Agree Agree:  2,352
Likes Likes:  2,557
Page 806 of 810 FirstFirst ... 556706756781796802803804805806807808809810 LastLast
Results 12,076 to 12,090 of 12138

Re: Politics Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Not so fast...

AprilDRyan
    ‏Verified account
    @AprilDRyan

Early this am the @AP had @RepDeSantis at 49.7% and @AndrewGillum at 49%. The Gillum camp contends he conceded too early and they are not finished as the votes continue to come in an the margin narrows.
    I was reading news where Gillum was over 70K when I went to sleep. Then this morning that number was down to 55K. Abrams was 2 percent down in GA while Gillum is less than 1.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

On the local delusional level this year, Maria Cantwell beat former local news anchor and right wing weirdo Susan Hutchinson by 18 points. In her concession speech, Hutchinson made a comment on how she had proven a point that the state of Washington doesn't like Maria Cantwell (this is her 4th term).
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rest in peace, Lizbeth Rivera (1988-2018).

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    He won the Internet with that tweet.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Not so fast...

AprilDRyan
    ‏Verified account
    @AprilDRyan

Early this am the @AP had @RepDeSantis at 49.7% and @AndrewGillum at 49%. The Gillum camp contends he conceded too early and they are not finished as the votes continue to come in an the margin narrows.
    I was really surprised he conceded so quickly last night

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    I agree. But even more so the biggest disappointment to me is that white people, white women in particular it seems, continue to lie about what they believe and what they will tolerate. The Bradley effect is looking to be in play big time in FL.

And I know the FL numbers are looking super fishy and I hope they look into the discrepancies, but still, no defending GOP FL voters to me. The campaign they ran in FL was Jim Crow at its worst. Trying to spin it differently is just naivete. They used every racist dog whistle in the book in that campaign. There is no justifying that GOP Governor vote and still act as if you care about equality and dignity of people of all races. You don't, and you should just don a sheet and stop lying to yourself, we'd all know where we stood much better at that point.
    I just had to quote this note to say that I very, very strongly agree with every word. Everything about the GOP voters in Florida is spot on.

Also, a thought about the Bradley effect. I think that likely had quite a role in the results in both Florida and Georgia in the governors' races. If you think about it, the Bradley effect only needs to apply to maybe 2% of the white voters to get this result. Polls were tending to show Gillum up by a few percentage points. If 2% of the white voters answered the poll as saying they would vote for Gillum and then switched once inside the voting booth (the Bradley effect), that would be sufficient to swing such a close election.

While I am thrilled that the Dems have control of the House back, my biggest disappointments are these:

1. Beto losing in Texas. I continue to find it hard to believe that any human being can walk into a voting booth and vote for Ted Cruz for anything.

2. The likelihood of 3 enormous losses in Georgia and Florida....both gubernatorial races and Nelson losing Senate in Florida.

3. The state of Ohio (since that is basically where I live now). Ohio re-elected Sherrod Brown to the Senate. After that, the state was an utter disaster. DeWine is the new governor, and he is far to the right of the outgoing John Kasich, who seems more and more moderate the more the rest of the Republican Party moves to the right. I have no idea how someone could split their vote and vote, on the same ballot, for Brown for Senator and DeWine for governor. That requires one to vote for 2 diametrically opposite candidates. In our district, our awful Tea Party Republican Congressman got 67% of the vote (probably before absolutely all votes counted). Quite a few people in our district had to vote for Sherrod Brown and Warren Davidson (the Congressman). That makes NO sense at all.
    More on the Ohio House races: Due to our horrendous gerrymandering, Ohio was and is represented by 12 Republicans and 4 Democrats, despite the overall numbers in the state not being so different. There were several Ohio Republican seats that were seen to be vulnerable, and not a single one was won by the Democrat.
    This all makes Ohio one of my big disappointments, though it would have been much, much worse if Sherrod Brown had lost.

A couple of really pleasant results for me included the Kansas and Colorado gubernatorial elections. And there were many House seats with incredibly pleasing results.....what about the lesbian Native American who was elected in KANSAS of all places? And what about Staten Island? And Pennsylvania will now be 9 and 9 in the House, when very recently it was overwhelmingly more represented by Republicans (improved with that special election earlier as well).

Just my musings.....while there are many things that could have made me much more pleased, I do think we have to really look at this as a pretty wonderful result.

GH

Glenn, I saw the OH map for the first time just a bit ago. Disappointing is an understatement. I assume because of Sherrod, a Dem could theoretically win the electoral votes in a presidential race. But the visual of the state suggests that Ohio has no business being part of the battleground discussion. It just looks ruby red with barely there blue quadrants. It's really a shocking visual given the sizes, population and spread out location of Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Akron, Dayton and Toledo, all of which to my knowledge have Democratic mayors.

I know what you say of Dewine is true, but the thought of Kasich as a moderate is frightening one.

Even 2 years ago, I would not have called Kasich a moderate. But 2 things have happened......I actually think he himself has become more moderate in that time. But more, it is what I said in that note, that he seems more moderate by comparison to the rest of his party.

We live in a district that has a Tea Party/ Freedom Caucus Republican, Warren Davidson. He does not have, to my view, a single redeeming characteristic as a Congressman. And yet, in this district, he got 67% of the vote. That shows you where we are. And unfortunately, I must agree that we are moving redder, away from "battleground" discussion.

By the way, we live about 25 miles from downtown Dayton. And yes, Dayton has a Democrat as mayor, and she is pretty wonderful. I would love for her to move up to statewide office, or even a US Congressional spot, but at least for now, that will not happen. Dayton is not in our Congressional district. They have Mike Turner, who was viewed as vulnerable in this election. Yet he won quite comfortably. Even worse news about our geography is that we live about 20 miles from the hometown of Jim Jordan (Urbana, Ohio). He is in yet another district. You would know my opinion of him, and again, he is in NO danger of not being re-elected.

GH

Addendum: Sorry, I just realized that the 2nd paragraph of this post is totally redundant. I didn't realize I had said that about our Congressman on TAT.
    Last edited by GlennHarman; 11-08-2018 at 03:15 AM. Reason: addendum

Kasich is downright earthbound when you compare him to the rest of the GOP. It is a person that you get the feeling you could talk with. You might not agree at the end of the conversation but you would not be tearing your hair off either.
    Compare that to L. Graham or Cruz, and he is a moderate. And just imagine Kasich in the WH. You could live with that.
    Starry starry night

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, my dad told me that when he went to vote in his Russian-speaking, heavily Republican neighborhood in Brooklyn (the pro-Trump propaganda they get is worse than anything Fox News could dream of) the poll WORKERS handing out ballots to the older people voting were pointing to the Republican column and saying, "This is "our" column, mark your votes down this column." I'm not sure if there were any election monitors there who didn't speak Russian or they just didn't mind, or what.

He didn't report it.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was just hospitalized with fractured ribs.
    I disapprove of this message

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    So, my dad told me that when he went to vote in his Russian-speaking, heavily Republican neighborhood in Brooklyn (the pro-Trump propaganda they get is worse than anything Fox News could dream of) the poll WORKERS handing out ballots to the older people voting were pointing to the Republican column and saying, "This is "our" column, mark your votes down this column." I'm not sure if there were any election monitors there who didn't speak Russian or they just didn't mind, or what.

He didn't report it.
    It wasn't just where your Dad lives.

Williamsburg Voters Were Allegedly Told Ballots Wouldn't Count Unless They Voted 'Straight-Party

BY CLAIRE LAMPEN IN NEWS ON NOV 7, 2018 4:42 PM

An untold number of New York City voters had a frustrating time at the polls yesterday: Scanners buckled under the demands of so much civic duty done, tasked with accommodating not only an extra large voter turnout, but also this year's big 'n tall, two-for-one ballots. On top of all that, it was raining and humid, which the Board of Elections says caused some ballots swell and jam the scanners. We still managed to get the job done, but the hours-long lines are not a sign of a functional democracy.

The chaos created extra work for people staffing the polls, and I for one am prepared to grant some free passes to those who occasionally let their exasperation show. But according to tipster Nicole Pasquale, who signed up as a poll worker at a Williamsburg poll site in I.S. 71 on Tuesday and with whom (full disclosure) this writer used to work, the site managers dispensed with the niceties even before polls opened.

"At 5 a.m. I was told to not ask questions and just do as I’m told," Pasquale told Gothamist. "That should've been a little red flag from the beginning."

Pasquale penned a letter detailing her experience, which she submitted to both the Kings County and Manhattan Board of Elections offices, and also posted to social media. She said she watched her fellow poll workers instructing voters that if they did not vote down ticket—if, for example, they selected a Working Families candidate for governor but a Democratic candidate for the Senate—then their ballot would not be processed.

Around 6 p.m., Pasquale wrote, she realized that this had been a directive from the poll site managers and pushed back, only to have them yell at her. According to Pasquale, they also responded aggressively to voters who questioned this made-up rule—split-ticket voting is legal—with the site manager screaming, "Are you calling me a liar?!" at someone who expressed doubt.

Remarkably, Pasquale's site was not among the many flooded with bewildered citizens and only saw one of six scanners break. People did have trouble with the king-size ballots, however. The more experienced poll workers reportedly noticed a higher-than-average number of voided ballots because people kept making mistakes. According to Pasquale, this seemed to contribute to a prickly atmosphere, with poll workers chastising voters for messing up the questions on an already confusing ballot made more difficult to decipher by its interminable length and DIY ripping requirement.

Workers falling asleep on the job exacerbated the poll site's sense of sloppiness, Pasquale said, but the hostility toward questions "created a really intimidating kind of atmosphere." The managers didn't care to cross check ballot counts, she added, and while the whole experience left her feeling deflated, but Pasquale seemed more inclined to blame the system.

"These are nice people who I think were misinformed, not properly supervised, underpaid, and overworked, resulting in a stressful, inefficient, misleading voting experience," she wrote.

Pasquale says Ray Riley, chief clerk at the BOE's Brooklyn Borough Office, accepted her letter in person and vowed to investigate its content, apologizing for the experience and thanking her for her service.

We have contacted the BOE to ask what they plan to do about the complaint, and what kinds of steps they might take for future elections to ensure poll workers are better equipped to handle the stress of the day. Because certainly, poll workers are responsible for keeping up civility, even when faced with nonsense of towering proportions—you must be patient indeed to guide often ill-informed citizens through 15 hours of civic duty—but as the BOE reminded us yesterday, it seems largely incapable of orchestrating an election without things spiraling out of control. I mean come on, how is it that in the country's biggest city, a little bit of rain tanks whole polling sites for hours?

http://gothamist.com/2018/11/07/poll..._complaint.php

Check out her screenshot at the link...
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Schneiderman Will Not Face Criminal Charges in Abuse Complaints
    Eric T. Schneiderman, the former state attorney general, at a news conference in 2016. He resigned in May after some of his romantic partners accused him of assault.CreditCreditMary Altaffer/Associated Press

By Alan Feuer
    Nov. 8, 2018

After a six-month investigation, prosecutors said Thursday that they would not pursue criminal charges against Eric T. Schneiderman, the former New York State attorney general who resigned in May after four women accused him of assaulting them.

The decision not to file charges was announced in a statement issued by Madeline Singas, the Nassau County district attorney, who was asked by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo to investigate the case shortly after Mr. Schneiderman left his post.

Ms. Singas said the women who accused Mr. Schneiderman of abuse were credible, but there were legal hurdles to bringing charges. She did not elaborate on those obstacles, except to say that some of the accusations were too old to pursue under state law.

“I believe the women who shared their experiences with our investigation team,” Ms. Singas wrote, “however legal impediments, including statutes of limitations, preclude criminal prosecution.”

Ms. Singas also noted that she had proposed a new state law that would protect victims of sexually-motivated violence by making it illegal to hit, shove, slap or kick someone without their consent for “the purpose of sexual arousal or gratification.” She added that her inquiry had “found no misconduct” by the staff of the attorney general’s office.

Mr. Schneiderman’s sudden resignation, which took place only hours after the accusations against him were published in The New Yorker, was a stunning fall for a politician who had not only risen to prominence as an antagonist of the Trump administration, but who had also played a forceful personal role in the #MeToo movement.

The women, who had been romantically involved with him, accused him of choking, hitting and slapping them, sometimes during sex and often after drinking. All of them said the violence was not consensual.

In the immediate wake of the allegations, Mr. Schneiderman at first denied assaulting or abusing anyone, saying he had “engaged in role-playing” with the women. But in a statement issued Thursday morning, he apologized both to them and to the people of New York. He also said that he had spent time in “a rehab facility” and was “committed to a lifelong path of recovery and making amends to those I have harmed.”

“I recognize that District Attorney Singas’ decision not to prosecute does not mean I have done nothing wrong,” he wrote. “I accept full responsibility for my conduct in my relationships with my accusers, and for the impact it had on them.”

One of the women, Michelle Manning Barish, described to The New Yorker being slapped by Mr. Schneiderman so violently and abruptly one day it left one of her ears ringing. Ms. Manning Barish said that when she tried to fight back, Mr. Schneiderman pushed her onto a bed, pinned her down with his body weight and then began to choke her.

Ms. Manning Barish said on Thursday she felt “completely vindicated” by Mr. Schneiderman’s apology, which she took as an admission that he had abused her and her fellow accusers. But she called on him to go further and to donate the millions of dollars he collected for his abandoned re-election campaign to groups that combat sexual violence against women.

“This is a victory for all women, but we need more than words,” she said in a written statement.

In October, another accuser, Tanya Selvaratnam, wrote an opinion article for The New York Times, detailing how Mr. Schneiderman often slapped her until she agreed to call him “master” and sometimes referred to her as his “property.”

Ms. Selvaratnam also claimed that Mr. Schneiderman frequently belittled her looks and told her that he could tap her phone and have her followed. “This wasn’t just cruel or weird sex,” she wrote. “It was one element in a larger dynamic of power and control.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/08/n...e-charges.html

Marc Caputo
    ‏Verified account
    @MarcACaputo

Florida Governor’s race for the FIRST TIME is heading to a recount

DeSantis 49.62%
    Gillum: 49.15%

Margin: 0.47%

That’s below the 0.5% trigger for a recount
    Concessions aren't binding.

Also, it makes no sense that people voted to give felons who have served their time the right to vote would turn around and vote for a person who's stance is exactly the opposite.

DeSantis and Scott are not happy campers. Also, Fried(D) is 575 votes ahead of Caldwell(R) in the Agricultural race where Caldwell led all Tuesday night.

Broward and Palm Beach County Florida are still counting votes.
    2018 WTA French Open Champion, Australian Open runner-up and winner in WTA player of month voting for January

Page 806 of 810 FirstFirst ... 556706756781796802803804805806807808809810 LastLast