Page 95 of 255 FirstFirst ... 457085919293949596979899105120145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3816

Thread: Election 2012

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Election 2012

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    One of Grenell's pearls of Twitter wisdom (Twisdom?): "Rachel Maddow needs to take a breath and put on a necklace" - it's hard to say exactly what he means but it's just such a sexist-ly condescending and misogynistic remark. It's not that he made negative remarks about individual women. It's that he made some pretty misogynistic remarks about women. When I said he seemed kinda sexist, I really meant that he seemed kinda sexist, not that he doesn't agree with Hillary Clinton or had the temerity to criticize a woman.

I didn't think there's room for him in the Democratic Party in the way that I don't think there's room for John Boehner in the Democratic Party. They're Republicans for a reason. They believe in a different set of values and end-goals and whatnot. He doesn't really seem to agree, based on what I've learned about him, with any Democratic party principles besides, I presume, gay rights. I don't know what he or the Democratic party would want with each other? I don't think what I said contributed any toxicity
    No, not at all, munchin. I don't think you're capable of being toxic.

I think your point as to whether or not his ideology would actually fit within the Democratic party is valid. It's not a good match ideologically. I'm just saying that there's value in difference, and I'm not sure our national discourse does a good job of encouraging and tolerating difference.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by munchin View Post
    The problem with this, though, is that I'm not sure the Democratic party does have room for him. Most of his ideology is very much Republican and he seems like...well, kind of a sexist. I'm not sure if it would benefit the Dem. party to reach out to him.
    So when Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin a "c**t", does that mean there is not room for him in the Democratic party either?
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    So when Bill Maher calls Sarah Palin a "c**t", does that mean there is not room for him in the Democratic party either?
    A couple things: I was not saying that sexism doesn't exist among Democrats or liberals or progressives. I was arguing against Democrats making room in the Democratic party for someone who a) isn't a Democrat, like even a little bit and b) has a history of sexist remarks. AND Bill Maher isn't "in" the Democratic party in the same way that Richard Grenell is "in" the Republican party. Grenell is a lobbyist, a speechwriter, a campaigner, a mover and a shaker. He's not an entertainer like Maher or Limbaugh or Beck or Letterman who have a vested interest and financial stakes in being outrageous and offensive sometimes. There's a different standard. So no, I'd say there is no room for Bill Maher "in" the Democratic Party unless he cleans up his act a bit a la Al Franken, which I don't think he's really capable of or interested in. He's just so abrasive and it's just so central to his persona.
    Last edited by munchin; 05-04-2012 at 09:49 AM.
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still haven't forgiven him for the burka fashion show. And that was several years ago. AND, I hold his panelists on that show partially responsible as well for not calling him out on it--Andrew Sullivan, Wesley Clark, and Martina Navratilova. Though I suppose that would have been quite awkward.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I still haven't forgiven him for the burka fashion show. And that was several years ago. AND, I hold his panelists on that show partially responsible as well for not calling him out on it--Andrew Sullivan, Wesley Clark, and Martina Navratilova. Though I suppose that would have been quite awkward.
    Not if they had any cajones, it wouldn't be. Maybe if people started speaking up in the face of intolerance, rather than waiting days to talk about it, things would start getting a little more civil.

Not if they had any cajones, it wouldn't be. Maybe if people started speaking up in the face of intolerance, rather than waiting days to talk about it, things would start getting a little more civil.
    Cojones.
    Cajones are boxes or drawers.
    (Although there is a joke there with CAJONES, but I can't find it right now )
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

Maybe if people started speaking up in the face of intolerance, rather than waiting days to talk about it, things would start getting a little more civil.
    This.

36 year Senate veteran Richard Luger has lost his own party's primary to a Tea-party backed conservative.

Maybe next time, Luger should remember where he says he lives on his drivers license when asked.

36 year Senate veteran Richard Luger has lost his own party's primary to a Tea-party backed conservative.

Maybe next time, Luger should remember where he says he lives on his drivers license when asked.
    Someone on MSNBC this afternoon said the Tea Party candidate's basic pitch was Lugar is working with Democrats. Most of the work had to do with anti terrorism initiatives. They didn't mention anything about the license plate thing. What happened?
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Someone on MSNBC this afternoon said the Tea Party candidate's basic pitch was Lugar is working with Democrats. Most of the work had to do with anti terrorism initiatives. They didn't mention anything about the license plate thing. What happened?
    Lugar's lived in DC almost his entire career. The opponent made huge inroads campaigning on the facts that he was more interested in foreign policy than the meat and potato issues affecting the people who live in the state, and that he only spent a handful of days in Indiana in a year.

A reporter a few weeks ago asked Lugar what address was on his drivers license. Lugar didn't know. He was roasted over it.

I think the victory is more about the people of Indiana wanting someone they thought represented them, rather than Tea Party adherence. Still, looks like there is still a bit of residual incumbency dislike left over from 2010.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Honest question. What did Dick Lugar do to earn the distinction of being a moderate? I'm sure he earned it. I just don't remember the specifics.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Honest question. What did Dick Lugar do to earn the distinction of being a moderate? I'm sure he earned it. I just don't remember the specifics.
    He's actually a "new" moderate -- he worked with President Obama (*GASP!*).

There was a time when he would've been right-wing, but the tea-party has moved the GOP so far to the right that once right-wingers are now moderate.

::

I didn't have a problem with the Burka Fashion Show. I didn't think was particularly funny, as far as being a schtick is concerned (as most of his skits aren't). But it didn't upset me like it did a few of you.

No reason for adding that. I just wanted to say it.
    Hello, Grigor.

If there's any doubt that West Virginians don't particularly care for this President, last night should have made that clear. And this was the vote in his own party!

Keith Judd, Texas Inmate, Gets 40 Percent Of Votes Against Obama In West Virginia Democratic Primary
    By LAWRENCE MESSINA 05/08/12 11:16 PM ET

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Just how unpopular is President Barack Obama in some parts of the country? Enough that a man in prison in Texas is getting 4 out of 10 votes in West Virginia's Democratic presidential primary.

The inmate, Keith Judd, is serving time at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Texas for making threats at the University of New Mexico in 1999. With 83 percent of precincts reporting, Obama was receiving 60 percent of the vote to Judd's 40 percent.

For some West Virginia Democrats, simply running against Obama is enough to get Judd votes.

"I voted against Obama," said Ronnie Brown, a 43-year-old electrician from Cross Lanes who called himself a conservative Democrat. "I don't like him. He didn't carry the state before and I'm not going to let him carry it again."

When asked which presidential candidate he voted for, Brown said, "That guy out of Texas."

Judd was able to get on the state ballot by paying a $2,500 fee and filing a form known as a notarized certification of announcement, said Jake Glance, a spokesman for the Secretary of State's office.

Attracting at least 15 percent of the vote would normally qualify a candidate for a delegate to the Democratic National Convention. But state Democratic Party Executive Director Derek Scarbro said no one has filed to be a delegate for Judd. The state party also believes that Judd has failed to file paperwork required of presidential candidates, but officials continue to research the matter, Scarbro said.

Rest of story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D159060

Edit: BTW, this is Inmate #11593-051, who got 40% of the vote:

Last edited by Moose; 05-09-2012 at 07:07 AM.

The other side of the coin (and less advertised for political and economic reasons):

The U.S. economy is better off than it was in 2008, although you wouldn't know it from what you hear on television. It's a misperception that Dan Gross, co-host of The Daily Ticker and economics editor at Yahoo! Finance, aims to correct in his seventh book, "Better, Stronger, Faster."
    Gross argues that the nation has bounced back from a near-death experience. However, many aspects of the economy continue to drag — most notably housing and jobs. While the housing sector may have hit bottom, "the U.S. has a very long way to go to make up for the lost ground in the economy," says Gross....
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...135826095.html

I'm reading a book recommended by a poster of Huff Post called "Under The Banner of Heaven". It's a history of Mormonism.

I'm reading on my Kindle. For those who don't have one you can add the Kindle App to your computer. I think it works on Windows.

Well worth reading.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Page 95 of 255 FirstFirst ... 457085919293949596979899105120145195 ... LastLast