20)
    Itís giving them a false sense of security.

President Donald J. Trump: (07:21)
    Yeah. Under the circumstances right now, I think itís under control. Iíll tell you what-
    Jonathan Swan: (07:25)
    How? 1,000 Americans are dying a day.

President Donald J. Trump: (07:27)
    They are dying. Thatís true. And it is what it is. But that doesnít mean we arenít doing everything we can. Itís under control as much as you can control it. This is a horrible plague that beset us.
    Jonathan Swan: (07:39)
    You really think this is as much as we can control it? 1,000 deaths a day?

President Donald J. Trump: (07:43)
    Well, Iíll tell you, Iíd like to know if somebodyÖ First of all, we have done a great job. Weíve gotten the governors everything they needed, they didnít do their job. Many of them didnít and some of them did. Someday weíll sit down. Weíll talk about the successful ones, the good ones. Look at that smile. The good ones and the bad. We had good and bad. And we had a lot in the middle, but we had some incredible governors. I could tell you right now who the great ones are and who the not so great ones are, but the governors do it. We gave them massive amounts of material.
    Jonathan Swan: (08:11)
    Mr. President, you changed your message this week, in terms of you canceled the Jacksonville convention, you said, ďWear a mask.Ē Youíre saying that, ďItís going to get worse before it gets better.Ē Itís not something youíd like to say, I know. And you said that. The big question-

President Donald J. Trump: (08:23)
    By the way, not get worse like the original flow. You understand that.
    Jonathan Swan: (08:27)
    Well, I hope not. Itís a 1,000-

President Donald J. Trump: (08:29)
    But If you look, Arizonaís going down. Texas is going down, and Florida is going down.
    Jonathan Swan: (08:31)
    If I could just finish my question. The question is, even some of your own aides wonder whether you would stick to that message until Election Day, whether in a week or two, you wonít say, ďRight, weíve got to reopen again. We canít do this stuff anymore.Ē That youíll get bored of talking about the virus and go back to that sort of cheerleading.

President Donald J. Trump: (08:52)
    No, Iím not going to get bored. I never get bored of talking about this, itís too big a thing.
    Jonathan Swan: (08:54)
    So will you stick to that message?

President Donald J. Trump: (08:54)
    And again, it should have been stopped by China, and it wasnít.
    Jonathan Swan: (08:59)
    But now itís here and youíre the President.

President Donald J. Trump: (09:00)
    We have it here.
    Jonathan Swan: (09:01)
    [inaudible 00:09:04].
    President Donald J. Tr
    ump: (09:02)
    No, I think Iím very consistent. No, this is a very serious thing. We have 140,000 people at this moment.
    Jonathan Swan: (09:08)
    More than that
    President Donald J. Trump: (09:09)
    This is a very, very serious situation. And what you have to do, is handle it the best it can be handled. And again, Iím working with the governors. I got them tremendous amounts of equipment that they would have never gotten. Jonathan, they wouldnít have equipment now, if I didnít get.
    Jonathan Swan: (09:25)
    When can you commit, by what date, that every American will have access to the same day testing that you get here in the White House?

President Donald J. Trump: (09:34)
    Well, we have great testing. Weíre doing and many other people do-
    Jonathan Swan: (09:37)
    By what date?

President Donald J. Trump: (09:39)
    Let me explain the testing. We have tested more people than any other country, than all of Europe put together times two. We have tested more people than anybody ever thought of. India has 1.4 billion people. Theyíve done 11 million tests. Weíve done 55, itíll be close to 60 million tests. And there are those that say, you can test too much. You do-
    President Donald J. Trump: (10:03)
    And there are those that say you can test too much. You do know that.
    Jonathan Swan: (10:04)
    Who says that?

President Donald J. Trump: (10:05)
    Oh, just read the manuals, read the books.
    Jonathan Swan: (10:08)
    Manuals?

President Donald J. Trump: (10:08)
    Read the books. Read the books.
    Jonathan Swan: (10:10)
    What books?

President Donald J. Trump: (10:11)
    What testing does-
    Jonathan Swan: (10:13)
    Wait a minute. Iím sorry.

President Donald J. Trump: (10:14)
    Let me explain. What testing does, it shows cases. It shows where there may be cases. Other countries testÖ you know when they test? They test when somebody is sick. Thatís when they test. And Iím not saying theyíre right or wrong. Nobody has done it like weíve done it. Weíve gotten absolutely no credit for it. But weíve come up with so many different tests. The only thing that we have now is some people have to wait longer than weíd like them to. We want it-
    Jonathan Swan: (10:38)
    Thatís a big problem.

President Donald J. Trump: (10:39)
    We want point to point. We want to have a five minute to a 15 minute test.
    Jonathan Swan: (10:44)
    Right. When do you think-

President Donald J. Trump: (10:44)
    And we haveÖ and like many others-
    Jonathan Swan: (10:46)
    Every American-

President Donald J. Trump: (10:47)
    And, from what I understand, weíre close to 50% where itís point to point tests. We are making thousands of instruments, thousands of tests right now, tens of thousands that can be distributed to various parts of the country. But you have to understand. And weíve even sent some of them to other countries where they had a big problem. Jonathan, almost 50%, in fact, I think the number might be over, is immediate testing. The other is tough. You take a test. You have to send it to a laboratory. Letís say that takes a day. Letís say itís a day.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:19)
    Right. Itís difficult.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:20)
    So, itís three, or four, or five days.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:21)
    I understand.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:21)
    There is nothing you can do about that.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:22)
    But when do you think you will have it for everyone? What day?

President Donald J. Trump: (11:25)
    I think that you will have that relatively soon. I mean-
    Jonathan Swan: (11:27)
    What does that mean?

President Donald J. Trump: (11:28)
    You already have half.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:29)
    Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:31)
    I would much rather get back to you.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:32)
    Okay. Thatís fine.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:32)
    Because I donít want to have you write in one month, I didnít make it.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:35)
    Thatís fine.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:35)
    I missed it by a day.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:36)
    Yeah. I get it.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:37)
    And itís a headline.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:37)
    Mr. President, I want to talk about the federal intervention.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:40)
    Excuse me. One thing I would say about testing.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:42)
    Yeah. Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:43)
    Because we test so much, we show cases. So, we show many, many cases. We show tremendous number of cases. I know youíre smiling when I say that, but Iím telling you.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:52)
    Well, I mean, Iíve heard you say this.

President Donald J. Trump: (11:54)
    I know. Other countries donít test like we do. So, they donít show case.
    Jonathan Swan: (11:58)
    Just a couple points on that. I wasnít going to continue on the testing, but you said it. So, weíre testing so much because itís spread so far in America. And, when you-

President Donald J. Trump: (12:06)
    Weíre testing so much because we had the ability to test.
    Jonathan Swan: (12:08)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:09)
    Because we came up with test-
    Jonathan Swan: (12:10)
    But South Korea-

President Donald J. Trump: (12:11)
    Jonathan, we didnít even have a test. When I took over, we didnít even have a test. Now, in all fairness-
    Jonathan Swan: (12:17)
    Why would you have a test?

President Donald J. Trump: (12:21)
    There was no test for this-
    Jonathan Swan: (12:23)
    The virus didnít exist
    President Donald J. Trump: (12:23)
    Excuse me. I was going to say-
    Jonathan Swan: (12:23)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:23)
    There was no test for this. We didnít have a test because there was no test.
    Jonathan Swan: (12:26)
    Of course.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:27)
    And, in a very short order, we got one test. We got another test.
    Jonathan Swan: (12:30)
    It was broken, the first one.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:31)
    We got another. Many of those tests are now obsolete because itís called science.
    Jonathan Swan: (12:34)
    Right.

President Donald J. Trump: (12:34)
    And, all of a sudden, something is better. But, because we tested so many people, 55, 60 million people, very soon, we get cases. You test. Some kid has even just a little runny nose. Itís a case. And then, you report many cases. So, we look like we have more cases than massive countries like China, which by the way, doesnít report, as you know.
    Jonathan Swan: (12:58)
    Well, I donít put any stock in Chinaís figures.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:00)
    No. No. The point is-
    Jonathan Swan: (13:01)
    Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:01)
    The point is, because we are so much better at testing than any other country in the world, we show more cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:09)
    The figure I look at is death. And death is going up now.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:12)
    Okay. No, no.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:12)
    Itís a thousand a day.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:14)
    If you look at death-
    Jonathan Swan: (13:15)
    Yeah. Itís going up again.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:16)
    Letís look. Letís look.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:17)
    Daily death.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:17)
    Take a look at some of these charts.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:19)
    Iíd love to.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:20)
    Weíre going to look.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:21)
    Letís look
    President Donald J. Trump: (13:21)
    And, if you look at death per-
    Jonathan Swan: (13:23)
    Yeah. Itís started to go up again.

President Donald J. Trump: (13:25)
    Here is one. Well, right here, United States is lowest in numerous categories. Weíre lower than the world.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:37)
    Lower than the world?

President Donald J. Trump: (13:37)
    Weíre lower than Europe.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:39)
    What does that mean? In what? In what?

President Donald J. Trump: (13:40)
    Look. Take a look. Right there. Here is case death.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:46)
    Oh, youíre doing death as a proportion of cases. Iím talking about death as a proportion of population. Thatís where the U.S. is really bad, much worse than South Korea, Germany, et cetera
    President Donald J. Trump: (13:55)
    You canít do that.
    Jonathan Swan: (13:56)
    Why canít I do that?

President Donald J. Trump: (13:58)
    You have to go by whereÖ look. Here is the United States. You have to go by the cases. The cases are there.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:04)
    Why not as a proportion of population?

President Donald J. Trump: (14:07)
    What it says is, when you have somebody where thereís a case-
    Jonathan Swan: (14:11)
    Oh, okay
    President Donald J. Trump: (14:11)
    The people that live from those cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:14)
    Oh. Itís surely a relevant statistic to say, if the U.S. has X population and X percentage of death of that population versus South Korea-

President Donald J. Trump: (14:22)
    No. Because you have to go by the cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:22)
    Well, look at South Korea, for example. 51 million population, 300 deaths. Itís like, itís crazy compared to-

President Donald J. Trump: (14:28)
    You donít know that.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:29)
    I do.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:30)
    You donít know that.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:31)
    You think theyíre faking their statistics, South Korea? An advanced country?

President Donald J. Trump: (14:33)
    I wonít get into that because I have a very good relationship with the country.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:36)
    Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:37)
    But you donít know that. And they have spikes. Look, hereís one of-
    Jonathan Swan: (14:39)
    Germany, low 9,000.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:40)
    Hereís one. Hereís one right here, United States.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:43)
    Let me look.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:44)
    You take the number of cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:45)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:45)
    Now look, weíre last meaning weíre first.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:47)
    Last? I donít know what weíre first in.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:48)
    We have the best.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:49)
    As a what?

President Donald J. Trump: (14:50)
    Take a look again. Itís cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:51)
    Okay. Iíll justÖ okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:52)
    And we have cases because of the testing.
    Jonathan Swan: (14:54)
    I mean, a thousand Americans die a day. But I understand. I understand on the cases, itís different.

President Donald J. Trump: (14:59)
    No, but youíre not reporting it correctly, Jonathan.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:02)
    I think I am, but-

President Donald J. Trump: (15:03)
    If you take a look at this other chartÖ look, this is our testing. I believe this is the testing. Yeah.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:09)
    Yeah. We do more tests.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:10)
    No, wait a minute. Well, donít we get credit for that? And, because we do more tests, we have more cases. In other words, we test more. We haveÖ now, take a look. The top one, thatís a good thing not a bad thing. But the topÖ Jonathan-
    Jonathan Swan: (15:22)
    If hospitals rates were going down and deaths were going down, Iíd say, terrific. You deserve to be praised for testing.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:28)
    Well, they donít even-
    Jonathan Swan: (15:28)
    But they are all going up.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:29)
    Well, they very rarely talk-
    Jonathan Swan: (15:30)
    Plus, 60,000 Americans are in hospital, 1,000 dying a day.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:32)
    If you watch the news or read the papers, they usually talk about new cases, new cases, new cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:37)
    Iím talking about death.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:38)
    Well, you look at death.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:39)
    Itís going up.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:39)
    Death is way down from where it was.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:42)
    Itís 1,000 a day.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:43)
    Death-
    Jonathan Swan: (15:43)
    It was two and a half thousand. It went down to 500. Now, itís going up again.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:46)
    DeathÖ excuse me. Where it was is much higher than where it is right now.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:50)
    It went down and then it went up again.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:52)
    It spiked, but now itís going down again.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:53)
    Itís going up.

President Donald J. Trump: (15:53)
    Itís gone down in Arizona. Itís going down in Florida.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:55)
    nationally itís going up
    President Donald J. Trump: (15:56)
    Itís going down in Texas. Take a look at this. These are the tests.
    Jonathan Swan: (15:59)
    Itís going down in Florida?

President Donald J. Trump: (16:01)
    Yeah. It leveled out and itís going down. Thatís my report, as of yesterday.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:05)
    Anyway, Mr. President, if I could change subjects.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:06)
    It is going down in Arizona. It is gong down in Texas.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:09)
    Arizona it is. Arizona it is. Texas has big problems.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:10)
    And it is spiked. It spiked and is now going down in Florida. Itís evened out and going down in Florida.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:15)
    Iíll have to see those figures.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:16)
    But you have to look at this. This is the number of tests compared to the rest of the world.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:19)
    I donít deny your figures. Youíve done more tests by far than the rest of the world. I donít deny that.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:22)
    Right. And, because weíve done more tests, we have more cases.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:24)
    You have more infections.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:25)
    Now, you can take them back. Check it out in your office.

Jonathan Swan: (16:28)
    Mr. President, different subject, itís been widely reported that the U.S. has intelligence indicating that Russia paid bounties or offered to pay bounties to Taliban fighters to kill American soldiers.

President Donald J. Trump: (16:37)
    Right. Right.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:37)
    You had a phone call with Vladimir Putin on July 23rd. Did you bring up this issue?

President Donald J. Trump: (16:42)
    No. That was a phone call to discuss other things. And frankly, thatís an issue that many people said was fake news.
    Jonathan Swan: (16:50)
    Who said it was fake news?

President Donald J. Trump: (16:51)
    I think a lot of people. If you look at some of the wonderful folks from the Bush Administration, some of them, not any friends of mine, were saying that itís a fake issue. But a lot of people said, itís a fake issue.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:04)
    There was dispute within intelligence.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:05)
    But we had a call. We had a call talking about nuclear proliferation.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:08)
    Right.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:08)
    Which is a very big subject where they would like to do something. And so would I. We discussed numbers things. We did not discuss that. No.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:14)
    And youíve never discussed it with him.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:15)
    I have never discussed it with him. No. I would. Iíd have no problem with it.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:19)
    But you donít believe the intelligence.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:19)
    But you know it never got to-
    Jonathan Swan: (17:20)
    Itís because you donít believe the intelligence. Thatís why.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:24)
    Itís interesting. Nobody ever brings up China. They always bring Russia, Russia, Russia. If we can do something with Russia in terms of nuclear proliferation, which is a very big problem.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:34)
    Right.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:34)
    Bigger problem than global warming.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:36)
    Right.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:36)
    A much bigger problem than global warming in terms of the real world, that would be a great thing. No. It never reached my desk.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:43)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (17:43)
    You know why? Because intelligence, they didnít think it was real.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:48)
    It was in your written brief though about it
    President Donald J. Trump: (17:50)
    They didnít think it was worthy. I wouldnít mind. If it reached my desk, I would have done something about it. It never reached my desk because-
    Jonathan Swan: (17:57)
    Do you read your written brief?

President Donald J. Trump: (17:58)
    I do.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:58)
    Do you?

President Donald J. Trump: (17:58)
    I read it a lot.
    Jonathan Swan: (17:59)
    Really?

President Donald J. Trump: (17:59)
    I read a lot. They like to say I donít read. I read a lot.
    Jonathan Swan: (18:03)
    You read your daily intelligence brief?

President Donald J. Trump: (18:04)
    I comprehend extraordinarily well, probably better than anybody that youíve interviewed in a long time. I read a lot. I spend a lot of time at meetings. Usually itís once a day or at least two or three times a week, intelligence meetings.
    Jonathan Swan: (18:18)
    Because this was apparently in your-

President Donald J. Trump: (18:19)
    Talking about India, talking about the problems with China.
    Jonathan Swan: (18:22)
    Right.

President Donald J. Trump: (18:22)
    Talking about so many different elements of the world.
    Jonathan Swan: (18:25)
    Mm-hmm (affirmative).

President Donald J. Trump: (18:25)
    The world is a very angry place, if you look all over the world. We call up. I see a 22 soldiers were killed in India with China fighting over the border. Itís been raging for many, many decades. And theyíve been fighting and back and forth. I have so many briefings on so many different countries, but this one didnít reach my desk.
    Jonathan Swan: (18:50)
    The reason I say this is, even if you donít believe this particular piece of intelligence, and there is dispute, no doubt, there is dispute in the intelligence committee about it, John Nicholson, former head of forces in Afghanistan said, and this is when he was working for you, that Russia is supplying weapons to the Taliban. Isnít that enough to challenge Putin over the killings of U.S. soldiers?

President Donald J. Trump: (19:10)
    Well, we sold them weapons when they were fighting Russia too. When they were fighting with the Taliban in Afghanistan-
    Jonathan Swan: (19:17)
    Yeah. But thatís a different era.

President Donald J. Trump: (19:18)
    Well, itís a differentÖ Iím just saying. Yes.
    Jonathan Swan: (19:20)
    But how does that affect-

President Donald J. Trump: (19:21)
    Iím just saying we did that too.
    Jonathan Swan: (19:22)
    But how does that-

President Donald J. Trump: (19:23)
    I donít know. I didnít ask Nicholson about that. He was there for a long time. Didnít have great success because he was there before me. And then, ultimately, I made a change.
    Jonathan Swan: (19:30)
    But you surely heard that. Right? I mean, itís well known in the intelligence community, that theyíre arming the Taliban, Russia.

President Donald J. Trump: (19:36)
    I donít know. When you say arming is-
    Jonathan Swan: (19:38)
    Supplying weapons.

President Donald J. Trump: (19:39)
    Paying or they-
    Jonathan Swan: (19:40)
    Russia is supplying weapons and money to the Taliban.

President Donald J. Trump: (19:42)
    I have heard that but, again, itís never reached my desk.
    Jonathan Swan: (19:48)
    I mean, he said it on the record when he was in-

President Donald J. Trump: (19:50)
    Hey, Russia doesnít want anything to do with Afghanistan. Let me just say about Russia. Russia used to be a thing called the Soviet Union. Because of Afghanistan, they went bankrupt. They became Russia, just so you do understand. Okay? The last-
    President Donald J. Trump: (20:03)
    Went bankrupt, they became Russia, just so you do understand, okay? The last thing that Russia wants to do is get too much involved with Afghanistan. They tried that once. It didnít work out too well.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:09)
    Last question on this subject.

President Donald J. Trump: (20:10)
    And by the way, weíre largely out of Afghanistan, as you probably know.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:13)
    Well, I wanted to ask you about that. The US troop level in Afghanistan right now is roughly the same as it was when you-

President Donald J. Trump: (20:21)
    No, youíre wrong. No.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:22)
    Mr. President. Iím sorry. We have to do-

President Donald J. Trump: (20:24)
    Okay. Are you ready?
    Jonathan Swan: (20:25)
    No, no. I need-

President Donald J. Trump: (20:25)
    Weíll be down in a very shortÖ Itís already planned.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:27)
    Well, thatís a different question.

President Donald J. Trump: (20:28)
    Let me explain. Weíll be down in a very short period of time to 8,000, then weíre going to be down to 4,000. Weíre negotiating right now. Weíve been there for 19 years.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:38)
    I know. I know
    President Donald J. Trump: (20:38)
    19 years.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:39)
    But if you just let me finish my question.

President Donald J. Trump: (20:40)
    Weíll be getting out.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:41)
    I understand. Look, when you came in, it was 8,800. You boosted to 14,000, and now youíre back down to 8,500.

President Donald J. Trump: (20:49)
    Weíre now-
    Jonathan Swan: (20:49)
    My question to you-

President Donald J. Trump: (20:51)
    Weíll be at 4,000. Iíll get you the exact-
    Jonathan Swan: (20:52)
    When?

President Donald J. Trump: (20:53)
    Very soon. Very soon.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:54)
    What will be the number? Very soon? 4,000?

President Donald J. Trump: (20:56)
    Very soon. Yeah, very soon.
    Jonathan Swan: (20:57)
    Like how soon?

President Donald J. Trump: (20:58)
    I donít want to tell you that. I donít want to tell you.
    Jonathan Swan: (21:00)
    Thatís big news.

President Donald J. Trump: (21:01)
    What is? That is [crosstalk 00:21:02]
    Jonathan Swan: (21:02)
    Itís going down to 4,000.

President Donald J. Trump: (21:03)
    Iíve always said-
    Jonathan Swan: (21:04)
    Well, what about election day?

President Donald J. Trump: (21:06)
    We will get largely out-
    Jonathan Swan: (21:07)
    On election day, how many American troops will be in Afghanistan?

President Donald J. Trump: (21:12)
    Probably anywhere from four to 5,000.
    Jonathan Swan: (21:16)
    Thatís almost as many as when you came into office.

President Donald J. Trump: (21:17)
    No, itís not. We had-
    Jonathan Swan: (21:18)

President Donald J. Trump: (21:19)
    We had much more. We had a lot of people over there too.
    Jonathan Swan: (21:21)
    8,800 [crosstalk 00:21:22] troops.

President Donald J. Trump: (21:22)
    A lot of people. And we did a good job. We wiped out ISIS. Let me just tell you what you donít see.
    Jonathan Swan: (21:25)
    Have you thought about going down to zero?

President Donald J. Trump: (21:26)
    We took out, in Syria, we took out ISIS. We a hundred percent of the caliphate. When I took over Obama, it was totally rampant. ISIS was all over the place. We took them out. We captured them. We killed them a hundred percent, not 99%. I wanted to get out at 99. Everyone said, ďOh, please, would you stay?Ē I stayed. 99% was good, but a hundred percent of the caliphate.
    President Donald J. Trump: (21:52)
    We took out Soleimani. We took out al-Baghdadi. We took out people that nobody thought possible. Al-Baghdadi was the biggest terrorist of them all. They couldnít find him. I took him out. Soleimani, even bigger. I took him out. Iíve done things that no other presidentís done. None. I mean, fortunately, not too many. They should have never been in the Middle East. The decision to go to the Middle East and get into the Middle East was the single biggest mistake made in the history of our country. Thatís my opinion.

Jonathan Swan: (22:22)
    You told Fox News recently that you couldnít say whether youíd accept the results of the 2020 election. What does that actually look like as the sitting president? I mean, itís unprecedented. What would that actually look like?

President Donald J. Trump: (22:36)
    Well, Hillary Clinton never accepted them.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:37)
    Well, she conceded on them.

President Donald J. Trump: (22:39)
    I mean, she doesnít accept them and she got beaten very easily.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:41)
    But thatís the important point. Thatís the important point. She conceded on election night. Now, she grumbled about it and said all sorts of-

President Donald J. Trump: (22:45)
    Grumbled? Grumbled? She wrote books about it.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:46)
    Okay, fine, she wrote books.

President Donald J. Trump: (22:47)
    And donít use the word grumbled.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:48)
    Fine. But-

President Donald J. Trump: (22:48)
    She wrote books about it.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:50)
    Thatís fine, but I just-

President Donald J. Trump: (22:50)
    She got beaten easy.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:51)
    I get it. I get it.

President Donald J. Trump: (22:52)
    306 to 223. Thatís a lot. Thatís a lot.
    Jonathan Swan: (22:54)
    Iím not disputing you beat Hillary Clinton. Listen, what of asking is youíll be the sitting president in the White House. What does that look like not accepting-

President Donald J. Trump: (23:03)
    Iíll tell you what it looks like.
    Jonathan Swan: (23:04)
    Are you litigating?

President Donald J. Trump: (23:05)
    Let me tell you what it looks.
    Jonathan Swan: (23:05)
    Okay.

President Donald J. Trump: (23:07)
    So we have a new phenomena. Itís called mail-in voting, where you send, where a governor-
    Jonathan Swan: (23:13)
    New?

President Donald J. Trump: (23:13)
    Well, itís new-
    Jonathan Swan: (23:14)
    Itís been here since the Civil War. Americans have-

President Donald J. Trump: (23:15)
    In terms of kind of the kind of millions and millions of ballots. Theyíve never done anything like that.
    Jonathan Swan: (23:21)
    Itíll be bigger this year because of the pandemic.

President Donald J. Trump: (23:23)
    Bigger? Not bigger, massively bigger.
    Jonathan Swan: (23:25)
    Yeah, because of the pandemic.

President Donald J. Trump: (23:26)
    So theyíre going to send tens of millions of ballots to California, all over the place, to whoís going to get them. I have a friend who lives in Westchester County-
    Jonathan Swan: (23:33)
    They send applications, not allots.

President Donald J. Trump: (23:35)
    His son passed away. He had a beautiful, wonderful son. Young man. Passed away seven years ago. He called me, he said, ďI just got a ballot for my son, Robert.Ē
    Jonathan Swan: (23:46)
    Probably an application.

President Donald J. Trump: (23:46)
    ďHe died seven years ago.Ē Somebody got at ballot for a dog. Somebody got a ballot for something else. You got millions of ballots going, nobody even knows where theyíre going. You look at some of the corruption having to do with universal mail-in votingÖ Absentee voting is okay. You have to apply, you have to go through a process.
    Jonathan Swan: (24:03)
    You have to apply for mail-in. Itís the same thing.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:05)
    Absentee voting is good. Look, youíre sending it out-
    Jonathan Swan: (24:07)
    Letís do concrete. Letís do concrete.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:08)
    Jonathan, theyíre sending out-
    Jonathan Swan: (24:10)
    Applications. You download them off [crosstalk 00:24:12]

President Donald J. Trump: (24:12)
    Governors, millions of ballots. There is-
    Jonathan Swan: (24:14)
    No, theyíre not. Itís applications. You can get them off the internet.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:16)
    There is no way you can go through a mail-in vote without massive cheating.
    Jonathan Swan: (24:22)
    I honestly donít understand this topic with-

President Donald J. Trump: (24:24)
    Go ahead.
    Jonathan Swan: (24:25)
    The Republican party has an extremely well-funded vote by mail program. Your campaign puts out emails telling people to vote by mail.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:33)
    Correct.
    Jonathan Swan: (24:34)
    Your daughter-in-law, Lara Trump, she did robocalls in California saying itís safe and secure, mail-in voting.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:40)
    Let me tell you. We have no choice.
    Jonathan Swan: (24:41)
    The Republic won. That was an all mail-in race.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:43)
    Let me tell you. You ready?
    Jonathan Swan: (24:45)
    Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (24:45)
    We have no choice because right now, we have, but we have many court cases that weíre waiting. We have one filed in Western Pennsylvania. We have many court cases where weíre trying to end it. We went through World War I, you went to the polls, you voted, we went through World War II, you went to the polls, you voted.
    Jonathan Swan: (25:01)
    Youíve had mail-in voting since the Civil War.

President Donald J. Trump: (25:02)
    And now because of the China virus, weíre supposed to stay home, send millions of ballots all over the country, millions and millions. You know, you could have a case where this election wonít be decided on the evening of November 3rd.
    Jonathan Swan: (25:16)
    Absolutely. Whatís wrong with that?

President Donald J. Trump: (25:16)
    This election could be decided two months later,
    Jonathan Swan: (25:18)
    It wonít be two months, but whatís wrong with the proper mail-in count?

President Donald J. Trump: (25:20)
    It could be decided many months later.
    Jonathan Swan: (25:22)
    Have you discussed the-

President Donald J. Trump: (25:23)
    You know why? Because lots of things will happen during that period of time. Especially when you have tight margins, lots of things can happen. Thereís never been anything like this when you tryÖ Now, of course, right now, we have to live with it, but weíre challenging it in many courts, as you know, all over the country.

Jonathan Swan: (25:40)
    Youíre going to [crosstalk 00:25:38]? Mr. President, the other day, a reporter asked you about Ghislaine Maxwell. You said, ďI just wish her well, frankly. Iíve met her numerous times over the years, especially since I lived in Palm Beach, but I wish her well, whatever it is.Ē Mr. President, Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested on allegations of child sex trafficking. Why would you wish such a person well?

President Donald J. Trump: (25:59)
    Well, first of all, I donít know that, but I do know this-
    Jonathan Swan: (26:01)
    She has. Sheís been arrested for that. You know that.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:02)
    Her friend or boyfriend-
    Jonathan Swan: (26:04)
    Epstein.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:05)
    Was either killed or committed suicide in jail. Sheís now in jail. Yeah, I wish you well, Iíd wish you well, Iíd wish a lot of people well. Good luck. Let them prove somebody was guilty. I mean, you do know that she [crosstalk 00:26:17]
    Jonathan Swan: (26:17)
    Oh. So youíre saying you hope she doesnít die in jail? Is that what you mean by wish her well?

President Donald J. Trump: (26:20)
    Well, her boyfriend died in jail and people are still trying to figure out how did it happened? Was it suicide? Was he killed? And I do wish her well. Iím not looking for anything bad for her. Iím not looking bad for anybody. And they took that and made it such a big deal-
    Jonathan Swan: (26:32)
    I mean, sheís a alleged child sex trafficker.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:35)
    But all it is is her boyfriend died. He died in jail. Was he killed? Was it suicide? I do, I wish her well.

Jonathan Swan: (26:45)
    Letís move to Portland. Iím sure youíve seen the disturbing footage of people in fatigues beating the Navy veteran.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:53)
    No, no, no, no, no, no. No. No.
    Jonathan Swan: (26:54)
    Well, itís there.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:55)
    here you go, the fake news.
    Jonathan Swan: (26:56)
    Itís not fake news, itís on video.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:58)
    No, no.
    Jonathan Swan: (26:58)
    Pepper spraying him.

President Donald J. Trump: (26:59)
    For 59 days, these people were anarchists and agitators, and some protesters, but these were anarchists. These people were beating the hell out of the city. They were beating up our federal buildings and our federal courthouse. We told the police to stop it. You make sure. And the police wouldnít do it. Not the police-
    Jonathan Swan: (27:17)
    Your own justice department and Homeland Security Inspector General-

President Donald J. Trump: (27:19)
    Excuse me.
    Jonathan Swan: (27:19)
    But your Inspector Generals are investigating unconstitutional-

President Donald J. Trump: (27:23)
    Youíre trying now to blame law enforcement instead of anarchists-
    Jonathan Swan: (27:27)
    Iím not.

President Donald J. Trump: (27:27)
    Instead of Antifa.
    Jonathan Swan: (27:29)
    Iím not
    President Donald J. Trump: (27:29)
    Itís Antifa and anarchists that are causing the problems, not law enforcement. Our law enforcement, if we didnít have people at our courthouse, and theyíre strong, tough people, and they donít wantÖ They try and be very good, believe me. But if we didnít have people there, you would have your federal courthouse, a $600 million building, you would have that thing burned to the ground right now.
    Jonathan Swan: (27:51)
    Iím asking you about tactics and about the unmarked vans where theyíre rounding people up. And I want to-

President Donald J. Trump: (27:55)
    Okay, let me tell you about unmarked.
    Jonathan Swan: (27:56)
    Can I just finish my question.

President Donald J. Trump: (27:57)
    Well let me tell you about unmarked.
    Jonathan Swan: (27:58)
    Could I just finish my question? Because it relates to this. I promise. This is from Rand Paul. ďWe cannot give up liberty for security. Local law enforcement can and should be handling these situations in our cities, but there is no place for federal troops or unidentified federal agents rounding people up at will.Ē What is your response to Senator Paul?

President Donald J. Trump: (28:16)
    First of all, these are Homeland Security people. Theyíre securing a courthouse.
    Jonathan Swan: (28:21)
    Theyíre border patrol.

President Donald J. Trump: (28:22)
    Theyíre Homeland Security.
    Jonathan Swan: (28:24)
    Elite units.

President Donald J. Trump: (28:24)
    Border, hopefully they have ICE in there.
    Jonathan Swan: (28:26)
    Camo< gas [inaudible 00:28:26].

President Donald J. Trump: (28:26)
    Hopefully they have ICE. Now, do you know why theyíre unmarked?
    Jonathan Swan: (28:29)
    Why?

President Donald J. Trump: (28:30)
    Because these terrorists, these Antifa people, these people that are at anarchists and agitators, when they see the name on a uniform of a person, a policeman or a law enforcement person, they find out where that person lives. And then they go and they scare the hell out of the personís family. And so they do it for that reason. Itís just commonÖ Thereís nothing secret about this. And you know it.
    President Donald J. Trump: (28:54)
    You see whatís going on right now. We have Chad Wolf. They have people. Heís doing a fantastic job. Heís the acting head. Heís doing a fantastic job. Chad Wolf has pickets and very dangerous looking people outside of his house. Heís going to be just fine. Heís tough and heís got people, but if you have the names on all of these uniforms, youíll have these maniacs in front of their houses, scaring their family and their wives or husbands, whatever it may be. I think itís a very good reason not to have your name. Why should you have identification? ďMy name is Bill Smith and hereís where I live and Iím a member of-Ē
    Jonathan Swan: (29:33)
    The really serious concern is the reports-

President Donald J. Trump: (29:34)
    No, no, thatís a serious concern.
    Jonathan Swan: (29:36)
    No, no, not about that. The serious concern is the reports of people being rounded up and not being told why theyíre being detained. Thatís whatís being investigated by-

President Donald J. Trump: (29:42)
    Why? Why are they being detained?
    Jonathan Swan: (29:43)
    Mr. President, the Inspectors Generals-

President Donald J. Trump: (29:45)
    You know why? You know why theyíre being detained? Well, [crosstalk 00:29:47].
    Jonathan Swan: (29:48)
    Thereís an investigation. Do you support that investigation?

President Donald J. Trump: (29:50)
    Well, I havenít seen the result yet. Let me see the result.
    Jonathan Swan: (29:51)
    But you support the initiative of it?

President Donald J. Trump: (29:54)
    No, I think that actually-
    Jonathan Swan: (29:56)
    You donít?

President Donald J. Trump: (29:56)
    I think Antifa should be investigated, not the law enforcement. Theyíre investigating, think of [crosstalk 00:30:01]
    Jonathan Swan: (30:01)
    They shouldnít be investigating?

President Donald J. Trump: (30:02)
    Have you been watching television-
    President Donald J. Trump: (30:03)
    Theyíre investigating-
    Jonathan Swan: (30:03)
    They shouldnít be investigating?

President Donald J. Trump: (30:03)
    Have you been watching television?
    Jonathan Swan: (30:04)
    I have.

President Donald J. Trump: (30:04)
    Have you been seeing the violence?
    Jonathan Swan: (30:06)
    Sure
    President Donald J. Trump: (30:06)
    Now, if you watch NBC News like I watch NBC fake news. Iím watching it. Lester Holt, real beauty. Iím watching this NBC News sham, and you have a mayor named Wheeler and heís standing out there and heís being accosted by the people. You know that. I mean, itís horrible what theyíre doing to him in Portland, the mayor of Portland and he thought heíd go out. Heíd be a man.
    President Donald J. Trump: (30:29)
    What they were doing and saying, and everything else to him, I happened to watch it on a different station. He had to get out. He had five security guards.
    Jonathan Swan: (30:36)
    I saw it.

President Donald J. Trump: (30:36)
    He got out with his life. Okay.
    Jonathan Swan: (30:38)
    Mr. President-

President Donald J. Trump: (30:38)
    Wait. If you watch NBC News, they make them like heís standing there bravely fighting with the people, in a positive sense, that everything is wonderful.
    President Donald J. Trump: (30:48)
    No. He went out there. Heís lucky he got away with his life because they wouldíve killed him. He had five guards, but NBC News showed it like heís standing with the people for justice. Look, those people, take a look at what theyíve done to the courthouse. Take a look at what theyíve done to the streets. Take a look at the violence.
    Jonathan Swan: (31:06)
    Itís getting worse since theyíve gone in. Itís getting worse.

President Donald J. Trump: (31:09)
    Actually, itís getting better. We had a very goodÖ Weíve arrested a lot of people and we now have a 10 year rule. You try not to knock down our courthouse-
    Jonathan Swan: (31:15)
    More businesses damaged, more violence-

President Donald J. Trump: (31:17)
    You touch our courthouse, you go to jail for 10 years.

Jonathan Swan: (31:19)
    Turning to the rest of the country, we havenít seen protests like this since the í60s. I mean, weíre seeing-

President Donald J. Trump: (31:25)
    These are Democrat-run cities.
    Jonathan Swan: (31:26)
    If I could finish my question. If I could finish my question.

President Donald J. Trump: (31:28)
    And theyíre doing it for political reasons.
    Jonathan Swan: (31:30)
    You said youíve done so much for African Americans.

President Donald J. Trump: (31:32)
    I have.
    Jonathan Swan: (31:33)
    But there are Americans-

President Donald J. Trump: (31:35)
    Criminal justice reform, opportunity.
    Jonathan Swan: (31:36)
    Yeah, I understand, but let me finish. There were Americans out in the streets asking for change. Mr. President, have you ever met with a Black Lives Matter activist to hear them out, hear their arguments?

President Donald J. Trump: (31:46)
    Well, Black Lives Matter started off to me very badly because it was-
    Jonathan Swan: (31:50)
    Did you ever meet with one?

President Donald J. Trump: (31:52)
    Ö pigs in a blanket, burn them like bacon. That was the first time I ever of BlackÖ That was three, four years ago. Pigs meaning policemen. Pigs is what theyíre referring to, in a blanket, fry them like bacon. So I got off to a bad start. I got off to a very bad start.
    Jonathan Swan: (32:11)
    Would you meet with a-

President Donald J. Trump: (32:11)
    And so did [crosstalk 00:32:12].
    Jonathan Swan: (32:12)
    Would you with a Black Lives Matter activist?

President Donald J. Trump: (32:13)
    I would. But I think right now when they paint-
    Jonathan Swan: (32:17)
    Why havenít you?

President Donald J. Trump: (32:17)
    Ö the sign. Nobodyís asked for a meeting, right? Iíve never been, nobodyís ever asked me for a meeting. Let me tell you with African Americans, Iím doing very well. They had the best employment numbers theyíve ever had. They had the best job numbers theyíve ever had. They were making more money than they ever made. We were all set until we got hit by China with the virus. Jonathan, there was actually, we were becoming a very unified country.
    Jonathan Swan: (32:39)
    Do you believe that-

President Donald J. Trump: (32:40)
    Because of success.
    Jonathan Swan: (32:41)
    I understand. Do you believe though, Mr. President, that many police treat black people differently from white people?

President Donald J. Trump: (32:48)
    Well, I hope not. I hope not. Certainly theÖ
    Jonathan Swan: (32:51)
    Youíve seen the statistics.

President Donald J. Trump: (32:53)
    The knee on the neck was a disgrace. Okay?
    Jonathan Swan: (32:55)
    Yeah.

President Donald J. Trump: (32:55)
    It was a disgrace.
    Jonathan Swan: (32:56)
    Iím talking about what does systemic racism mean to you?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:00)
    I hope the answer to that question is no. Does anybody really answer that question accurately? Does anybody really know?
    Jonathan Swan: (33:08)
    But what about not hope? What about analysis? Whatís your cold-hearted view of it?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:10)
    I have seen where there is a difference and I donít want there to be a difference. I donít like that there would be a difference. But with that being said-
    Jonathan Swan: (33:18)
    Why do you think Black men are two and a half times-

President Donald J. Trump: (33:19)
    Police have killed white people-
    Jonathan Swan: (33:21)
    I know, but why do you think Black men-

President Donald J. Trump: (33:22)
    Ö in larger number, police have killed white people.
    Jonathan Swan: (33:25)
    In quantity, but why do you think Black men are two and a half times more likely to be killed by police than white men?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:29)
    That I donít know-
    Jonathan Swan: (33:30)
    Why?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:30)
    Ö but I donít like it.
    Jonathan Swan: (33:32)
    But you mustíve thought about it.

President Donald J. Trump: (33:33)
    I donít know why, but I donít like it. I do know this-
    Jonathan Swan: (33:36)
    Does it speak to something systemic?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:37)
    Ö that police have killed many white people also.
    Jonathan Swan: (33:39)
    But proportionally, what does it speak to?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:42)
    It speaks to something, if thatís the number?
    Jonathan Swan: (33:45)
    It is the number.

President Donald J. Trump: (33:45)
    Okay. If thatís the number, it speaks to something that to me is unacceptable.
    Jonathan Swan: (33:49)
    And what do you do about it then?

President Donald J. Trump: (33:51)
    Well, I think weíve already done a lot of things-
    Jonathan Swan: (33:52)
    But you havenít, it still exists.

President Donald J. Trump: (33:53)
    Let me just tell you.
    Jonathan Swan: (33:54)
    No, no, I understand your achievements. I know what youíre going to say. Iím not suggesting you havenít done a lot economically-

President Donald J. Trump: (33:58)
    Iíve done a thing called criminal justice reform.
    Jonathan Swan: (34:00)
    I get it, Iím just saying what changes-

President Donald J. Trump: (34:01)
    And your friend President Obama couldnít get done.
    Jonathan Swan: (34:02)
    Heís not my friend. Iím asking about a statistic.

President Donald J. Trump: (34:04)
    He tried, but he couldnít get it done. I got criminal justice [crosstalk 00:34:07]-
    Jonathan Swan: (34:07)
    I get it. I get it.

President Donald J. Trump: (34:07)
    I got opportunities on, I took care of the historically BlackÖ If you look at what Iíve done for colleges, for Black colleges and universities, I got them funding. Obama never did it. I did more for the Black community than anybody with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln, whether you like it or not. People say, ďOh, thatís interesting.Ē
    Jonathan Swan: (34:31)
    You really believe you did more than Lyndon Johnson who passed the Civil Rights Act?

President Donald J. Trump: (34:34)
    I think I did, yeah.
    Jonathan Swan: (34:34)
    How? How possibly did you-

President Donald J. Trump: (34:36)
    Because I got criminal justice reform done, I got prison reform-
    Jonathan Swan: (34:38)
    Lyndon Johnson-

President Donald J. Trump: (34:39)
    Iíve done things. Well-
    Jonathan Swan: (34:41)
    He passed the Civil Rights Act.

President Donald J. Trump: (34:43)
    Ask. Ask. How has it worked out? If you take a look at what Lyndon Johnson did?
    Jonathan Swan: (34:46)
    You think the Civil Rights Act was a mistake?

President Donald J. Trump: (34:46)
    How has it worked out? Because frankly, it took a long time, but for African Americans-
    Jonathan Swan: (34:53)
    But you think that was a mistake?

President Donald J. Trump: (34:54)
    Ö under my administration, Jonathan, under my administration, African Americans were doing better than they have ever done in the history of this country. So I did a lot, job numbers, all of it, money. They had money, they were getting great. Their percentage was up, their housing ownership was up. They did better than theyíve ever done until we got hit-
    Jonathan Swan: (35:12)
    I just donít know how you can-

President Donald J. Trump: (35:13)
    Ö and now you know what weíre doing? Iím building it up again. Weíre going to have it. Next year will be a great year, unless itís screwed up by somebody that doesnít know what heís doing, which could happen, but I donít think it will.
    Jonathan Swan: (35:24)
    John Lewis is lying in state in the U.S. Capitol. How do you think history will remember John Lewis?

President Donald J. Trump: (35:29)
    I donít know. I really donít know. I donít know. I donít know John Lewis. He chose not to come to my inauguration. He choseÖ I never met John Lewis, actually, I donít believe.
    Jonathan Swan: (35:42)
    Do you find him impressive?

President Donald J. Trump: (35:46)
    I canít say one or the other. I find a lot of people impressive. I find many people not impressive. But no, but I didnít go-
    Jonathan Swan: (35:52)
    Do you find his story impressive?

President Donald J. Trump: (35:53)
    He didnít come to my inauguration. He didnít come to my State of the Union speeches, and thatís okay. Thatís his right. And again, nobody has done more-
    Jonathan Swan: (36:02)
    Right, but back-

President Donald J. Trump: (36:03)
    Ö for Black Americans than I have.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:05)
    I understand.

President Donald J. Trump: (36:05)
    He shouldíve come. I think he made a big mistake by not showing up.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:08)
    But taking your relationship with him out of it, do you find his story impressive? What heís done for this country?

President Donald J. Trump: (36:14)
    He was a person that devoted a lot of energy and a lot of heart to civil rights, but there were many others also.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:23)
    Thereís a petition to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama as the John Lewis Bridge. Would you support that idea?

President Donald J. Trump: (36:32)
    I would have no objection to it if theyíve like to do it.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:34)
    Yeah? Itís a good idea?

President Donald J. Trump: (36:34)
    Would have no objection to it whatsoever.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:36)
    Mr. President, youíve been so generous with your time and we really appreciate.

President Donald J. Trump: (36:39)
    Well, thank you very much. Great honor.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:40)
    Thank you so much.

President Donald J. Trump: (36:41)
    Thank you.
    Speaker 1: (36:45)
    Okay, thank you.
    President Donald J. Trump: (36:46)
    Thank you very much.
    Jonathan Swan: (36:47)
    Thank you, sir.

And all he cared about was the part about whether he read reports or not so he had them put a stack of newspapers in his hand leaving the golf course?

What a devastatng interview. The only US reporter who has done something similar is Chris Wallace of Fox.
    Devastating.

Jonathan Swan did a great job of giving him the rope to hang himself. However, I still say this interview (and others like it) will have a minimal, if any, effect on the election. His supporters have demonstrated adequate ability to overlook absolutely anything.

GH

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My head hurts...
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

So does mine.
    Could it be that his incoherent way of thinking is prevailing among his followers? I read this and, as Dry hints, what comes across is a seriously defective mind. But, if you also think that way, then by definition you can't see it. Could that be part of his appeal? He is synchronized to uneducated mentalities that have no idea whatsoever on how to relay information and set up a debatable issue?

I still say: if Biden goes into a debate with this moron and does not demand a RED LIGHT that will go on whenever a lie is told, it will be a wasted time. And actually, two lights. The first one will certainly burn out.
    (I know LED's don't burn out, but you get the point).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Lady G is trending on Twitter so I wanted to see why. It's mainly MAGAt's saying people calling him LadyG are homophobic.

Who says things aren't strange these days?

New York attorney general seeks to dissolve NRA in suit accusing gun rights group of wide-ranging fraud and self-dealing

By
    Carol D. Leonnig
    August 6, 2020 at 11:42 a.m. EDT

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

In her lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James called for the dissolution of the NRA and the removal of CEO Wayne LaPierre from the leadership post he has held for the past 39 years, saying he and others used the group’s funds to finance a luxury lifestyle.

She also asked a New York court to force LaPierre and three key deputies to repay NRA members for the ill-gotten funds and inflated salaries that her investigation found they took.

James accused the NRA leaders of flouting state and federal laws and signing off on reports and statements they knew were fraudulent, while diverting millions of dollars away from the NRA’s charitable mission to benefit themselves and their allies.

The attorney general requested that the court bar the four men — LaPierre, general counsel John Frazer, former treasurer Woody Phillips and former chief of staff Joshua Powell — from ever serving in a leadership position for a New York charity in the future.

“The NRA’s influence has been so powerful that the organization went unchecked for decades while top executives funneled millions into their own pockets,” James, a Democrat, said in a statement.

Her investigation, which began in February 2019, found a “a culture of self-dealing, mismanagement, and negligent oversight at the NRA that was illegal, oppressive, and fraudulent,” according to a statement by the attorney general’s office.

Meanwhile, D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine announced Thursday that his office filed a separate lawsuit against the NRA Foundation, which is based in Washington. Racine accused the organization of being a puppet of the NRA, despite legal requirements that it independently pursue charitable purposes. Instead, Racine said his office found, the foundation repeatedly loaned the NRA money to address its rising deficits.

James said at a news conference Thursday that she is seeking to dissolve the NRA because of the brazenness of the group’s violations of law.

“The corruption was so broad and because they have basically destroyed all the assets of the NRA,” she said. “Enough was enough … No one is above the law, not even the NRA.”

Her office cited as a precedent its previous action against the Trump Foundation, which led President Trump to shut down the charity in 2018 amid allegations that he used it for his personal benefit.

The New York lawsuit against the NRA paints a picture of widespread wrongdoing at the influential gun rights group, and a freewheeling atmosphere in which top officials repeatedly took advantage of their positions for their personal benefit.

In one new revelation, the attorney general said her investigation uncovered that LaPierre recently arranged a post-employment contract for himself with the NRA worth $17 million. He never sought board approval for the deal, the suit claims.

The lawsuit also claims LaPierre failed to report large sums of personal income to the IRS. James’s office said it found that the NRA chief funneled personal expenses through an outside public relations firm, allowing him to avoid reporting hundreds of thousands of dollars of personal income.

James said Thursday that she was referring those findings to the IRS. She also said that if her office uncovers criminal activity, it will be referred to the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office.

In response, the NRA said Thursday that it was filing its own lawsuit against James, alleging that the New York attorney general has violated the group’s free speech rights.

“This was a baseless, premeditated attack on our organization and the Second Amendment freedoms it fights to defend,” NRA President Carolyn Meadows said in a statement. “You could have set your watch by it: the investigation was going to reach its crescendo as we move into the 2020 election cycle.

“It’s a transparent attempt to score political points and attack the leading voice in opposition to the leftist agenda,” she added. “This has been a power grab by a political opportunist – a desperate move that is part of a rank political vendetta. Our members won’t be intimidated or bullied in their defense of political and constitutional freedom.”

Trump also decried the legal action against the organization, which spent millions on his behalf in 2016, calling it a “terrible thing” as he spoke to reporters Thursday morning at the White House. He said the NRA had been “decimated” by legal expenses and suggested the group should relocate from New York to Texas.

The scope of the allegations by the New York attorney general represents a serious challenge to the longtime political juggernaut , which has been riven in the past two years by infighting about use of the group’s funds.

Longtime NRA member Rob Pincus, a critic of LaPierre’s leadership, said Thursday in a statement that “none of us who have been pushing for NRA reform are celebrating today’s announcement.”

“It is tragic that the NY AG’s office is having to step in to clean up the NRA,” he added.

The group’s bitter internal battle burst into public view in April 2019 at the NRA’s annual convention in Indianapolis, when then-NRA President Oliver North was forced out by LaPierre after pressing for an internal financial review.

The Washington Post and other news organizations subsequently revealed how the NRA directed funds to board members and how LaPierre racked up hundreds of thousands of dollars in charges at a Beverly Hills clothing boutique and on foreign travel.

The Post also reported how, after a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Fla., Pierre told close associates he was worried about how easily he could be targeted and needed a more secure place to live and sought to buy a $6 million, 10,000-square-foot French-style country estate in Westlake, Tex.

The suit expands on previous allegations that LaPierre improperly charged the NRA for private jet travel and luxury vacations that had no clear business purpose. The filing claims LaPierre billed the NRA more than $500,000 for private charter flights he and his family took to visit the Bahamas eight times over three years.

Last year, a spokesman for LaPierre told The Post his visits to the Bahamas were for NRA business. But the New York attorney general’s investigation found the trips were private vacations.

In four years, LaPierre was reimbursed by the NRA for $1.2 million in expenses that were personal trip, golf fees and gifts, the suit claims.

LaPierre also spent $3.6 million of NRA money for private travel consultants to arrange private jets and executive car service for his and his family’s use over just two years, the suit says. And he set aside several millions each year for private security for him and his family.

LaPierre also enjoyed the largesse of NRA vendors who hoped to keep their organization’s business, the suit said. One vendor gave LaPierre and his wife an all-expense paid trip to Africa for a safari adventure; another frequently loaned LaPierre and his family the use of his 107-foot yacht on his visits to the Caribbean.

Phillips, the former treasurer, is accused in the suit of arranging a NRA deal worth more than $1 million that benefited his girlfriend. The lawsuit also claims that shortly before he retired in 2018, Phillips obtained a contract for himself worth $1.8 million. On paper, Phillips’s contract called for him to provide advice and consulting services for the new treasurer; but the new treasurer said he knew nothing of the contract and never received any services from Phillips, the suit claims.

Powell, LaPierre’s former chief of staff, had his salary increased from $250,000 to $800,000 in just three years as a reward for his loyalty to LaPierre, the suit states, and allegedly pocketed an additional $100,000 he was not entitled to as a housing allowance. In addition, Powell also arranged for his wife and father to earn money through NRA contracts.

The lawsuit accuses Frazer, who was general counsel to the NRA, of failing to make sure the nonprofit was governed properly and followed state and federal laws, and it claims he certified false or misleading annual statements.

James said Frazer failed to comply with the rules on board governance, to make sure the board was aware of and voting on major financial transactions and to follow the NRA’s conflict of interest policy.

A central fraud embedded in NRA finances, James’s suit claims, was a secret agreement to pass questionable expenses through its Oklahoma-based advertising agency, Ackerman McQueen.

Under this agreement, the suit alleges, LaPierre and his inner circle of trusted deputies rerouted millions of dollars in lavish personal expenses for themselves, their families and allies through Ackerman McQueen. The goal was to avoid having the board or other members of the NRA know that the charitable organization was paying so much money for LaPierre’s membership fees at golf clubs, private jets and designer suits, the lawsuit said.

Ackerman McQueen then billed the NRA for these large, unexplained sums, calling them “out-of-pocket” expenses, suggesting they were related to the company’s advertising work for the NRA.

The attorney general’s office said it found that Ackerman McQueen billed the NRA $70 million in just 2017 and 2018 for its public relations work, including “out-of-pocket” expenses.

A very large portion of those hidden expenses were for personal trips and expenses for LaPierre. In a deposition in a separate lawsuit last year, LaPierre acknowledged he did not report any of the NRA-paid expenses as personal income to the IRS and claimed they were business expenses.

In its statement, the attorney general’s office said this practice “did not comply with IRS requirements, and, as a result, all such expenses should have been included by the NRA in taxable personal income for LaPierre.”

The partnership between the NRA and the public relations firm began to crack after James, then a candidate for New York attorney general, announced in summer of 2018 that she planned to launch an investigation of the NRA if she won. LaPierre hired a new law firm, led by Angus McQueen’s estranged son-in-law. That attorney, Bill Brewer, urged that the NRA to audit Ackerman McQueen’s bills in preparation for James’s probe.

At LaPierre’s direction and with Brewer’s help, the NRA ejected its in-house lawyer and sued Ackerman McQueen, accusing them of concealing details of the nearly $40 million the NRA paid the firm each year.

Last spring, North announced in Indianapolis he would not seek a second term as president, warning about exorbitant payments to Brewer’s firm and reports of financial mismanagement.

“There is a clear crisis,” North said in his letter announcing his departure.

Tom Hamburger contributed to this report.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ge%2Fstory-ans

This is really big news, but I feel sure the NRA will find a way to get out of this. If there is one organization in this country that needs to go away, this is it. GH

Page 863 of 863 FirstFirst ... 613763813838853859860861862863