Agree Agree:  111
Likes Likes:  305
Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5558095101102103104105
Results 1,561 to 1,566 of 1566

Re: Let's Discuss Science

Joey Roulette
    @joroulette·14m
    A Starship prototype just exploded in Boca Chica, Texas during static fire testing. SpaceX was granted an FAA license yesterday to conduct suborbital flights, not sure when those first test flights will happen. Video/live feed from
    @NASASpaceflight
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1266444972573818881
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Rocket sience is still very difficult, 50 years after the first human flights...
    Roger forever

If you look at the total number of ALL space launches, and if you plot the number of fatalities that have taken place (2 shuttles, 1 burnt Apollo, and I do not know if there have been Russian fatalities) the FATALITY rate is extremely high. No commercial airliner would be allowed to take off with such numbers.
    It still takes a lot of courage to go up in one of those, specially since there are no MINOR space incidents. Apolo 13 non-withstanding (and that was not trivial either).
    Face it. It's the apocalypse.

Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    If you look at the total number of ALL space launches, and if you plot the number of fatalities that have taken place (2 shuttles, 1 burnt Apollo, and I do not know if there have been Russian fatalities) the FATALITY rate is extremely high. No commercial airliner would be allowed to take off with such numbers.
    It still takes a lot of courage to go up in one of those, specially since there are no MINOR space incidents. Apolo 13 non-withstanding (and that was not trivial either).

I think there were 4 Soviet (human) casualties in the 60s and 70s (over 2 incidents). I think before Gagarin went up, a few dogs died in space

It's not just human fatalities, also lots of on the ground technical problems like the one in Texas. I assume nobody died there.
    Roger forever

The next launch window is today at 15:22 EDT.
    Roger forever

Page 105 of 105 FirstFirst ... 5558095101102103104105