Agree Agree:  47
Likes Likes:  208
Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3257727879808182
Results 1,216 to 1,224 of 1224

Re: Let's Discuss Science

The Eclipse Conspiracy
    Something doesn’t add up.

The scientists are all talking like it’s a sure thing.

On August 21, the “moon” will pass between the Earth and the sun, obscuring the light of the latter. The government agency NASA says this will result in “one of nature’s most awe-inspiring sights.” The astronomers there claim to have calculated down to the minute exactly when and where this will happen, and for how long. They have reportedly known about this eclipse for years, just by virtue of some sort of complex math.

This seems extremely unlikely. I can’t even find these eclipse calculations on their website to check them for myself.

Meanwhile the scientists tell us we can’t look at it without special glasses because “looking directly at the sun is unsafe.”

That is, of course, unless we wear glasses that are on a list issued by these very same scientists. Meanwhile, corporations like Amazon are profiting from the sale of these eclipse glasses. Is anyone asking how many of these astronomers also, conveniently, belong to Amazon Prime?

Let’s follow the money a little further. Hotels along the “path of totality”—a region drawn up by Obama-era NASA scientists—have been sold out for months. Some of those hotels are owned and operated by large multinational corporations. Where else do these hotels have locations? You guessed it: Washington, D.C.

In fact the entire politico-scientifico-corporate power structure is aligned behind the eclipse. This includes the mainstream media. How many news stories have you read about how the eclipse won’t happen?

Meanwhile the newspaper owner Jeff Bezos is out there buying all of Seattle with the revenue from these “eclipse glasses.”

You’d think there would be a balanced look at even considering the idea that the eclipse isn’t going to happen. It’s like no one is even thinking to question this. Where are their voices? Why does Google give so few results that say the eclipse is fake? I would start by looking at Mark Zuckerberg and Charles “Chuck” Schumer.

I am not saying the eclipse isn’t going to happen. I’m just saying there are two sides to every story.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...happen/537090/
    Roger forever

I looked up the author of this article. He's a 34 year old MD who writes on health issues for the Atlantic. Is this tongue in cheek or some kind of right wing "think piece"?
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

I think the publication alone makes it certain that it's a satire directed at the far right and their supporters.
    Roger forever

James Hamblin? I love his video series, If Our Bodies Could Talk. Definitely satire.

The latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdjc...SXjnkha52jYUSF
    Last edited by MJ2004; 08-20-2017 at 09:51 AM.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Midi Golf Champion, Add Like Mad Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Yeti 1 Greece Champion, Archery Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, it looks like the eclipse thing is happening after all. That is, unless the Weather Channel is a conspirator in a vast media and political conspiracy to dupe the public. And all the people oohing and aahing on TV are paid actors. And if so, the Weather Channel correspondent in Madras, Oregon should win an Oscar. Those tears... Look out, Sally Field...
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Absolutely brilliant
    Starry starry night

Jason Aycock‏ @AlphaJason 14m14 minutes ago
    More
    Replying to @TMannWSJ @gabrielsnyder
    Finally preparing to set up a blind trust
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

From where I sat (in my back yard) the clouds obscured the sun and moon for about ten minutes before totality, but they parted in time for us to witness the main minute. And being able to look up periodically at the action during the hour before and after with the comforts of home at hand (including single-malt Scotch, shrimp chips, and a copy of Tanith Lee's Don't Bite the Sun) was certainly a bonus.

IMG_0058.JPGIMG_0061.JPG

(We had proper glasses as well -- my sweetie made the pinhole viewer for kicks.)

I was at the beach in Maine and for a moment the sun felt a bit less strong, without the clouds. In 7 years we'll have full totality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 82 of 82 FirstFirst ... 3257727879808182