Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 255 12345112651101251 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2012

Election 2012

I can't find this thread started elsewhere so here goes.

Nothing official yet, but it's safe to say, if Scott Walker runs for the GOP nomination, consider this his informal announcement.

Striking the right bargain in Wisconsin

Imagine the outrage if government workers did not have collective bargaining for wages and benefits. Consider the massive protests that would be staged by labor leaders all across the country.

Think Iím talking about Wisconsin? No, Iím talking about the federal government.

Contrary to what the Obama administration would lead you to believe, most employees of the federal government do not have collective bargaining for wages and benefits. That means the budget reform plan we signed into law in Wisconsin on Friday is more generous than what President Obama offers federal employees.

Our reform plan calls for a 5.8 percent pension contribution from government workers, including myself, and a 12.6 percent health insurance premium payment. Both are well below what middle-class, private-sector workers pay. Federal workers, however, pay an average of 28 percent of health insurance costs.

Itís enough to make you wonder why there are no protesters circling the White House.

My brother is a banquet manager and occasional bartender at a hotel. He pays nearly $800 a month for his familyís health insurance and can put away only a little bit toward his 401(k). He would love the plan Iím offering to public employees.

As my brother recognizes, our plan is a good deal for government workers when compared with what other middle-class workers are paying for benefits. It would be a great deal for federal workers.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...y.html?hpid=z5
    Merely coincidence that his column was published in the Washington Post within hours of this?

Poll: Wisconsin governor rising in Republican eyes

(Reuters) - Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, who signed sweeping curbs on public unions into law this month, may be emerging as a potential 2012 Republican presidential contender, according to a poll issued on Thursday.
    The phone survey by Public Policy Polling of 642 registered voters across the country on March 10-13 found that Walker's favorability among Republican voters was 55 percent positive and 11 percent negative, a spread of 44 points.

That pushed Walker ahead of other possible Republican contenders such as former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, who had a 42-point spread with 58 percent positive and 16 percent negative rating, and former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, who polled 63 percent positive and 23 percent negative, a spread of 40 points.

The poll showed former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney with a 21-point spread (47 percent positive, 26 percent negative) and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at 19 points (49 percent positive, 30 percent negative).

"None of the folks most seriously considering this race have been able to get any momentum yet, leaving a lot of room for a fresher face to enter and get a lot of traction," the polling group said. "Walker's crusade against the unions has put him in a position where he could be that guy."

A spokesman for Walker did not immediately return a request for comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72H0MR20110318

Re: ELECTION 2012

Funny how all the candidates mentioned in that article aren't current governors or senators.
    Go Pack Go!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: ELECTION 2012

I think she's a brilliant choice and is the type of person who can un-apatheticize the people who stand to lose the most in the next election. But I'm not sure how I feel about her running the DNC and representing her constituents on the Hill at the same time. That's A LOT of work. But if anyone can do it well, it's Debbie.

U.S. Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida is President Barack Obama’s choice to lead the Democratic National Committee.

Vice President Joe Biden informed DNC members of Obama’s selection in an e-mail today after the group’s current chairman, former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, announced he is running for the U.S. Senate. The DNC members must confirm the choice.

Wasserman Schultz, 44, was first elected to her House seat in 2004. Her heavily Democratic district includes much of Fort Lauderdale.

She formerly served in the Florida legislature. She made history as the youngest woman elected to state House when she won her seat at the age of 26. She is a breast cancer survivor who went public with her battle with the disease in 2009 to help promote the benefits of early diagnosis.

“In selecting Debbie to lead our party, President Obama noted her tenacity, her strength, her fighting spirit, and her ability to overcome adversity,” Biden said in his e-mail. “President Obama expressed great admiration for her as a leader, and he was honored that she accepted this important challenge on behalf of the Democratic Party.”

Obama made his selection the day after he officially began his 2012 re-election bid by releasing a campaign video on his website and sending an e-mail to supporters.

‘Red to Blue’

Wasserman Schultz has party-organization experience, serving as co-chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee’s “red to blue” effort in the 2006 campaign, in which Democrats won control of the House from the Republicans. The program was designed to bolster prospects of Democratic candidates in Republican-held districts.

During the 2008 campaign, she worked with the DCCC’s incumbent-retention program. She was also part of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s leadership team in the chamber. Pelosi relinquished the speakership in early January after Republicans won the House majority in the 2010 elections.

Wasserman Schultz is among the House members closest to Representative Gabrielle Giffords, the Arizona Democrat wounded in the head during a shooting rampage while she was greeting constituents on Jan. 8 in Tucson. Jared Lee Loughner, 22, was arrested and charged in the attack that left six people dead.

Wasserman Schultz has visited Giffords regularly as she recovers. She was one of those in the hospital room when Giffords raised her left arm just days after the shooting. “It felt like a miracle,” Wasserman Schultz said at the time.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-correct-.html

Re: Election 2012

Yeah, I thought Ted Strickland was a shoe-in. And if they wanted a woman I would have expected Granholm. But I'm a big fan of DWS so I think it's a good choice. She knows how to talk on TV too.
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I really like Wasserman-Schultz. I think she'd be a good DNC Chair. She's smart, well-spoken, and has friends on the dark other side of the aisle. Although I've also had problems with public servants doing jobs other than the ones they were elected to do.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

BTW, Dry, your gal Donna Brazile will serve as the interim chair of the DNC for the time being:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/52646.html

http://twitter.com/donnabrazile
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    BTW, Dry, your gal Donna Brazile will serve as the interim chair of the DNC for the time being:

Nice.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

God, I wanna have her baby so badly.

I got no idea where to put this, but I guess it's related to the election. EW just tweeted that Glenn Beck is leaving Fox News. Rumor is he might have been canceled!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/06/gl...-news-program/
    Blue Steel

I got no idea where to put this, but I guess it's related to the election. EW just tweeted that Glenn Beck is leaving Fox News. Rumor is he might have been canceled!

Apparently ratings went down 40 percent this year? Damn.
    I didn't know that.

Judging from what I hear my neighbours talk about all the time, you'd think his show was the highest rated show ever.

Glad to hear about Donna Brazile's temporary position.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie181 View Post

Apparently ratings went down 40 percent this year? Damn.
    I didn't know that.

Judging from what I hear my neighbours talk about all the time, you'd think his show was the highest rated show ever.
    An organization called Color of Change is largely responsible for his show's demise. It spearheaded the campaign to get his advertisers to step down and more than 300 of them did in pretty short order. Not to mention the 285,000 people who spoke out "officially" against the man's rants.
    Last edited by craighickman; 04-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Both CNN and MSNBC (duh) reported the Beck cancellation. He'll still have radio to peddle his madness. Limbaugh's been poisoning the airwaves for decades. No reason Beck can't do the same.

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well that's the one bit of silver lining in all this budget bull sh!t that's being vomitted everywhere.
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

TATChat Moderator hurricanejeanne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just watched the Trump/Vierra clip. Is it just me or is he even more delisional than anyone who's a republican currently in office?
    There's a room where the light won't find you
    Holding hands while the walls come tumbling down
    When they do
    I'll be right behind you

Page 1 of 255 12345112651101251 ... LastLast