Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 255 FirstFirst 123456122752102252 ... LastLast

Thread: Election 2012

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Election 2012

Louie Gomert and Michele Bachman beat Donald Trump on the Delusional Scale. But he's definitely up there.

Unless he's crazy like a fox. The ratings for Celebrity Apprentice have been consistently improving since he started this "maybe I'll run for president - Obama was born in Kenya" crap.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Louie Gomert and Michele Bachman beat Donald Trump on the Delusional Scale. But he's definitely up there.

Unless he's crazy like a fox. The ratings for Celebrity Apprentice have been consistently improving since he started this "maybe I'll run for president - Obama was born in Kenya" crap.
    Don't forget that during past seasons of his show he's picked very public fights with Rosie O'Donnell, Barbara Walters, and Martha Stewart.

This is all about drumming up ratings for a floundering reality TV show. I really don't have any doubt about it.
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Don't forget that during past seasons of his show he's picked very public fights with Rosie O'Donnell, Barbara Walters, and Martha Stewart.

This is all about drumming up ratings for a floundering reality TV show. I really don't have any doubt about it.
    I agree 100%.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Trig Palin maternity/conspiracy theory has been revived by, of all media outlets, Business Insider.

Did Sarah Palin Carry Out the Biggest Hoax in American Political History?

Business Insider — An interesting footnote has emerged to a theory that raged around the Internet during Sarah Palin's candidacy for Vice President. The theory is that Sarah Palin is actually the grandmother of her purported son Trig, not the mother, and that she staged a gigantic hoax during the campaign to cover up this fact.

Professor Bradford Scharlott of Northern Kentucky University has looked into this story in detail and written a long academic article about it. He concludes two things: First, that the "conspiracy theory" is likely true—Sarah Palin staged a huge hoax, and, second, the American media is pathetic for not pursuing the story more aggressively.

Scharlott's article walks through all the evidence supporting the theory, including the photos of Palin in what is said to have been a late-stage pregnancy, the leisurely 20-hour trip home that Palin took after she supposedly went into labor in Texas, the refusal of the hospital where Trig was supposedly born to even confirm that he was born there (let alone who was the mother), strange statements from Palin's doctor and the McCain campaign, and so on.

And Scharlott concludes that, given that this hoax would be a massive fraud perpetrated on the entire country by a vice-presidential candidate, the media absolutely should have pursued the story more aggressively.

Full story with a detailed accounting of various events and photos of Palin when she was supposedly in the latter stages of pregnancy at http://gawker.com/#!5791915/did-sara...itical-history

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And in other news, during a talk radio interview in New York this morning, Donald Trump congratulated himself for his great relationship with "the blacks."

Well, except for those born in Hawaii. LOL!

http://www.salon.com/news/donald_tru...ump_the_blacks

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post

Perhaps more evidence supporting your notion. Actually, drop the "perhaps."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thetic...the-apprentice

This man is starting to make me sick to my stomach
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

"If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

Dry if we had a true "media" meaning reporters who, like a dog with a bone, won't drop a story until they get to the bottom of it the story would've been pursued since it's so easy in this case. With the "reporters" we have today the Pentagon Papers and Watergate would never have been brought to public attention.

I'm glad someone who isn't from a blue state did the research.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    The Trig Palin maternity/conspiracy theory has been revived by, of all media outlets, Business Insider.

Did Sarah Palin Carry Out the Biggest Hoax in American Political History?

Business Insider — An interesting footnote has emerged to a theory that raged around the Internet during Sarah Palin's candidacy for Vice President. The theory is that Sarah Palin is actually the grandmother of her purported son Trig, not the mother, and that she staged a gigantic hoax during the campaign to cover up this fact.

Professor Bradford Scharlott of Northern Kentucky University has looked into this story in detail and written a long academic article about it. He concludes two things: First, that the "conspiracy theory" is likely true—Sarah Palin staged a huge hoax, and, second, the American media is pathetic for not pursuing the story more aggressively.

Scharlott's article walks through all the evidence supporting the theory, including the photos of Palin in what is said to have been a late-stage pregnancy, the leisurely 20-hour trip home that Palin took after she supposedly went into labor in Texas, the refusal of the hospital where Trig was supposedly born to even confirm that he was born there (let alone who was the mother), strange statements from Palin's doctor and the McCain campaign, and so on.

And Scharlott concludes that, given that this hoax would be a massive fraud perpetrated on the entire country by a vice-presidential candidate, the media absolutely should have pursued the story more aggressively.

Full story with a detailed accounting of various events and photos of Palin when she was supposedly in the latter stages of pregnancy at http://gawker.com/#!5791915/did-sarah-palin-carry-out-the-biggest-hoax-in-american-political-history
    Because of the details of my genesis, I never found Palin's story anything more than the way things are in a world where young women can't make mistakes because they're not supposed to be having sex at all.

Not a hoax, really. Just a mother trying to protect her family name when her daughter "went and done wrong." One of the oldest stories around.

There are some lies people tell that are more acceptable than the truth.

This might be one of them.

Notice how the Palins have pretty much left Levi alone.
    Last edited by craighickman; 04-14-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Because of the details of my genesis, I never found Palin's story nothing more than the way things are in a world where young woman can't make mistakes because they're not supposed to be having sex at all.

Not a hoax, really. Just a mother trying to protect her family name when her daughter "went and done wrong." One of the oldest stories around.

There are some lies people tell that are more acceptable than the truth.

This might be one of them.

Notice how the Palins have pretty much left Levi alone.
    Everything you say is true BUT this is the woman who was lecturing the country on morality and how we should be raising our children.

I have my own little story about teen pregnancy. (Not mine).

When I was in college I worked with young teenagers in an after school program. Long story short one of the girls - she was about 14 - started showing visible signs of being pregnant. We figured she was about four months since she had "just started to show". We were wrong. She was near term. She did have her baby.

I bring this up to say that the Palins (and I'm including Todd in this) may not have known she was pregnant until she was almost due. When this happened I won't begin to speculate. I agree that the Palins did what they felt was best and in fact is an old tradition. Anyone 50 and above knows about "menopause" babies who were born to mothers who never even seemed to be pregnant. Of course the actual mother went away to live with relatives during her "confinement".

Where I think we disagree is that the situation deserves it's privacy. Anyone else and I'd be right there with you. Can you imagine if the teenaged daughter of a Democratic vice presidential candidate turned up pregnant? The right wing would still be howling about the lack of morality in the family. And Sarah would have be leading the charge.

The story should've been pursued and I agree that the press deserves a black eye.

Levi has them by the short hairs. They'd best leave him alone.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'll freely admit that there are about a zillion things about Palin's account that just don't seem to make much sense. Of course, the failure to produce a birth certificate citing parentage is the most obvious. But then again, the President produced his birth certificate. And many don't believe it, so why bother? I can see how Sarah's camp would take this route. You'd also think that they could produce at least one hospital employee (or better yet, a physician) who could verify that she gave birth at a specific location. And then there's the 20+ hours of travel with no health care provider on hand, with the last hour being a drive from the airport to the hospital, supposedly. That just doesn't make sense.

But here's my problem with the whole conspiracy theory--Trip's Down Syndrome. Now, I'll admit that women of any age are perfectly capable of having a child with Down Syndrome. It affects women of all ages. But it so drastically and disproportionately affects pregnancies involving women of advanced childbearing age--something like an incidence of 1/20-1/50 births among women in their late 30s/over 40 compared to something like a 1/1500 births among women in their early 20s. Teenagers have an incidence rate of something like 1/1000 or so. These are statistically significant disparities that underscore the documented increased risk among older women. The incidence data really do seem to increase the likelihood that Trip is Sarah's son.

Though of course, it's not at all impossible that he's Bristol's son.

::

In any case, it's important to point out that, even if Sarah produced a birth certificate, many people wouldn't believe it. And if Sarah produced a hospital employee who stated flat out that they assisted Sarah in giving birth to Trip, many people wouldn't believe it and would suggest that said employee had been paid off.

And as for the paucity of media coverage, who's going to report it? CNN? No way. They're too busy trying to trash the President to show that they're not "liberal media." If MSNBC reports it, that would be met with a resounding "that figures." FOX has trouble spelling FOX. Networks won't touch it for the same reasons as CNN. That leaves the blogosphere, which only is given credence when you tell people what they want to hear, and if you don't, you're either a moral-less liberal or a wingnut. Furthermore, they avoided it because Sarah herself spent much of 2010 screaming about sexist coverage of things that were better documented--her idiocy, her wardrobe, etc. The fact that they covered all of that to the exponential degree, along with all of her speeches and rallies, it would have been overkill to cover this. I'd argue that perhaps the mainstream media covered the wrong things as it related to Sarah.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    Everything you say is true BUT this is the woman who was lecturing the country on morality and how we should be raising our children.

When I was in college I worked with young teenagers in an after school program. Long story short one of the girls - she was about 14 - started showing visible signs of being pregnant. We figured she was about four months since she had "just started to show". We were wrong. She was near term. She did have her baby.

I bring this up to say that the Palins (and I'm including Todd in this) may not have known she was pregnant until she was almost due. When this happened I won't begin to speculate. I agree that the Palins did what they felt was best and in fact is an old tradition. Anyone 50 and above knows about "menopause" babies who were born to mothers who never even seemed to be pregnant. Of course the actual mother went away to live with relatives during her "confinement".

Where I think we disagree is that the situation deserves it's privacy. Anyone else and I'd be right there with you. Can you imagine if the teenaged daughter of a Democratic vice presidential candidate turned up pregnant? The right wing would still be howling about the lack of morality in the family. And Sarah would have be leading the charge.

The story should've been pursued and I agree that the press deserves a black eye.

I think someone that has had 5 babies knows what being pregnant feels like.
    Open wide.

Anyone who has had five live births also knows that after the first labor the deliveries get easier and faster. Taking a leisurely 20 hr trip back home would not be part of the agenda. That is what I've always wondered about. Aside from the other stuff.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Anyone who has had five live births also knows that after the first labor the deliveries get easier and faster. Taking a leisurely 20 hr trip back home would not be part of the agenda. That is what I've always wondered about. Aside from the other stuff.
    My mother went into labor with me (the third of three children) one afternoon at the grocery store. I was born around 7 p.m. or so.

She always appreciated me for being the only baby whose labor didn't wake her up in the middle of the night. I've always been an angelic sort.

::

Amie (et al), what's your take on the Down's issue and the fact that it disproportionately affects older pregnant women? The data are fairly powerful, though I'll freely admit young women have children with Down's, too.

Do I understand you to believe that I think the situation deserves its privacy?

In the situation of Sarah Palin, I don't. (I'm not exactly sure it deserves its privacy in any situation, especially if the child will suffer because of it, but that's another story.) If the press had done its job, it would have at least said what I said with some research (the things you can find if you go looking) to back it up.

It didn't even do that.

Not even Andrew Sullivan, who was relentless about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post

Though of course, it's not at all impossible that he's Bristol's son.
    True. And even if he's Bristol's son, Levi isn't necessarily the father.

That said, I think, at this point, we would want, as my mother would say, to leave well enough alone.

Page 2 of 255 FirstFirst 123456122752102252 ... LastLast