Page 4 of 255 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2012

Re: Election 2012

Blaming Bush for all the ills of the country four years after his last day in office will not work.
    The grass master

NEW YORK -- NBC was not responding to a challenge by talk-show host Lawrence O'Donnell to disclose whether Donald Trump will return next fall with "The Celebrity Apprentice."

"NBC has created a monster and it is called Donald Trump," O'Donnell said in a blistering 15-minute rant on Wednesday's edition of his show, "The Last Word," which airs on MSNBC, a sister network of NBC.
    "NBC can no longer stand idly by, not for one more day," he said.

If a deal is in place for another "Apprentice" season, Trump's attention-grabbing flirtation with a presidential bid is nothing more than a publicity stunt, O'Donnell declared.

"If Donald Trump has committed to do ('Celebrity Apprentice'), he is obviously not running for president," O'Donnell said, "and all of this, every bit of it, is as fake as Donald's reality show."

NBC, which will formally announce its 2011-12 season schedule on May 16, must already know if more "Celebrity Apprentice" is in the cards, O'Donnell said. He insisted that NBC settle the question right away and avoid being part of what he called Trump's "campaign to legitimize hatred and racism."

NBC declined to comment Thursday.
    "I wouldn't dignify Lawrence O'Donnell's ridiculous statements by even providing a response," said Michael Cohen, an executive with the Trump Organization and a Trump spokesman.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_855200.html
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    Blaming Bush for all the ills of the country four years after his last day in office will not work.
    No, but it's fun!
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Scrub King
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think it could work if the Democrats play Bush's name in the right way. The fact that there are very few legitimate Republican candidates at the moment means that Obama's re-election is looking like a greater possibility and I don't think the American people are going to want to elect someone to a second term with the thought that he's just thrown the country further and further into debt. People could look to Bush as a reason for the country's problems just to keep themselves happier with a second term for Obama. Plus I do think that Bush's plan of cutting taxes while simultaneously deploying military operations wasn't the greatest of plans if he and the Republican party are going to try to pass off the blame for the country's current state onto Obama.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Says you.
    Hello, Grigor.

Slightly Less of a Loser
    Awards Showcase

Oh guys and gals, you got the year wrong...our election is next week.

Oh you didn't mean for Canada?

But saying that Bush-era tax cuts are one of the biggest reasons for the deficit isn't blaming all the ills of the country on Bush.

Current elected Republicans call them the "Bush tax cuts" and the most powerful among them held out, holding unemployment insurance benefits hostage, until the Bush-era tax cuts were extended for the next two years is a simple fact.

Quote Originally Posted by TennisBen21 View Post
    I think it could work if the Democrats play Bush's name in the right way. The fact that there are very few legitimate Republican candidates at the moment means that Obama's re-election is looking like a greater possibility and I don't think the American people are going to want to elect someone to a second term with the thought that he's just thrown the country further and further into debt. People could look to Bush as a reason for the country's problems just to keep themselves happier with a second term for Obama. Plus I do think that Bush's plan of cutting taxes while simultaneously deploying military operations wasn't the greatest of plans if he and the Republican party are going to try to pass off the blame for the country's current state onto Obama.
    Isn't presidential reelection rate something like 80%? However with an economy like today Republicans have a great chance to win as long as they can nominate someone who is not scary and has no major skeletons in the closet (so no Trump, Palin etc.). I doubt many (other than hard core democrats) will have Bush on their minds next November.

If Obama gets reelected next year it will be some combination of significant improvement of economy and Republicans being unable to nominate a sane alternative.

P.S. I might be right or I might be not, but I think it's easier for me to analyze the situation. Since I have no plans to live in the US again I can look at it as just a big game...
    Last edited by suliso; 04-29-2011 at 02:33 PM.
    The grass master

Scrub King
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Isn't presidential reelection rate something like 80%? However with an economy like today Republicans have a great chance to win as long as they can nominate someone who is not scary and has no major skeletons in the closet (so no Trump, Palin etc.). I doubt many (other than hard core democrats) will have Bush on their minds next November.

If Obama gets reelected next year it will be some combination of significant improvement of economy and Republicans being unable to nominate a sane alternative.

P.S. I might be right or I might be not, but I think it's easier for me to analyze the situation. Since I have no plans to live in the US again I can look at it as just a big game...
    For what it's worth I'm not even of legal voting age at this point so I'm not even supposed to have a side yet, but that's not the point. I do think the biggest problem for the Republicans, as of now, is that they don't have a really good candidate that won't scare the significant block of voters that are undecided (like Huckabee) or anger the strongly-right fan base because of some past policy that could be seen as opposite their agenda (like Romney). I honestly don't think Obama has handled what has been thrown his way as well as the country has wanted him to, but without an opposition that has mass appeal I think he'll be on his way to a second term.

I don't know how it will come out, but I've little doubt that no matter who else is on the ballot, what just happened with the President's birth certificate will have a bigger impact on the outcome of the election than we might imagine right now.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, National Treasure Pinball Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A sheep friend of mine on FB posted the following. Can someone explain to me what it means?

Stock Tip I called a stockbroker and asked him what I should be buying. He said, "If the current administration is in office much longer, canned goods and ammunition is your best bet."
    Gender should never be a death sentence. http://www.facebook.com/The.Worldwide.War.on.Girls. A civilized nation doesn't tolerate violence against women. http://www.facebook.com/TheSilenceStopsNow?ref=hl. Microlending harbors tremendous potential to improve the economic, social, political, and educational empowerment of women and children. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Globa...417742?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    A sheep friend of mine on FB posted the following. Can someone explain to me what it means?

Stock Tip I called a stockbroker and asked him what I should be buying. He said, "If the current administration is in office much longer, canned goods and ammunition is your best bet."

I'll take a guess. The government is coming for your and your guns so get ready to hole up and defend your rights as a Red Blooded American who knows what the Second Amendment means.

(Reuters) - Real estate magnate Donald Trump suggested on Wednesday it's not much fun flirting with the idea of running for president in the face of relentless attacks and ridicule.

"Nobody said it was going to be easy, but I had no idea I would get hammered in the way I've been hammered the past few weeks," Trump said in Nashua, New Hampshire.

The billionaire host of NBC-TV's "Celebrity Apprentice" has hinted for months that he will run for the 2012 Republican nomination for a chance to take on President Barack Obama.

But Trump has slipped badly in surveys taken since Obama released his birth certificate confirming he was born in the United States.

The so-called "birther" issue had been a major issue of Trump's nascent campaign.

Public Policy Polling, which in April showed Trump leading the Republican field with 26 percent support, this week showed him with just 8 percent support.

Still, 700 businesspeople turned out for a sold-out Nashua Chamber of Commerce event. Trump delivered a speech heavy on his post-birther themes: high gas prices, Obama's healthcare reforms, and U.S. dealings with China and OPEC.

"If Obama gets re-elected, I think your taxes are going to go through the roof," Trump warned.

Still no word on whether a White House bid is for real, especially now that The Donald's political star is dimming.

"I'm thinking about running," he said.

Trump referred to the September 30 White House Correspondents' Association dinner in Washington, during which Obama and comedian Seth Myers mocked the tycoon mercilessly while Trump sat in the audience, stone-faced.

Even Republicans have been taking shots, he noted.

"I haven't done anything, in all fairness," he said. "I haven't even announced whether or not I'm running."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7495V920110511
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Gingrich Set to Run, With Wife in Central Role

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

WASHINGTON — Callista Bisek’s friends from rural Wisconsin were stunned when, well over a decade ago, she confided that she was secretly dating an older, married man: Newt Gingrich.

Still in her 20s when they met, Ms. Bisek had been raised in a town of 1,500, the only child of a meat packer and a secretary. A churchgoing Roman Catholic, she had attended a Lutheran college where she practiced piano five hours a day. “Is this the wisest course for you to be taking?” Karen Olson, her best friend, recalled asking.

Today, Ms. Bisek is Mrs. Gingrich, married for 11 years, but perhaps best remembered for the six-year affair that contributed to her husband’s political downfall. His critics cast Mr. Gingrich, the former House speaker, as a hypocrite who sought to impeach a president over infidelity while engaging in it himself with Ms. Bisek, who was a Congressional aide.

Yet in a curious tale of Washington reinvention, the onetime congressman from Georgia is counting on the third Mrs. Gingrich for his political redemption.

As he prepares for a Republican presidential primary run — he said Monday that he would formally declare his intentions on Wednesday — Mr. Gingrich is presenting himself as a family man who has embraced Catholicism and found God, with his wife as a kind of character witness. Depending on one’s point of view, she is a reminder of his complicated past, or his secret political weapon.

Barely a sentence goes by without Mr. Gingrich uttering the words “Callista and I.” They are constantly together — at the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast in Washington, at conservative political conferences, at book signings and screenings of their documentary films. She is the voice on his audio books; her face is all over his 2012 Web site, where visitors can read “A Note from Newt & Callista.”

At Villanova University on a recent Thursday night, Mrs. Gingrich warmed up the audience for a showing of the couple’s movie about Pope John Paul II by signing books and DVDs in her left-handed curlicue. But when asked whether she is ready for the scrutiny a campaign would bring, she smiled tightly and grew silent.

Mr. Gingrich answered for her. “Seems to be,” he said, with uncharacteristic tentativeness. “We’ve talked about it for a year. It’s difficult.”

Mr. Gingrich is well aware that social conservatives are skeptical of him because he did not emphasize their issues in Congress, but also because of his two divorces and admission of infidelity. He has been meeting with religious leaders around the country to address their concerns.

Deal Hudson, president of Catholic Advocate, a conservative group, said that if Mrs. Gingrich “wants to be first lady,” she would probably have to discuss their relationship as well.

So far she has not. Both Gingriches declined to be interviewed for this article.

“They would say they wished they had met in a different time in their lives under different circumstances,” said Jackie Cottrell, a friend who worked with Mrs. Gingrich as a staff member on Capitol Hill. “But it’s important to note that they brought their family together in a loving way.”
    (...)
    Others say she wants her husband to run because he wants to. She has hired Ms. Olson as her chief of staff; she is also writing a children’s book, due out in September — just in time for her to go on a book tour and reintroduce herself to the public as the primary race heats up.
    (...)
    She and her husband work from adjoining offices in a building on K Street, Washington’s lobbying corridor, home to the sprawling enterprise that Gingrich aides call “Newt Inc.,” which produces books and films at a dizzying pace. Their efforts are planned around what Ms. Olson calls their “thematic — the message of what they stand for.”

Their new focus is American exceptionalism, the notion that the United States is unique and stands above other nations. Mrs. Gingrich’s children’s book is devoted to the topic; so is one by Mr. Gingrich, due out next month. It is also the theme of their newest documentary — no surprise given that many Republicans, including Mr. Gingrich, claim that President Obama rejects exceptionalism.

Mr. Gingrich will have to dismantle his busy operation for a presidential run, though aides say Gingrich Productions will survive, with his wife in charge. Looking ahead to the campaign, Gingrich intimates are already envisioning how Mrs. Gingrich, with her college ties to Iowa, might help her husband there.

The same friends who tried to talk her out of out of dating him more than a decade ago have concluded that she knew what she was doing, and are banking that voters will forgive and forget. Ms. Olson summed up their history in what might just become a campaign catchphrase.

“They’re a great couple,” she said, “that had a nontraditional start.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/us...%20wife&st=cse

The Republican double standard never ceases to amaze me.

Page 4 of 255 FirstFirst 12345678142954104254 ... LastLast