Page 90 of 255 FirstFirst ... 406580868788899091929394100115140190 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 3816

Thread: Election 2012

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Election 2012

Except what WAS a War ON Women (and anyone with two functioning brain cells knew who was really waging that war) is now a War Between and Among Women.

Professional women either claiming superiority to or understanding with stay-at-home-mothers (SAHMs), who in turn are claiming that they care more about their children than women who work outside the home or they haven't had much choice because that's what their husband decided was right for their home or those who have made tremendous financial sacrifices as a family because that was how they decided to raise their children, in the home, but no family vacations or extras for a really long time.

Ugly.
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Except what WAS a War ON Women (and anyone with two functioning brain cells knew who was really waging that war) is now a War Between and Among Women.

Professional women either claiming superiority to or understanding with stay-at-home-mothers (SAHMs), who in turn are claiming that they care more about their children than women who work outside the home or they haven't had much choice because that's what their husband decided was right for their home or those who have made tremendous financial sacrifices as a family because that was how they decided to raise their children, in the home, but no family vacations or extras for a really long time.

Ugly.
    Not tooting my own horn, much, but when Mary and I decided to have children, we decided that she wouldn't work any longer. We'd live on my salary so that she could stay at home and raise the twins. The girl's first Christmas tree was one that Mary cut out of a large sheet of cardboard. I can't tell you the number of times Mary and I ate one meal a day, but the twins never went without a thing. It was pretty tough (relatively) until Mary landed her first job at a storage facility, when the girls where 6, where she could work at home and bring some more money into the household.

::

After typing that I realized why I got pissed off. It was like people were equating Ann Romney's being a stay-at-home-mom with Mary's being a stay-at-home-mom. Yeah. Sorry. Not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Not tooting my own horn, much, but when Mary and I decided to have children, we decided that she wouldn't work any longer. We'd live on my salary so that she could stay at home and raise the twins. The girl's first Christmas tree was one that Mary cut out of a large sheet of cardboard. I can't tell you the number of times Mary and I ate one meal a day, but the twins never went without a thing. It was pretty tough (relatively) until Mary landed her first job at a storage facility, when the girls where 6, where she could work at home and bring some more money into the household.

After typing that I realized why I got pissed off. It was like people were equating Ann Romney's being a stay-at-home-mom with Mary's being a stay-at-home-mom. Yeah. Sorry. Not the same thing.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Chopper Challenge Champion, Base Jumping Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, no it's not. But things are never as simple as we want to make them. Or as simple as we want them to be. Or need them to be.

Now for my next post, which I think breaks things down pretty nicely... And to some degree changed my mind...
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I know there was an uproar over Hilary Rosen's "Ann Romney has never worked a day in her life," comment and Hilary was made to offer an apology on CNN today. You know what... Hilary was pretty much absolutely correct.

Everyone went after her for attacking stay at home moms... but she attacked a stay at home mom who had nannies and other household servants throughout the child-rearing times. I don't think she really meant to attack Mrs. Romney, and she didn't mean to imply that moms don't work. Quite the contrary, Ms. Rosen was attempting to elevate the hundreds of millions of other moms who have handled that most important of jobs without the resources of the Romney family.

Maybe Hilary didn't choose her words quite as well as she could have. Perhaps she should have said this (and let's face it, this is really what she meant):

"Compared to 99.9% of all other mothers in this country, Ann Romney has no idea what it's like to be a mom in this country. She's had nannies and maids and other paid help. She's never had to juggle taking care of her children, her home, and a 9 to 5 job to pay the mortgage, the electric bill, buy groceries and health insurance, etc. She has no idea what it's like to not be able to bring her sick child to a doctor, no idea what it's like to worry about affording groceries at the end of the month... really, she has no idea what it is like to be an average American mom, let alone a poor mom, a single mom, a mom with a special needs child and no way to get the help that child needs. That her husband, Mitt, thinks her insights into the concerns of American women is truly representative of them only further identifies how out of touch he and so many members of his party are these days."

And certainly Ann Romney has never heard the words, "Congratulations, you're pregnant," and wondered whether she could afford to have that child. If she had, and if she had shared this fear with her husband, then perhaps every woman out there wouldn't need to be afraid that he would allow his party to wage any kind of war on women.

It was a post on TCL, which you can find by searching around: https://www.facebook.com/TheChristianLeft

That last post by Dry is spot on. But it goes even further.
    Isn't that precisely the problem with the GOP? Their inability to project outside their bubble? Their conspicuous mind set that if they are FINE, everybody else is fine, and if you are not, it is because of your OWN fault?
    It cuts to their inner most belief; Herman Cain said it: "If you are not a millionaire, it is YOUR FAULT and nobody else's". They simply can't see that in real life, luck is a factor. They can't fathom they are fortunate (not brilliant or special), and one main command for a politician (for the government) is to help those that are not so much.
    That is the disconnection between Romney and the rest of the nation. He sees himself solipsistic-ally, and can not understand anybody that is not like him.
    And when the GOP elect him as candidate, they will prove they are like that too.
    50 ways to leave your (non) lover: "I hope you understand me when I say it was torture having met you"

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've seen a lot of web ads, but the one in the link below is possibly the best one I've ever seen. Though I worry it might backfire.

Democrats have taken to the web to satirize Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel, the Republican nominee for Senate against Democratic incumbent Sherrod Brown, and several of his top aides as the debate over Mandel's hiring practices continues.

The new three-a-half-minute web ad, obtained exclusively by The Huffington Post and shown below, has fake Facebook postings between Mandel and several of the aides currently embroiled in the debate over how Mandel hired top staffers in the treasurer's office. The Ohio Democratic Party is behind the web ad.

In the last week, it was reported that Mandel, 34, hired aides who were either tied to his political organization or personal friends. Mandel also reportedly dispatched one top aide to a beginner's course on the subject he was overseeing.

Democrats yesterday filed their seventh request for the resumes of 60 Mandel appointees.

"After campaigning furiously against cronyism during his last campaign and promising to change course, Josh Mandel broke his pledge to Ohioans and awarded top jobs and massive taxpayer funded raises to political cronies, many who lacked the basic qualifications to do their jobs," state Democratic Party spokesman Andrew Zucker said in a statement. "That Josh Mandel surrounded himself with political cronies after repeatedly slamming his predecessor for alleged cronyism is the clearest indication yet that he''s not doing his job on behalf of taxpayers and cannot be trusted."

The ad follows Facebook postings from Mandel and several aides, including general counsel Seth Metcalf, a college friend of Mandel's; Joe Aquilino, a campaign aide who spent 2011 as his debt management director; and Scott Guthrie, who was public affairs director in the treasurer's office for five weeks before returning to his post raising funds for Mandel's political organization. The satirical postings include Mandel offering jobs and raises to the group, and references to Mandel's skipping 14 months of meetings of the state Board of Deposit, which he chairs.

The video also includes comments from Mandel during the 2010 campaign, where he railed against what he called cronyism in the administration of former Treasurer Kevin Boyce (D).

Mandel's campaign spokesman, Travis Considine, declined to comment on the ad, referring the question to the treasurer's office spokesman for Mandel, Seth Unger. Unger was not available for immediate comment. Considine has routinely referred all questions on the hiring practices coverage to Unger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...l?ref=politics

I use MSNBC as white noise during the afternoon. At some point someone said that Romney would file a six month extension on his taxes and release them around October.
    I wish I could remember who it was who said it.

Mitt Romney's campaign announced at 5:16 p.m. Friday that the presumptive GOP nominee has filed an extension for his 2011 tax return.

"Sometime in the next six months, and prior to the election, Gov. Romney will file and release the 2011 return when there is sufficient information to provide an accurate return," wrote Romney spokeswoman Andrea Saul in an email to reporters. Six months from now would be Oct. 13, weeks before the election.

The Romneys estimate a total tax liability of $3,226,623 for 2011, according to Saul. They made payments of $3,434,411 in 2011. They made an estimated payment of $887,000 for 2012.

The Obamas and the Bidens released their 2011 tax returns earlier Friday.

Romney released his 2010 tax return in January after being criticized. The returns showed income of $21.7 million in 2010 and an effective tax rate of 13.9 percent, far lower than middle-class earners. The Romneys paid the lower rate because their income was entirely from investments, as opposed to wages. The Romneys have a net worth $190 million to $250 million.

The deadline to file the 2011 federal tax return is April 17.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1424785.html
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    I use MSNBC as white noise during the afternoon. At some point someone said that Romney would file a six month extension on his taxes and release them around October.
    I wish I could remember who it was who said it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1424785.html
    I think (I think) it was on Dylan Rattigan's show. I do the MSNBC = White Noise thing too (unless the Dodgers or a good tennis match are on) and I'm pretty sure that's who I heard it from.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Apparently the President and Vice President released their current tax returns just recently. In the President's it shows that he gave 20%+ of his income as charitable donations.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but that seems political to me.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Apparently the President and Vice President released their current tax returns just recently. In the President's it shows that he gave 20%+ of his income as charitable donations.

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but that seems political to me.
    That's what I thought, too, until it was reported that Biden's charitable donations constituted 1% of his income. I donated more to charity last year than the Vice President of the United States.

In a Wall Street Journal op-ed piece on Thursday, the veteran conservative journalist Fred Barnes offered Mitt Romney some advice for improving his campaign, including the sensible (and one might also say humane) suggestion that on immigration, the presumptive nominee “would be wise to move away from his harsh position in the primaries.”

Then Barnes included this fascinating sentence: “According to a Romney adviser, his private view of immigration isn’t as anti-immigrant as he often sounded.”

What exactly does that mean? Does it mean Romney said things that he doesn’t really believe? What are we supposed to make of a candidate who takes certain public positions to court one group of voters — and then tries to reassure an entirely different group of voters by leaking the fact that he doesn’t really believe what he said to win votes from the first group? How many other “private” positions does Romney hold that we don’t know about?

This is an important question because I think the Romney campaign will be engaged in a series of two-steps between now and Election Day. On the one hand, he needs to keep reassuring conservatives that he is really with them on a whole series of issues. But the whole premise that he was the most “electable” Republican rested on the unstated — was this “private,” too? — premise that he was the most “moderate” candidate in the field and could thus appeal beyond the conservative hard core. Romney wants the GOP base to think he’s a staunch conservative and swing voters to believe he’s a closet moderate. That’s why I suspect we’ll hear more hints about Romney’s “private” views on a lot of other matters.

Romney is not the first candidate to try to be all things to all people. But he has a special problem because he has taken a great many contradictory public positions over the years, depending upon whether he was trying to appeal to a general-election electorate in Massachusetts or a Republican primary electorate nationwide. Keep an eye out for more hints about Romney’s “private” views. At some point, he will have to reconcile what he says with what his aides hint at. And he will have to do this publicly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...z5ET_blog.html

Commentary on the "sacrifices" Ann Romney made to be a stay at home mom. It's from Daily Kos but she makes her points very well.

Ann Romney wishes to be respected for her choice. Fair enough. But the fastest way for her to earn respect for her choice is to make sure such a choice is not the province of her class alone, and that idea is in direct contrast to the policies that her husband Mitt espouses. So here's a simple message to Ann Romney:

If you care about making sure that parents can afford to stay home with their children, then you don't support Scott Walker's efforts to destroy the middle class. You don't support Paul Ryan's budget that destroys Medicare and Medicaid. You examine the fact that public education is becoming increasingly expensive, and you support efforts to fund it, rather than continue to watch it spiral out of control and ensure that it takes two incomes to afford any sort of higher education. You support student loan reform so that new graduates don't have to work their entire lives to pay off their debt. You don't "get rid of" Planned Parenthood, which provides vital medical services and helps ensure that women are able to raise healthy children to begin with. You don't let Detroit go bankrupt so that vulture capitalists like the one you married can sell off its scrap for investor profits. You don't accelerate foreclosures and kick children out of their homes so that those same investors can make more money from their rental fiefdoms. You do everything you can to ensure that health insurance is not tied to employment (to be fair, Mitt deserves some credit on this). You support the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act to ensure that women who do choose to stay home are guaranteed some sort of recourse against partners who turn bad, instead of being forced into a devil's choice of being stuck in a violent relationship or out on the streets. You support increases in the minimum wage so that those who do work don't have to work multiple jobs just to put food on the table. You strengthen social security and its associated death benefit so that widows (or widowers) who chose to stay home have something left to live on in the worst case, instead of privatizing it so that (stop me if this sounds familiar) investors like your husband can figure out how to make even more money off of a program that's doing just fine as it is. You support investing in America again through stimulus and public works so that both men and women have good-paying jobs and a much more livable transportation system. And most importantly, you support tax reforms that require the super-wealthy (like your husband) and the gigantic corporations they run to pay their fair share in taxes so that all of these other things can happen.

If you were serious, Ann, these are just some of the things that you'd do. Otherwise, you're just another spoiled Republican telling people that as long as you can do what you want, then everyone else can go to hell.
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...de?detail=hide

A Romney aide is rewriting history — his own.

Richard Grenell, a former Bush official, removed hundreds of Tweets and comments from his online profile this weekend after reporters zeroed in on his penchant for snarky comments about women in politics.

“Hillary is starting to look liek (sic) Madeline Albright,” Grenell wrote on his Twitter page, comparing current Secretary of State Hillary Clinton to the the first female secretary of state, who served under Bill Clinton.

Grenell was tapped Thursday as a foreign policy spokesman for presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney.

His knowledge of foreign affairs became irrelevant as reporters immediately began going through his Twitter comments and flagged some of his less chivalrous jibes.

In a swipe at First Lady Michelle Obama, an exercise buff who has led a national campaign against childhood obesity, he claimed she was “sweating on the East Room carpet” after working out.

Grenell also zeroed in on GOP nominee Newt Gingrich’s wife Callista, wondering whether her “hair snaps on.”

In a another tweet directed at Callista, Gingrich’s third wife, he said she “stands there like she is wife #1.”

Grenell apologized for the comments Friday afternoon, and said he would remove the offensive notations.

“My tweets were written to be tongue-in-cheek and humorous but I can now see how they can also be hurtful,” Grenell wrote Politico Friday after he was called on the carpet.

“I didn’t mean them that way and will remove them from twitter. I apologize for any hurt they caused,” Grenell wrote.

Some 800 tweets were then scrubbed from Grenell’s accounts between Friday and Sunday, noted Huffington Post media reporter Michael Calderone.

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow, who Grenell said was a “dead ringer” for teenage heartthrob Justin Bieber, was not amused by the comments, nor appeased by his apology.

On Friday’s show, she asked if Team Romney showed “any sign that they understand that a long string of really nasty, sexist tweets about Callista Gingrich’s appearance might be alienating to people who might otherwise consider voting for Mr. Romney,” the Huffington Post reported.

The flap over the tweets followed some conservative backlash on his selection since Grenell is openly gay.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...#ixzz1ssoCmfEw

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Well, that settles it. I can never run for office or be a senior official on a national campaign.

Page 90 of 255 FirstFirst ... 406580868788899091929394100115140190 ... LastLast