Agree Agree:  2,437
Likes Likes:  2,635
Page 5 of 829 FirstFirst 123456789153055105255 ... LastLast

Re: Politics Random Random

That is so obviously photoshopped. I'm sure if he works out he's got some definition but really?

Once again the Republicans want to push style over substance. Of course the current occupant of the White House is quite fit but wants to be known for what's between his ears instead of his abs. Part of the reason a certain segment of the population abhors him.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    That is so obviously photoshopped. I'm sure if he works out he's got some definition but really?
    It's probably Andy Roddick.

Still, I can't believe they missed the opportunity for a "Schock and Awe" headline.

Not that this is false, but I just lol'd at such a shrewd and cynical headline.

Obama tackles immigration reform to woo Hispanics for 2012

By Aamer Madhani
    National Journal

President Obama will travel to the U.S.-Mexico border on Tuesday to lay out a blueprint for comprehensive immigration reform and attempt to restart the debate on an issue he spoke passionately about as a candidate but has made little headway on during his presidency.

In a speech in El Paso, Texas, Obama will make the case that his administration has made significant progress on border security over the last two years, answering comprehensive reform opponents' preliminary objections to tackling reform legislatively.

The Obama administration has doubled the number of patrol agents along the border and deported nearly 400,000 illegal immigrants last year — facts that the president will argue underscore that the conditions are right for a serious debate on overhauling the nation's immigration policy, administration officials said. The president will also argue that current immigration laws are keeping innovative thinkers and skilled workers from contributing to the U.S. economy.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclus...anics-for-2012
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

House Republicans say they have no plans to follow the Senate in passing a resolution honoring the military mission that killed Osama bin Laden.

The decision by GOP leaders follows new rules they enacted in January scrapping the tradition of congratulatory measures, which they complained clogged up the House floor.

The Senate on Tuesday passed a resolution, 97-0, commending “the men and women of the United States Armed Forces and the United States intelligence community for the tremendous commitment, perseverance, professionalism and sacrifice they displayed in bringing Osama bin Laden to justice.” The measure commended President Obama and reaffirmed the Senate’s commitment “to disrupting, dismantling and defeating al Qaeda.” It also recognized former President George W. Bush’s efforts after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.
    The lack of House action drew criticism from some Democrats, who said an exception to the new rules was more than warranted for the killing of America’s No. 1 enemy.

“I don’t know why we’re not. Certainly we’ve passed a lot of resolutions for a lot less important things,” said Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.), whose district includes Ground Zero in lower Manhattan. “I think we ought to pass a resolution honoring the military and the president. How often do you get unadulterated, unabashed, absolute good news about something really important in this country, or any country?”

Nadler said he was unaware of the rules the GOP passed forbidding such measures.

“If they have, it’s silly,” he said. “Occasionally we ought to do it. Maybe we did it too often, but I don’t think you could argue that this occasion didn’t warrant it.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) earlier this week said she hoped that the House would move forward on a resolution.

But, Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.), whose district includes the Pentagon, said he didn’t have a problem with the GOP decision.

“That’s their call,” he said. “It doesn’t make a whole lot of difference whether we vote for a resolution or not. I’m sure the military knows how supportive of them and how proud of them we all are.”

While GOP leadership aides said they had no plans to draft an honorary resolution, Majority Leader Eric Cantor’s (R-Va.) office said the House would expedite consideration of an intelligence authorization bill next week.

“We are extremely proud that our intelligence community tracked down Osama bin Laden and our troops sent him exactly where he needs to go,” Cantor spokeswoman Laena Fallon said. “In light of that, we will take substantive action by bringing the intelligence authorization bill to the floor next week.”

On Monday evening, the House approved measures naming a Texas courthouse for the two Presidents Bush and a post office for a U.S. soldier slain in Iraq. Fallon said the GOP rules scaled back but did not forbid the naming of post offices and federal buildings because establishing them is a constitutional duty. Under its new protocol, the House acts on those designations only one day a month.

The rules, which the House approved on a party-line vote in January, prohibit the consideration of any measure that “expresses appreciation, commends, congratulates, celebrates, recognizes the accomplishments of, or celebrates the anniversary of, an entity, event, group, individual, institution, team or government program; or acknowledges or recognizes a period of time for such purposes.”

Republicans had previously said the practice of officially congratulating sports teams and designating days, weeks and months for the awareness of various issues had gotten out of hand.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/15...h-a-resolution
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I agree that the practice had probably gotten a little out of hand. Is there a National Corn Cob Day?

But I also think an exception could be made in this instance.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

I spent much of the day in the waiting room of a hospital where Fox News was playing on a flat screen. I tried my best to read but I kept getting sucked in from bits and pieces I picked up out of the corner of my ear. An hour longer and I myself might have needed to be admitted for high blood pressure.
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    I spent much of the day in the waiting room of a hospital where Fox News was playing on a flat screen. I tried my best to read but I kept getting sucked in from bits and pieces I picked up out of the corner of my ear. An hour longer and I myself might have needed to be admitted for high blood pressure.
    You're a better man than I am. I would've insisted they turn the volume all the way down, turn off the TV altogether, or, at the very least, switch it to Dora the Explorer.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

A good friend of mine, whom I've known for about 20 years, is a screaming tea-party, birther.

She's also a FB friend. And sometimes she posts these whacky ideas and or links to whacky ideas and it's all I can do to keep my trap shut. (Case in point, a YouTube video showing that the President's long-form birth certificate is fake.)

I want to grab her and shake her... maybe slap her a few times... and insist that she wake the hell up!!

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I agree that the practice had probably gotten a little out of hand. Is there a National Corn Cob Day?

But I also think an exception could be made in this instance.
    I don't particularly care whether they do this or not, but I am signed up to get daily updates from Congress and you'd be surprised (or at least I was) at how much of it is the naming of a Post Office branch and other ceremonial stuff. I don't see why adding this on would necessarily slow things down. They spend a lot of time passing a bunch of bills that will never get through the Senate. So, if people use the time to grandstand on this instead of on repealing the jobs-killing healthcare reform act, it's not really a great loss.
    Last edited by jadesa; 05-10-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    I don't particularly care whether they do this or not, but I am signed up to get daily updates from Congress and you'd be surprised (or at least I was) at how much of it is the naming of a Post Office branch and other ceremonial stuff. I don't see why adding this on would necessarily slow things down. They spend a lot of time passing a bunch of bills that will never get through the Senate. So, if people use the time to grandstand on this instead of on repealing the jobs-killing healthcare reform act, it's not really a great loss.
    You always make really good statements. This is no exception.

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    It's probably Andy Roddick.

Still, I can't believe they missed the opportunity for a "Schock and Awe" headline.
    Ah yes, thank you for reminding me of the Roddick cover.

Also, now that you mention it, I am super surprised that "Schock and Awe" wasn't the headline! (Maybe it was in the article somewhere.)
    I'll miss you!

When you learn to lie from the best, I guess soon enough you become a natural at it.

"I wouldn't get plastic surgery unless I got in an accident or something terrible and got disfigured" -Bristol Palin

So Bristol, please explain the nose, the raised eyebrows and the new chin.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    When you learn to lie from the best, I guess soon enough you become a natural at it.

"I wouldn't get plastic surgery unless I got in an accident or something terrible and got disfigured" -Bristol Palin

So Bristol, please explain the nose, the raised eyebrows and the new chin.

It actually fits her M.O. She was pro-abstinence after she got pregnant. Her momma raised her right; do as I say not as I do.

Mrs. O getting flack for inviting Serena's beau to the WH poetry series. Notice the incongruity of the two parts I've bolded.

Per usual the comments that accompany the article are atrocious. I wish that online media outlets would do away with this feature altogether.

Common Craze at The White House

Hip-hop artist Common's invite to participate in the White House poetry series created quite a stir yesterday. Some conservative media outlets questioned how appropriate it was for the First Lady to invite a rap artist who curses and talks trash about the political establishment in his music. Shocking.

Lost in the madness, however, were the names of the other participating poets. Rita Dove, the second African American to win a Pulitzer for poetry will be there. Elizabeth Alexander who recited her original poem 'Praise Song For The Day' at President Obama's inauguration, has been invited for the series as well. Jill Scott, the renowned R&B singer, is also attending. Scott began her career as a spoken-word artist in Philadelphia and published a compilation of her poems in 2005 called 'The Moments, The Minutes, The Hours.'

But surprisingly, of all the participants invited, Common drummed up the most controversy. Fox News called attention to his lyrical content on their website yesterday with this headline: 'Michelle Obama Hosting Vile Rapper At White House.'

The news outlet posted a video of Common's appearance on HBO's 'Def Poetry Jam' performing a poem titled 'A Letter To The Law,' and noted that his work is "quite controversial, in part because his poetry includes threats to shoot police."

The lines in question include: "Tell the law, my uzi weighs a ton/ I walk like a warrior from them I won't run..." And later he adds, "I got the black strap to make the cops run/ they watching me, I'm watching them..."

Though Common takes a black militant stance in the poem, it's just not accurate to characterize him as a dangerous, gangsta rapper. The guy has appeared in various rom-coms like 'Just Wright' and TV shows such as 'Girlfriends,' and typically raps about black empowerment, community, family, love and his share of good-natured sex. In fact, as the Nation points out, if the neo-cons really wanted to get picky, a closer examination of Common's lyrics reveals that he could just as easily be a poster boy for pro-lifers. On his song 'Retrospect for Life' with Lauryn Hill, Common questions abortion. He raps: "Knowing you the best part of life, do I have the right to take yours?"

White House press secretary Jay Carney added some much needed clarity to the debate when he told ABC News that critics would be better served to look at the rapper's entire body of work and how he's generally regarded in his public life.

"While the president doesn't support the kind of lyrics that have been raised here," Carney said, "some of these reports distort what Mr. Lynn stands for more broadly," referring to Common by his given name, Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr. "Within that genre of hip hop and rap he is known as...a conscious rapper."

Carney cited a 2010 FoxNews.com interview with Common in which the reporter told the hip hop performer, "your music is very positive and you are known as the conscious rapper – how important is that to you and how important do you think that is to our kids?"
    http://www.bvnewswire.com/2011/05/11...il#commentForm
    Blue Steel

That pic, photoshopped as it is, is sure to do a lot to dispel those gay rumors.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Page 5 of 829 FirstFirst 123456789153055105255 ... LastLast