Agree Agree:  2,474
Likes Likes:  2,680
Page 3 of 837 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast

Re: Politics Random Random

This article kind of made me laugh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/201...ortance37265_1

Today is John Ensign's last day in the Senate after two years of sex scandal, and instead of slipping away quietly as the world is riveted by the news of Osama bin Laden's death, Ensign soldiered on with his speech apologizing for his own "self-importance." Speaking on the Senate floor, Ensign explained that when he slept with the wife of his best friend and top aide and then tried to cover it up with his parents giving the couple $96,000, he "was blind about how arrogant and self-centered I had become. ... My urge to believe in my own self-importance was stronger than the power to fight it," according to USA Today's Catalina Camia.

Ensign said he now knows he was wrong to judge scandal-plagued colleagues like Larry Craig (charged with cruising an airport bathroom) and Ted Stevens (accused of corruption). He had called on both senators to resign. "It was a hard lesson to learn," Ensign said Monday. "I hope I now show mercy to people who come into my life who truly need it." Federal prosecutors do not intend to charge Ensign with any wrongdoing, though they've indicted his former aide for violating ethics rules by becoming a lobbyist too soon after stopping his work for Congress. The Senate Ethics Committee is expected to complete its investigation into Ensign, however.
    One of his takeaways from this was that he was wrong to criticize Larry Craig and Ted Stevens for doing unethical things!?!

Can this guy just go away already?
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    This article kind of made me laugh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/atlantic/201...ortance37265_1

One of his takeaways from this was that he was wrong to criticize Larry Craig and Ted Stevens for doing unethical things!?!

Can this guy just go away already?
    From you post straight to FB. What a reminder how difficult it is to type and chuckle at the same time!

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Election night!

Unfortunately (by my political standards) it seems like usual the question isn't IF the conservatives will win again...but if they'll get a majority or a third straight minority...and who will be the opposition.

I took my daughters with me when I voted today and asked which party they would vote for - my two year old was torn between Blue (conservative) and Green (the most left-wing party of the four main nationwide parties.)
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 05-02-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Thanks for the medal Johanna!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Election night!

Unfortunately (by my political standards) it seems like usual the question isn't IF the conservatives will win again...but if they'll get a majority or a third straight minority...and who will be the opposition.

I took my daughters with me when I voted today and asked which party they would vote for - my two year old was torn between Blue (conservative) and Green (the most left-wing party of the four main nationwide parties.)
    I just think it's monstrously important that you took them with you. What a great example, pt.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

My three year old was very excited when our current Member of Parliament came to our house to ask for our vote (who I just found out won)...and they've both liked driving around the last few weeks looking at the colour of the political signs.

They just started announcing results now (they couldnt start until now due to polling going across the country.) Conservatives up 6% of the popular vote in Atlantic Canada (my little eastern corner of the country) and gaining seats...not a good start!

Actually...maybe our incumbent hasn't won...they just showed current results and the top 3 are all between 11000 and 10000.....very close race in my hood.
    Last edited by ptmcmahon; 05-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I just think it's monstrously important that you took them with you. What a great example, pt.
    Now if only I could get my wife to come with me

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Early "Score": Conservatives 40, Liberal 22, New Democrat 21, Bloc Quebecois 2

The Bloc are the soverignist Quebec party and run only in Quebec...and apparently are doing terrible so far. In Canada, each leader still has to run in their own riding and the Bloc's leader is rumored to be in big trouble so far.

The West of Canada is very conservative so looks like Stephen Harper is probably still going to be our prime minister. (boo!)

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Conservative government projected. They don't have enough for a majority yet but there are 63 ridings left to report - they need 22 of them and they previously held about 35 of them...looks like a majority is coming. New Democrats lead Liberal 84-29 so the race for 2nd looks pretty much wrapped up too.

The Liberal leader (who I think have elected the most PM's in our history) is in trouble in his own riding too.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ptmcmahon View Post
    Election night!

Outstanding, Papa.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

He he...I meant that comment to be more funny about my two year old being torn between the two most extreme parties

Conservative majority has been declared. The big thing now is if the Liberal leader wins his riding and if he resigns (I despise him almost as much as Harper so I hope so) and what happens to the Quebec party (and if his leader wins.)

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I am listening to Iggy's (hopefully) resignation now...
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Is Michael Ignatieff really unpopular right now? I've always liked his writing, but I could see it being too pragmatic for people wanting a (modern) liberal platform on foreign policy and the like.
    Blue Steel

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Is Michael Ignatieff really unpopular right now? I've always liked his writing, but I could see it being too pragmatic for people wanting a (modern) liberal platform on foreign policy and the like.
    Maybe his writing has some charisma?
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Hah!! They just read a brilliant email sent in to the CTV election coverage. ``The Conservative Party is like Nickelback; I don`t know anybody who likes them, but they always do well.``

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martini4me View Post
    Hah!! They just read a brilliant email sent in to the CTV election coverage. ``The Conservative Party is like Nickelback; I don`t know anybody who likes them, but they always do well.``
    LOL.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Page 3 of 837 FirstFirst 1234567132853103253 ... LastLast