Agree Agree:  2,437
Likes Likes:  2,635
Page 829 of 829 FirstFirst ... 579729779804819825826827828829
Results 12,421 to 12,434 of 12434

Re: Politics Random Random

This is a good time to remember that Tiny wanted to name his personal pilot to head the FAA. Since that didn't fly, pun intended, Elain Chao, Mitch McConnell's wife, is the only confirmed cabinet member with some say in this. Remember her family's money comes from shipping but don't worry. She sat on the board of an airline company so she's got this. (Sarcasm alert)
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I'm guessing we aren't the only area with Southwest operating where the local news has turned the end of the Boeing 737 coverage or the consumer alert section into a how to on checking out which type of plane you're flying on before you book it.

And they've also been talking to passengers coming off of Southwest. So far, I've only seen one rather dim young woman who thinks it's no big deal (she wasn't dim because of her opinion, but because she seemed to struggle with forming coherent sentences in English, her native language) and would fly again. The rest were very put out by the 6 month 2 crash thing and said they wouldn't fly it again.

All this to say, I'd be surprised if consumers didn't impact this on their own, they will signal that they don't feel safe flying this plane. The negative news coverage of the prior near misses by Southwest certainly made consumers look elsewhere and this is worse.

A top travel blogger, "One Mile at a Time" notified his followers that he will not fly one of these jets, that he changed a flight to avoid one, and that there is a $200 fee if you change after you book (I think).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...37-max-n982181

There is also this:

Kayak search filter lets customers avoid jets used in deadly crash
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Someone in my office flew on a Max 8 last week, and she came back to the office last Friday and mentioned how she and her husband thought it was having trouble "elevating" (the word she used) and "wasn't going to make it."

Glenn Kessler
    ‏Verified account
    @GlennKesslerWP

I covered airline safety and the FAA for four years, and I cannot remember a time when the FAA was so alone among world regulators on a serious safety issue. When a major accident like this happened, global aviation authorities conferred with the FAA -- which took the lead.

Now even Canada has abandoned the US and announced it will bar the Boeing 737 Max from entering its airspace.
    Yamiche Alcindor
    ‏Verified account
    @Yamiche

BREAKING: President Trump just announced that all Boeing 737 Max 8 and Max 9 planes will be grounded. Anyones in the air will land in their destination and then be grounded.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    Someone in my office flew on a Max 8 last week, and she came back to the office last Friday and mentioned how she and her husband thought it was having trouble "elevating" (the word she used) and "wasn't going to make it."
    Oh man, that is seriously frightening. I think we've all been on turbulent flights that get uneasy, but something like this? I mean, it could have lasting effects that make people fly considerably less.

Glad they have grounded them, but it shouldn't have taken so long to make a sensible decision.

Statement from Southwest

Southwest Airlines
    Verified account
    @SouthwestAir

Our statement regarding the Boeing 737 MAX 8:

American Airlines Statement

On March 13, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) grounded all U.S.-registered Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, including the 8 and 9 variants, as a precautionary measure. This includes the 24 MAX 8 aircraft in the American Airlines fleet. We are complying with the FAA directive.

• On average, American operates 85 flights per day on the MAX 8, out of 6,700 departures throughout the American Airlines system.

• The safety and security of our team members and our customers remains our top priority. We continue to have the utmost confidence in our fleet, which is flown by our highly-trained pilots and maintained by our highly-skilled maintenance team.

• American regularly monitors aircraft performance and safety parameters across our entire fleet, including extensive flight data collection. This data, along with our analysis, gives us confidence in the safe operation of all of our aircraft, and contributes to American’s exemplary safety record. American has flown more than 2.5 million passengers — during 46,400 operating hours encompassing nearly 18,000 flights — safely on our MAX 8 fleet since the first one was delivered on Sept. 2017 and began commercial service later that November.

• We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause some of our customers. Our team will work with all customers impacted by these flight cancellations in order to rebook them to their final destination. Affected customers may rebook themselves on aa.com by retrieving their reservation or using our mobile app. If a flight is canceled, customers may request a full refund by visiting our website. Customers who booked through a travel agent are requested to contact their agency directly.

• American is working in close coordination with our union partners, the Department of Transportation, FAA, National Transportation Safety Board and other regulatory authorities, as the safety of our team members and customers is always our number one priority.

http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...s/default.aspx

And finally, United's statement

Cancellations matter.

I am totally surprised that SW has over 750 planes.
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I am totally surprised that SW has over 750 planes.

Why is it funny?
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Why is it funny?
    The implied shade. Southwest is not an airline you'd think of having that many planes.

Page 829 of 829 FirstFirst ... 579729779804819825826827828829