Agree Agree:  2,582
Likes Likes:  2,784
Page 853 of 859 FirstFirst ... 603753803828843849850851852853854855856857 ... LastLast
Results 12,781 to 12,795 of 12871

Re: Politics Random Random

We've discussed it many times, but the question still comes back - how can it be that 40% of population thinks Trump is doing a great job when it's so clear that he is not? Mind you this is separate from supporting the general Republican policies. Below is an asnwer I really like from a US political blog.

The current era of U.S. history will provide useful raw material for generations of future scholars interested in the study of cognitive dissonance.

The basic theory of cognitive dissonance, for those who are not familiar, is that everyone has deeply held beliefs. And when information arises that challenges those deeply held beliefs, it causes stress that must be resolved. There are four basic ways to achieve this resolution, which we will illustrate using "Donald Trump is a great president" as an example:

Change the belief: In this case, "Donald Trump is a great president" becomes "Maybe Donald Trump is not a great president." This is, of course, a tough bridge for many people to cross, and so this is the least common resolution to cognitive dissonance.

Create an exception to the belief: In this case, ""Donald Trump is a great president" becomes "Donald Trump is a great president, even if he didn't do that well with COVID-19."

Justify the belief: In this case, ""Donald Trump is a great president" becomes "Donald Trump is a great president, and if he couldn't deal with COVID-19 successfully, then clearly nobody could."

Ignore contrary information: In this case, "Donald Trump is a great president" becomes "Donald Trump is a great president, and COVID-19 is fake news created by people who refuse to accept that fundamental truth."

Obviously, Trump supporters have become skilled practitioners of #2 and #3, although that is not unusual, because most people are pretty skilled practitioners of #2 and #3. What's more unusual is the extent to which Trump supporters practice #4, a behavior that seems so contrary to existence as a functional, mentally healthy human being that the fellow who first described the concept of cognitive dissonance in the 1950s (Leon Festinger) had to work hard to convince his colleagues that the behavior actually exists.

Why are Trump supporters so inclined toward option 4? Well, the President's behavior, from pu**y grabbing, to profiting off of his office, to lying, to immature tweets, to Ukraineyola, to COVID-19 creates a lot of cognitive dissonance. Options 2 and 3 actually produce a pretty heavy cognitive load, such that it's difficult for a person to utilize them too often and still keep their belief system straight. Meanwhile, the culture wars have caused a whole bunch of otherwise unrelated things to become conflated: support for Trump, gun rights, religion, masculinity, self-determination, whiteness, liberty, the future, etc., such that rejecting the President threatens to undermine the whole system of belief. After all, if I/my pastor/my father/my spouse/my mother/my best friend were wrong about Trump, what else was I/my pastor/my father/my spouse/my mother/my best friend wrong about? Anyhow, if #1 is off the table, and #2 and #3 have been deployed to their (cognitive) breaking point, then #4 is pretty much all that's left. To use another psychological buzzword, it's a classic defense mechanism.

https://www.electoral-vote.com/
    Roger forever

Although I like the posting, I disagree to an extent. Tiny's 40% of acolytes remain faithful and blind because of the core qualities that binds them together: racism + xenophobia + misogynism. They simply remain attached to this fraud because not other figure articulates these positions as clearly as Tiny does.
    Therefore, CD position #5 enters the fray: "He is a perhaps not a great president, but he is better than any other president because he holds the same beliefs I do, and acts in that way too". Call that IGNORE THE QUESTION AND FLIP IT.
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Almost all of the people who live right around us are Trump supporters. For me, Ponchi's position #5 describes almost exactly the way I believe that most of them think. This belief is in fact largely conjecture, because I cannot bring myself to discuss politics with any of them. But the comments I hear would put them in category #5. GH

Steve King, the white supremacist Iowa Congressman lost his primary yesterday. The guy who beat him is less awful, but still very right-wing. In that district, I'd be very surprised for a Democrat to win that seat, but it would be a wonderful thing to see. GH

In a sense, for the Dems, that is bad news indeed. King was more vulnerable.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    Steve King, the white supremacist Iowa Congressman lost his primary yesterday. The guy who beat him is less awful, but still very right-wing. In that district, I'd be very surprised for a Democrat to win that seat, but it would be a wonderful thing to see. GH
    Even the GOP wanted him out. They funded and supported Feenstra instead. Unfortunately, there's no way a Democrat wins that seat anytime in the near future.

Meanwhile, I saw an interesting piece from Politico about the GOP's success with women candidates. That's something to keep an eye on.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...keaways-298103
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'll put this here. This is the new landing page text for kiva.org. Some context... Most Kiva field partners around the world had to shut down operations due to COVID-19, so the volume of loans currently fundraising is roughly 10% of what would normally be fundraising this time of year. (There's a big difference between 7000 loans fundraising and 700 loans fundraising.) And about 10 of the loans currently fundraising are loans to Kiva field partners--not Kiva borrowers--to help them survive the COVID-19 era. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

So Kiva is actively encouraging lenders to throw their money elsewhere--with some recommendations. Thought some of you might find this interesting.

::

Black Lives Matter.

Dreams are universal, opportunity is not. There is so much opportunity that is not open or accessible to Black Americans due to long-standing systemic racism. This is not fair and this is not right.

No single individual or organization can resolve systemic racism alone. We all have a part to play in making things better and we need to do this together. At Kiva, we’re focused on getting money to marginalized communities—especially those who can’t traditionally access it due to discrimination.

We believe that everyone should have financial opportunity. We also believe that everyone should have the right to feel safe both at home and in public, and should have the opportunity to safely protest against police brutality and systemic injustices.

We'll get back to fighting for financial inclusion another day. Today we want to focus on social justice so instead of making a Kiva loan, please donate to the NAACP, ACLU, SPLC, Greenlining and Black Lives Matter.

We’re here and we’re with you.

The Kiva Community
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Not that it makes a milligram of difference...

Grassley blocks nominees over Trump's inspector general firings
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley on Thursday said he would seek to block two of Donald Trump’s nominees in response to the president’s firing of two inspectors general, citing the need for “checks and balances.”

Grassley has been pressing the White House to provide a rationale for Trump’s decision to dismiss the intelligence community’s inspector general and his counterpart at the State Department, and has said responses from the White House have fallen short.

In statements submitted to the congressional record, Grassley said he would block any request for unanimous consent in the Senate to approve Christopher Miller to head the National Counterterrorism Center without an explanation for Intelligence Community Inspector General Michael Atkinson’s dismissal.

Similarly, he said he would seek to block approval of the nomination of Marshall Billingslea to be an undersecretary at the State Department absent an explanation for the termination of State Department Inspector General Steve Linick.

Agency inspectors general are charged with guarding against illegal conduct and mismanagement.

Their job is meant to be nonpartisan, but a president has a right to remove them for any reason. U.S. law requires a president to notify Congress within 30 days of such action.

Linick became the fourth government watchdog dismissed by the Republican president in recent months when he was fired on May 15, leading to charges from Democrats that Trump was moving against internal critics.

In an interview with members of Congress on Wednesday, Linick confirmed he was fired while investigating the declaration of a “national emergency” to justify arms sales to Saudi Arabia, lawmakers said.

“All I want is a reason 4 (for) firing these ppl (people),” Grassley said in a tweet.
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

See how easy that was... Nothing like moving with the times at warp speed.

Virginia governor orders removal of statue of Civil War General Lee
    (Reuters) - Virginia Governor Ralph Northam, responding to protests decrying racism after the death of a black man in police custody in Minneapolis, on Thursday ordered the removal of a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in the state’s capital city of Richmond.

Saying the statue should be detached from its pedestal “as soon as possible” by the Department of General Services, the Democratic governor acknowledged the move could stir anger from admirers of the commander, who led troops in a slave-owning state during the American Civil War.

“Yes, that statue has been there for a long time. But it was wrong then and it is wrong now, so we’re taking it down,” Northam told a press conference.

A spokeswoman for the Virginia Department of General Services did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment about when the statue would be removed.

Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney cheered the governor’s order as Virginia was set to enter Phase Two of its coronavirus reopening plan on Friday, when restaurants and gyms can offer limited indoor service.

“We have two pandemics in this country, COVID-19 and racism,” Stoney said. “One is six months old, the other 400 years old. Both are lethal, especially for black and brown people.”

The move comes after George Floyd’s death on May 25 set off waves of protests and unrest across the United States. Four Minneapolis police officers have been criminally charged.

FILE PHOTO: The statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee in Richmond, Virginia, U.S., September 16, 2017. REUTERS/Joshua Roberts
    In Richmond, protestors, many wearing face masks to guard against COVID-19 spread, gathered around the defaced statue on Monument Avenue, holding high a raised fist and taking a knee in symbolic denunciation of racism. The pedestal, which has been repeatedly vandalized in recent years, this week was disfigured with spraypaint reading “Stop White Supremacy” and “ALM,” which means “All Lives Matter.”

Stoney said the governor’s order marked “a new day for our city. And for our Commonwealth.

“As a 39-year-old black man, the grandson of
    "And for my next fearless prediction..."

Remove them all. Put them in a museum, properly curated.
    And the museum should be in the South. The deep south.
    There is a reason Auschwitz and Tuol Sleng are museums now. Very hard to forget those stories when you visit them (I have not been to Auschwitz).

Journalism Twitter has been in an uproar since yesterday about this op-ed by Tom Cotton.

Non white reporters forced a face to face with the editor of the op-ed page where the following was revealed:

Sarah Weinman @sarahw
    "Near the end of the day, James Bennet, the editor in charge of the opinion section, said in a meeting with staff members that he had not read the essay before it was published." I just....cannot get over this.

like did he recuse himself because Cotton serves in the same legislature as his brother??
    marc tracy @marcatracy

NEW: Times spokeswoman sends mea culpa

“No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Journalism Twitter has been in an uproar since yesterday about this op-ed by Tom Cotton.

Non white reporters forced a face to face with the editor of the op-ed page where the following was revealed:

marc tracy @marcatracy

NEW: Times spokeswoman sends mea culpa

How, at this moment in history, on this topic, do you not review something from a known racist before it's published?

More:

southpaw
    @nycsouthpaw
    Bennet wrote an op-ed of his own earlier in the day that made much of the op-ed page’s “interrogation” of Cotton’s argument and subjecting it to the discipline of essay writing, but did not disclose he hadn’t read Cotton’s piece himself prepublication. https://nytimes.com/2020/06/04/opini...ton-op-ed.html

This could go in the "Hades" thread too.

Kurt Eichenwald @kurteichenwald

I read "John Dowd" letter Trump put out. Ive read plenty of letters by John Dowd. He's been a lawyer in white collar cases I covered. He was in one of my books. This letter WASNT written by Dowd.

It was written by Trump. And Dowd, as Trump's lawyers, can't reveal the deception

...KNOW that was written by Trump because, ultimately, Bornstein said so. And I eagerly await John Dowd's autobiography after Trump dies where he expresses his utter dismay that Trump released a letter Trump wrote claiming it to be written by Dowd....

...and here is the kicker - Dowd was in a case I wrote about where the main person involved (Person A) wrote a letter attesting to how everything that A was saying was true. But A wrote the letter himself. The person who discovered the forgery was me. And immediately....

...after that, Person A who wrote the letter that he claimed was written by his doctor, was taken to a mental hospital to get properly medicated because it was his mental illness that led him to "forge" a letter that sounded exactly like Person A wrote it.....

...so now Trump is releasing letters he wrote and putting them in other people's names. Person A was institutionalized. Trump needs to be too, under he is finally properly medicated.

fin

This is about Mattis calling Tiny out on his bs.

This happened on the Twitter today:

Page 853 of 859 FirstFirst ... 603753803828843849850851852853854855856857 ... LastLast