Page 79 of 194 FirstFirst ... 29546975767778798081828389104129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2899

Re: Politics Random Random

Democrats and Republicans clashed in the Iowa Senate on Thursday in one of the most stinging rounds of political debate so far this session.

One Republican proposal would have required welfare recipients to undergo random drug tests. Another would have applied that same requirement of a parent who accepts child support if an ex-partner demanded and paid for the tests.

A third would have yanked all state money for women’s health services at any organization that performs abortions, which is most directly targeted at Planned Parenthood.

Each was either rejected by Democrats or withdrawn by Republicans after heated debate and a clear sense that the amendment had little chance of passage.
    Democrats said the measures were a “war on women” and antagonistic toward working families and the poor.

One of the most pointed moments came after Sen. Jack Hatch noted that one amendment if passed would prohibit state money being used in abortions even in cases of rape or when a mother’s life is in danger. That would cause the state to lose $1.5 billion in federal money, largely for Medicaid services, he said.

Sen. Kent Sorenson, R-Indianola, then asked: “Sen. Hatch, I’m just curious: How many babies are you willing to slaughter, dismember and throw in a garbage can for a billion dollars?”

Democrats throughout the chamber responded with screams of “point of order!” Senate President Jack Kibbie, D-Emmetsburg, called it a ridiculous question.

Sorenson replied, as the chamber erupted with another round of shouting by Democrats, “Mr. President, I think it’s ridiculous that we can’t save unborn babies for a billion dollars.”

The rejected proposals were amendments to a nearly $1.6 billion health and human services budget bill. The House’s version, House File 2435, has stalled for weeks.

The Senate passed its version, Senate File 2336, Thursday in a 26 to 21 vote along party lines. One of the differences is a $5.7 million allocation for smoking cessation programs. The House so far has recommended no money be spent on those programs, which have been cut from about $6 million two years ago to about $3.2 million in the current fiscal year.

“Once again, the House Republicans have proposed zero dollars. This is wrong,” said Sen. Tod Bowman, D-Maquoketa, whose mother died about 10 years ago from lung cancer related to her decades of smoking.

The drug test proposals came from Sen. Mark Chelgren, R-Ottumwa, who said they would help assure that welfare and child support money is spent appropriately.

Such requirements are an attack on the poor, Democrats alleged.

“There are no statistics. There are no facts. There are no reports that suggest that this is a problem. Give me a break. You’re here not to fix a problem. You’re here to cause one,” Hatch said to Chelgren.

Hatch, who led discussion on the overall budget bill, also told the Senate that he believes such drug test proposals are unfair to women. He predicted the proposal would clog the court system if it became law.

Sen. Joe Bolkcom, D-Iowa City, expressed a similar concern about the abortion proposals.

“It’s time to trust women to make their own choices about their health care providers. It’s time to stop the Republican war on women,” Bolkcom said.

The rhetoric from both sides Thursday is largely political theater that will be used in this fall’s elections, said Timothy Hagle, an associate professor in the political science department at the University of Iowa.

“Given especially this year with redistricting and a lot of people are in new or reformed districts, anything that would allow you to distinguish yourself from another opponent might be beneficial,” Hagle said.

Sen. Brian Schoenjahn, D-Arlington, echoed Hagle’s view as he passed reporters during a heated point in the debate.

“Campaign material. That’s all this is. Ridiculous,” Schoenjahn said.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...restorm-Senate
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

The meme lives on. Newark Mayor Cory Booker, last seen shoveling snow during the blizzard a couple of years back rushed into the burning house of a neighbor to save her.

Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Roger Ailes made a jaw-dropping comment about CNN's Soledad O'Brien during a college lecture on Thursday night.

The Fox News chief was speaking to journalism students at the University of North Carolina. In the question-and-answer segment of the talk, he referred to O'Brien as "that girl that's named after a prison."

Ailes was referring to the Soledad Correctional Facility in Monterey County, California. CNN responded to the remark on Friday. An insider told The Huffington Post, "Roger is wrong. Soledad is named after the Virgin Mary, 'Maria de la Soledad.' It's a name her parents gave her in part because they met at Daily Mass."

Ailes made the comment while speaking about the latest developments at the network for a lecture at the university's journalism school. On Thursday, he also responded to Newt Gingrich's recent criticism of Fox News.

The GOP candidate had accused the network of favoring Romney, and said that CNN was "less biased." Ailes said that Gingrich was "trying to get a job at CNN because he knows he isn't going to get to come back to Fox News."

He condemned the Fox News mole, the former employee who was fired after writing anonymous posts about the network. “The mole shows a culture that believes in theft, a lack of loyalty, turning on his colleagues, lying to management, and there are some real, ethical, serious questions about it,” Ailes said.

He defended Fox News against criticism that the network's coverage is biased, as well. "What you're really telling me is that there's a little cable channel over here that's driving you nuts because it won't line up with your worldview," Ailes said. "If there's an alternative point of view, don’t wet your pants.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1423092.html

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I need to bathe.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Beat you to it dry.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is it just me or is this election cycle more vitriolic than any in the past?

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I stopped paying attention a month or so ago, it seems to be below my intellectual and maturity needs.
    Open wide.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But it's not just the election cycle. It's EVERYTHING. In Arizona now life has been re-defined as PRE-conception. PRE-conception. Allen West is McCarthying. The fact that Mitt Romney (and his wife) actually addressed the NRA meeting today offends me to the core. I mean, what kind of a person would accept an invitation from the NRA to speak? Pat Robertson has reiterated again that women should be "subservient" to men. Chris Christie thinks every getting assistance is sitting on their butts at home waiting for a check (91% of those receiving federal assistance are elderly, disabled, or veterans). A new bill in Tennessee says that kissing and holding hands are gateways to sexual activity. In spite of the dramatic failure in Florida, several states still want to drug test welfare recipients. One state (can't remember where) want to drug test child support recipients--not those who owe it! Scott Walker continues to slither away the rights and protections of the people of Wisconsin.

I could go on and on, but I'd have to bathe again.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    But it's not just the election cycle. It's EVERYTHING. In Arizona now life has been re-defined as PRE-conception. PRE-conception. Allen West is McCarthying. The fact that Mitt Romney (and his wife) actually addressed the NRA meeting today offends me to the core. I mean, what kind of a person would accept an invitation from the NRA to speak? Pat Robertson has reiterated again that women should be "subservient" to men. Chris Christie thinks every getting assistance is sitting on their butts at home waiting for a check (91% of those receiving federal assistance are elderly, disabled, or veterans). A new bill in Tennessee says that kissing and holding hands are gateways to sexual activity. In spite of the dramatic failure in Florida, several states still want to drug test welfare recipients. One state (can't remember where) want to drug test child support recipients--not those who owe it! Scott Walker continues to slither away the rights and protections of the people of Wisconsin.

I could go on and on, but I'd have to bathe again.
    Oh God. That just depressed the hell out of me.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Oh God. That just depressed the hell out of me.
    It gets worse. I just read about a part of the new Arizona law that prohibits malpractice lawsuits against doctors/pediatricians who withhold medical information from a pregnant woman that might lead her to seek an abortion. So if she gives birth to a child with serious abnormalities, she, not the provider who withheld diagnostic information, could be financially ruined by the child's medical expenses. Even if it dies a horrible, painful, and expensive death.

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    I stopped paying attention a month or so ago, it seems to be below my intellectual and maturity needs.
    I understand. But (I can't remember who said it):
    The price you pay for not getting involved in politics is being ruled by your inferiors.
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    It gets worse. I just read about a part of the new Arizona law that prohibits malpractice lawsuits against doctors/pediatricians who withhold medical information from a pregnant woman that might lead her to seek an abortion. So if she gives birth to a child with serious abnormalities, she, not the provider who withheld diagnostic information, could be financially ruined by the child's medical expenses. Even if it dies a horrible, painful, and expensive death.
    Yeah, the state is condoning a doctor lying to his/her patient if that lie could result in the reversal of an abortion decision.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I guess I'll put this here, though it would fit in many threads. An Al Qaeda analysis of U.S. news outlets as avenues for good propoganda.

The channels from the standpoint of professionalism and neutrality. It is all as the Shaykh has stated (close to professionalism and neutrality) it has not and will not reach the perfect professionalism and neutrality, only if God wants that.
    From the professional point of view, they are all on one levelexcept (Fox News) channel which falls into the abyss as you know, and lacks neutrality too.
    As for the neutrality of CNN in English, it seems to be in cooperation with the government more than the others (except Fox News of course). Its Arabic version brings good and detailed reports about al-Sahab releases, with a lot of quotations from the original text. That means they copy directly from the releases or its gist. It is not like what other channels and sites do, copying from news agencies like Reuters, AP and others.
    I used to think that MSNBC channel may be good and neutral a bit, but is has lately fired two of the most famous journalists –Keith Olberman and Octavia Nasser the Lebanese – because they released some statements that were open for argument (The Lebanese had praised a Shia Imam Muhammad Husayn Fadlallah after his death and called him “One of the marvels of Hizballah” it seems she is a Shia.)
    CBS channel was mentioned by the Shaykh, I see that it is like the other channels, but it has a famous program (60 Minutes) that has some popularity and a good reputation for its long broadcasting time. Only God knows the reality, as I am not really in a position to do so.
    ABC channel is all right; actually it could be one of the best channels, as far as we are concerned. It is interested in al-Qa’ida issues, particularly the journalist Brian Ross, who is specialized in terrorism. The channel is still proud for its interview with the Shaykh. It also broadcasted excerpts from a speech of mine on the fourth anniversary, it also published most of that text on its site on the internet.

In conclusion, we can say that there is no single channel that we could rely on for our messages. I may ignore them, and even the channel that broadcast them, probably it would distort them somehow. This is accomplished by bringing analysts and experts that would interpret its meaning in the way they want it to be. Or they may ignore the message and conduct a smearing of the individuals, to the end of the list of what you know about their cunning methods.
    ….
    In general, and no matter what material we send, I suggest that we should distribute it to more than one channel, so that there will be healthy competition between the channels in broadcasting the material, so that no other channel takes the lead. It should be sent for example to ABC, CBS, NBC, and CNN and maybe PBS and VOA. As for Fox News, let her die in her anger.

Full story at: http://www.politicususa.com/al-qaida-fox-news.html

Congress Revolts On Obama Plan That Would Ban 'Buy American'
    Posted: 05/ 3/2012 4:18 pm Updated: 05/ 3/2012 11:29 pm

WASHINGTON -- A group of 68 House Democrats and one Republican sent a letter to President Barack Obama on Thursday urging him to reconsider an element of the controversial free trade agreement currently being negotiated by the administration. If approved in its current form, the pact would effectively ban "Buy American" policies in government contracting.

Although the deal, known as the Trans-Pacific Partnership, has received relatively little media attention in the United States, it has sparked international friction among consumer groups and environmental activists who worry that terms demanded by the Obama administration will eliminate important public protections. Domestically, however, the deal's primary source of political tension is from a portion that could ban "Buy American" provisions -- a restriction that opponents emphasize would crimp U.S. jobs.

Since the 1930s, the American government has offered preferential treatment to American producers in the awarding of federal contracts. If a domestic producer offers the government a more expensive bid than a foreign producer, it can still be awarded the contract under certain circumstances, but more recent free trade agreements have granted other nations the same negotiating status as domestic firms. The Obama administration is currently pushing to grant the several nations involved in the Trans-Pacific deal the same privileged status, according to the Thursday letter.

"We do not believe this approach is in the best interests of U.S. manufacturers and U.S. workers," the letter reads. "Of special concern is the prospect that firms established in TPP countries, such as the many Chinese firms in Vietnam, could obtain waivers from Buy American policies. This could result in large sums of U.S. tax dollars being invested to strengthen other countries' manufacturing sectors, rather than our own."

The letter from members of Congress to the administration marks a rare glimpse inside the typically secretive trade negotiation process. The terms of the free trade negotiations, including the Trans-Pacific pact, are withheld from the public, even though the governments of all the countries involved have access to them. Many major U.S. corporations have access to the draft negotiation texts through their positions on advisory boards to the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the White House agency which negotiates trade deals.

"Buy American" provisions do not help all U.S. firms equally. Corporations headquartered in the U.S. that offshore most of their manufacturing operations do not benefit from the system designed to promote domestic production in the way that companies with actual U.S. manufacturing operations do.

Public interest groups also worry that the same trade policies that could ban Buy American breaks will also prevent the U.S. government from making environmental or public health stipulations in federal contracts. The current language barring preferential treatment for American goods is so broad as to limit government specifications on goods to purely functional aspects. When contracting for paper, for instance, the government could specify that it wants to buy paper of the dimensions 8.5" by 11" -- but it could not require that the paper be composed of recycled materials or use non-toxic dye.

The potential "Buy American" ban also conflicts with a top theme of Obama's re-election campaign -- boosting U.S. manufacturing. In February, the administration proposed fixing a tax loophole that has been exploited by oil and gas companies in order to provide breaks to domestic manufacturers. The tax proposal is not expected to gain any traction during an election year, however, although prospects for the trade agreement are much stronger. Last year, Congress approved three free trade deals initially negotiated by President George W. Bush that Obama had decided to support.

The White House was not immediately available for comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D157905
    Me and Flavia Pennetta, we got a thing going on

The grass master

Page 79 of 194 FirstFirst ... 29546975767778798081828389104129179 ... LastLast