Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: 8.9 Earthquake hits Japan

This looks really awful...
    Roger forever

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I found the footage of the water surging across the farmland pretty disturbing. You see houses and such being swpt along in the front, then shortly before the video ends you can see it approaching all of those cars on the road actively trying to drive away...
    I disapprove of this message

Water engulfing Sendai airport

Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    I found the footage of the water surging across the farmland pretty disturbing. You see houses and such being swpt along in the front, then shortly before the video ends you can see it approaching all of those cars on the road actively trying to drive away...
    It's hard to imagine water traveling at 500mph, about the same speed as an airplane. The tsunami hit the west coast in the same time it would have taken to fly from Japan to the West coast.
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

Quote Originally Posted by James7 View Post
    That was truly scary to me. Seeing the water moving as fast as it was just boggles the mind.
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

So there's the tsunami destroying so many lives, up to 6 miles inland. And then, in Fukushima Prefecture (about 30 miles inland), a dam fails and 1800 more homes are destroyed in minutes. Enough already.
    Coach Marion, at your service!

MSNBC is reporting another quake - not an aftershock - has hit Japan
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-Amie View Post
    MSNBC is reporting another quake - not an aftershock - has hit Japan
    CNN states it's a 6.6 in the Niigata and Nagano prefectures. That's on the other side of the country and little further towards the middle.
    Coach Marion, at your service!

I hope all our TAT members and their families and friends in affected areas are safe.

I can't watch natural disaster footage anymore.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

So, between my Mom's Dr. appointment (she fell last weekend and fractured her upper arm) and a project dumped on me yet again when no fewer than six people claimed they were too busy, with a draft that was due earlier this evening, I am just now getting around to watching this. I knew what happened, of course, but seeing it for the first time, I am just stunned.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

FOX News is reporting that an explosion was heard and felt at one of the two nuclear power plants that they've been concerned about.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Shaking, smoke at problem Japan nuclear plant

The Associated Press
    Saturday, March 12, 2011; 3:16 AM

TOKYO -- Japanese government officials say there was shaking and a trail of white smoke at the nuclear plant in the area devastated by a massive earthquake.

Fukushima Prefecture official Masato Abe says the cause is still under investigation, and it was unclear whether there was an explosion.

Another official said the utility that runs the Fukushima Daiichi plant is reporting Saturday that several workers may have been injured.

One reactor at the plant is facing a possible meltdown after its cooling system was knocked out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031200642.html
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Shaking, smoke at problem Japan nuclear plant

The Associated Press
    Saturday, March 12, 2011; 3:16 AM

TOKYO -- Japanese government officials say there was shaking and a trail of white smoke at the nuclear plant in the area devastated by a massive earthquake.

Fukushima Prefecture official Masato Abe says the cause is still under investigation, and it was unclear whether there was an explosion.

Another official said the utility that runs the Fukushima Daiichi plant is reporting Saturday that several workers may have been injured.

One reactor at the plant is facing a possible meltdown after its cooling system was knocked out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...031200642.html
    It's looking really bad, there has been an explosion there now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking1.html

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

My sister-in-law is Japanese, but I've been too scared to ring them to find out what is happening with her parents and brother. I'm not even sure what part of Japan they live in.

I know brotherluvs used to teach in Sendai when he was over there a few years ago, but am unsure if any of his teaching friends are still working.

I'm seriously over all this natural disaster crap now!

Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luvs10s View Post
    My sister-in-law is Japanese, but I've been too scared to ring them to find out what is happening with her parents and brother. I'm not even sure what part of Japan they live in.

I know brotherluvs used to teach in Sendai when he was over there a few years ago, but am unsure if any of his teaching friends are still working.

I'm seriously over all this natural disaster crap now!
    Seriously. There seems to have been such a bad run of events during the last year, mother nature needs to have a calm period now.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast