Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2012

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Election 2012

Newt is just so sexy...I totally get it!

Quote Originally Posted by tennisbrp View Post
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post

(Reuters) - Real estate magnate Donald Trump suggested on Wednesday it's not much fun flirting with the idea of running for president in the face of relentless attacks and ridicule.

"Nobody said it was going to be easy, but I had no idea I would get hammered in the way I've been hammered the past few weeks," Trump said in Nashua, New Hampshire.

The billionaire host of NBC-TV's "Celebrity Apprentice" has hinted for months that he will run for the 2012 Republican nomination for a chance to take on President Barack Obama.

But Trump has slipped badly in surveys taken since Obama released his birth certificate confirming he was born in the United States.

The so-called "birther" issue had been a major issue of Trump's nascent campaign.

Public Policy Polling, which in April showed Trump leading the Republican field with 26 percent support, this week showed him with just 8 percent support.

Still, 700 businesspeople turned out for a sold-out Nashua Chamber of Commerce event. Trump delivered a speech heavy on his post-birther themes: high gas prices, Obama's healthcare reforms, and U.S. dealings with China and OPEC.

"If Obama gets re-elected, I think your taxes are going to go through the roof," Trump warned.

Still no word on whether a White House bid is for real, especially now that The Donald's political star is dimming.

"I'm thinking about running," he said.

Trump referred to the September 30 White House Correspondents' Association dinner in Washington, during which Obama and comedian Seth Myers mocked the tycoon mercilessly while Trump sat in the audience, stone-faced.

Even Republicans have been taking shots, he noted.

"I haven't done anything, in all fairness," he said. "I haven't even announced whether or not I'm running."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7495V920110511
    It's always someone else's fault. Never their's. Whhhaaaaaaa.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tennisbrp View Post
    That reminds me of a Golden Girls episode where Blanche is imagining Richard Nixon naked... Something about there being little mounds of plastic to indicate where things ought to be... I imagine she'd say the same thing about Newt.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

It's kind of hilarious that someone who built a political campaign based of a personal smear against the legitimacy and intelligence of the president is "shocked" by how political headliners like those in or trying to reach the presidency get viciously attacked.
    I disapprove of this message

After the puzzling talk about NJ Gov. Christie on Bill Maher last night I'm glad to know my perception of him isn't mine alone.

For all that the weak GOP field (led by a self-destructing Mitt Romney) is pushing talk of a Chris Christie national run, the Jersey bully has lost the confidence of his home state. Two polls in April (here and here) noted Christie was treading water. SUSA polling this week confirms that Christie is not exactly beloved back home.

New Jersey Republican Governor Chris Christie, beloved by some and despised by others for his bluntness, has a Minus 18 job approval today as speculation continues about whether Christie should run for President. 38% of NJ adults approve of the job Christie is doing, 56% disapprove.
    According to this latest Eyewitness News Poll conducted by SurveyUSA exclusively for WABC-TV in New York City, NJ voters by 5:1 say Christie should not run for President.

• By 2:1, NJ voters say Christie would be a worse president than Barack Obama.
    • Obama carried NJ in 2008 by 15 points. Obama's approval rating in NJ today is Plus 14 (54% approve, 40% disapprove).
    • Voters split evenly on whether Christie would be better president than George W. Bush.
    Once the media has decided on a narrative, damn the facts and just keep repeating the myth. It's just so much easier and less work that way. "Republican presidential hopefuls meet with popular N.J. Gov. Chris Christie" says the headline from March 23 despite the same site having this headline — Gov. Christie's poll numbers drop after N.J. budget address — on March 8.

Here's the NY Times yesterday in a story about the Democratic Governor of CT, Dannel Malloy, balancing his budget the fiscally responsible way:

And while the confrontational approach has made Governor Christie of New Jersey a hot property, there is no early indication that what Mr. Malloy calls “shared sacrifice” is working as well for him. A Quinnipiac University poll in March put his approval rating at 35 percent.
    And the difference between 35 (Malloy) and 38 (Christie) is what? That Malloy's a Democrat? Now, these are single polls and neither means much of anything - except when it comes to setting narrative, which the Times is happy to do, facts be damned.

It's not just the NY Times, of course. A local NBC affiliate has this from Friday:

Many are vying for an endorsement from the popular freshman governor, who quickly rose to the national spotlight after challenging public unions in the blue state last year.
    Speaking of a weak field, this Mitch Daniels story is from CBS Friday:

Reflecting what many observers see as weak Republican field, the pressure on Daniels to run has been intense. He has been assured backing from big-money donors who supported George W. Bush, in addition to former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, as well as top sitting Republican governors.

Sources tell CBS News popular New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has told Daniels he would back him, as would Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
    Popular? In what universe is 38/56 popular? The concept of Christie's "popularity" can't be because of the separate question of the presidential race (different than performance of Governor.) If the "popular" Christie ran against Obama, he'd be unlikely to carry his home state — the April Q-poll had Obama beating Christie 52-39 in NJ, and the SUSA poll has this:

The poll also asked if Christie is qualified to run, with 28 percent saying he is and 54 percent saying he's not.

The poll asked respondents to compare the governor to Obama and determine who would make a better chief executive. Of those polled, 29 percent said Christie would be better and 53 percent said Christie would be worse.

The poll also asked voters to compare the governor to former President George W. Bush. Of those polled, 35 percent said Christie would be a better president than Bush and 30 percent said he would be worse.
    If what you mean is "more popular than George W. Bush," just say so. Speaking of Bush, this is all reminiscent of the media's insistence that Bush was "popular" way beyond the time he actually was — and we all know how that turned out.

Chris Christie isn't popular, and he isn't going to save the GOP from Mitt Romney. Media, get used to both facts. In the meantime, you need a new narrative.

Embedded links at the source:
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/0...ey?detail=hide
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

I read a big piece on Christie in the NYT probably 3-4 months ago. The jist was: he's an amazing public speaker, but when you actually break down the things that he says, and fact check them, he's mostly just full of BS. Goes to show how far you can get on personality alone (I would put 2007-2008 Sen. Obama in the same category - not much of a record but he managed to connect with large audiences better than anyone).
    Blue Steel

perfect things

looks like perfect things !

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: perfect things

Quote Originally Posted by RyanChur View Post
    Do you mean the speed at which we banned your ass before you could start posting spam?

Get a real job.

Freak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Do you mean the speed at which we banned your ass before you could start posting spam?

Get a real job.

Freak.

Well done kirkus

But it's a bit of an entertainment, isn't it?
    Roger forever

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Well done kirkus

But it's a bit of an entertainment, isn't it?
    You mean for us?

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm the only one who takes a bow after banning someone. We've been getting several a day for quite a while now that never reach the "Post" button. Other staff usually nab them before they can say boo. But they aren't as needy for attention like I am.

Also, a lot of the spammers get reported by you guys, which is a huge help.

You mean for us?

I'm the only one who takes a bow after banning someone. We've been getting several a day for quite a while now that never reach the "Post" button. Other staff usually nab them before they can say boo. But they aren't as needy for attention like I am.

Also, a lot of the spammers get reported by you guys, which is a huge help.
    How do you know they are spammers before they reveal themselves?

I remember few years ago there were many and then I assume you found some technological solution against them. I guess they have become more sophisticated or more real perhaps...
    Roger forever

Quote Originally Posted by RyanChur View Post

Get a real job.

Freak.

this is great thanks...

How do you know they are spammers before they reveal themselves?

Papa Kirk always follows up when someone makes a new account.

I'm guessing the IP address or email or something might be recognizable.

Page 5 of 255 FirstFirst 123456789153055105 ... LastLast