Agree Agree:  2,437
Likes Likes:  2,635
Page 4 of 829 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast
    Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Re: Politics Random Random

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Is Michael Ignatieff really unpopular right now? I've always liked his writing, but I could see it being too pragmatic for people wanting a (modern) liberal platform on foreign policy and the like.
    He is (unpopular) in Canada! He doesn't connect well to voters. He lost his seat at least so I'm thinking it more likely he will resign.

Gilles Duseppe HAS resigned though (Bloc Quebecois leader.)
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

The conservatives gained a majority despite increasing their popular vote less than 2%. There were a lot of three way races where they won with the "left" split.

The NDP had their best night ever but have less power then ever due to the majority. And a lot of their gain is in Quebec...which they could easily lose next time, especially if there is a new soverignist party there, or Liberals return to respectability. It may be tough for the NDP to ever do this good again...although I'm hoping.

Green Party leader Elizabeth May was elected - first elected MP ever for them.

And like I said on facebook...the Conservatives may have 40% of the popular vote, but not on my facebook feed Almost 100% against in my list, with one or two comments in the grey area.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 05-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Hah!! They just read a brilliant email sent in to the CTV election coverage. ``The Conservative Party is like Nickelback; I don`t know anybody who likes them, but they always do well.``
    LOL

I was reading earlier that even though they lost big in the election, the Quebec separatists might actually gain momentum in the long run in response to the rest of Canada going conservative.
    Blue Steel

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

The current provincial Liberal government is quite unpopular, and is expected to lose the next election (don't know when that will be) to the separatist Parti Quebecois party. Those are really the only two significant provincial parties in Quebec (there was a third party that suddenly gained a lot of popularity about 5-8 years ago, and then went supernova in the last election), so a PQ win doesn't necessarily mean that people are voting for separatism. It all depends on whether they can find a way to stir up enough anti-Canada sentiment in the province. If the polls tell them that that's not the citizens' priority, they move that policy to the back shelf.

Canada has being doing really well lately so there is no reason to change the government. Is that not so? Besides as I understand Canadian conservatives are well left of Republicans in USA.
    Roger forever

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

The election was the opposition idea(mainly the Liberal party) even though all the poll in the weeks prior were in favor of the Conservative.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Canada has being doing really well lately so there is no reason to change the government. Is that not so? Besides as I understand Canadian conservatives are well left of Republicans in USA.
    Canadian conservatives are generally left of the Democrats in the USA also.

It was a minority government (as had been the previous two), so it was a bit unstable. In such a situation, all the parties are always looking to improve their standing (which is why we just had the fourth election in seven years). Usually, all the parties claim not to want to force another election (they blame the other parties for provoking it) but they're itching to roll the dice and try again. Two parties came up big winners; two got annihilated.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omess View Post
    The election was the opposition idea(mainly the Liberal party) even though all the poll in the weeks prior were in favor of the Conservative.
    Sorry, I'm so sick of the way this is stated. If I told someone they could choose a punch in the face or to dump a bowl of pudding over their head, and they chose the latter... was it REALLY "their idea"?

So the Conservatives bring forward an offensive budget, and the choices are to approve it or force an election... was it really the Liberals' "idea"?
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

So I'm listening to a debate about raising or not raising the debt ceiling. The chairman of the Memphis Tea Party is one of three guests on CNN participating in the discussion. A few of his comments made perfect sense to me. Plus, he didn't have lizard eyes. Could it be they're trying to put an intelligent face on their little political party?

The whole thing frightened me a little.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    So I'm listening to a debate about raising or not raising the debt ceiling. The chairman of the Memphis Tea Party is one of three guests on CNN participating in the discussion. A few of his comments made perfect sense to me. Plus, he didn't have lizard eyes. Could it be they're trying to put an intelligent face on their little political party?

The whole thing frightened me a little.
    Whatever happened to "speaking to your base"? I thought intelligence was elitist!
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Whatever happened to "speaking to your base"? I thought intelligence was elitist!
    He left the club and lion skin at home.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    He left the club and lion skin at home.
    Ba-zing! Love it.

Politicians are rarely pin-up material. But Illinois congressman Aaron Schock is no regular politician, as he proved on the cover of the latest Men's Health.The 29-year-old Republican, who is is the youngest Representative in the U.S. House of Congress, showed off an impressive six-pack as he posed with his shirt unbuttoned and hands on his hips.
    If he weren't 29, I would bet good money on him as the VP candidate in 2012 based on absolutely no other information than this article.

Good for Schock for his show and tell.

Page 4 of 829 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast