Agree Agree:  68
Likes Likes:  245
Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4267828889909192
Results 1,366 to 1,375 of 1375

Re: Let's Discuss Science

Go tell that to an Italian. They are very proud of their heritage. In Venezuela, where there is a very large Italian colony (they contributed tremendously to the growth of the 60's-70's), the Italian kids ALL learned to speak fluent Italian from their families as they grew up. Which came in really handy when they started to migrate BACK to Italy during this dictatorship. They could reclaim passports and be fluent in the language.
    As far as Italian are concerned, their DNA is made of pasta, basil and pepperoncino. Not chocolate and cheese
    Starry starry night

Reminds me of this clip:

Calder Robinson
    ‏@CalderRobinson

The black plague disappeared without a vaccine, just saying...
    #antivax

Dana Schwartz
    ‏Verified account
    @DanaSchwartzzz

More Dana Schwartz Retweeted Calder Robinson
    It..... killed 1/3 of Europe.

Are anti-vaxxers really going with “actually, the Black Plague wasn’t so bad”

Anti-vaxxers don’t care about facts but:
    -the plague was bacterial so obviously it wouldn’t have a vaccine
    -it’s not gone, people still get it, but at least we have treatment now

ok sorry sorry there are vaccinates for bacteria! science is great!
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Karen Uhlenbeck Is First Woman to Win Abel Prize for Mathematics

Only like 70 years too late (Emmy Noether) but very good news still.
    Starry starry night

I love your comment, Ti: "Are anti-vaxxers really going with 'actually, the Black Plague wasn't so bad'?"

There are historians who think that the death toll could have been as high as 60% of Europe's population, but even the very lowest estimates are 30%. Obviously, the comment above that we have antibiotics for it now is spot-on. But, while very unlikely, it is by no means inconceivable that an untreatable virus could rampage the population in modern times. And think about it....if we even use the low end, 30%, that would mean over 100,000,000 deaths in the US alone.

In Europe, the deaths from by far the worst occurrence of the plague all occurred between 1347-1351, sort of peaking in the middle of that time. Some countries got it later in that 4-year period, so the deaths were spread out. It took Europe's population 200 years to recover to the 1347 level.

Anyway, imagine the impact of 30% of this country dying within 4-years of a communicable disease. In 14th century Europe, there were, quite literally, not enough people around to bury the dead in some areas. And people were afraid to handle the dead for obvious reasons. And that is only one small impact. The disease altered the history of Europe in many ways....something we studied quite extensively when I took Spanish Culture about 3 years ago.

For the anti-vaxxers to even go there is an amazing lack of perspective.

GH

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post
    I love your comment, Ti: "Are anti-vaxxers really going with 'actually, the Black Plague wasn't so bad'?"

There are historians who think that the death toll could have been as high as 60% of Europe's population, but even the very lowest estimates are 30%. Obviously, the comment above that we have antibiotics for it now is spot-on. But, while very unlikely, it is by no means inconceivable that an untreatable virus could rampage the population in modern times. And think about it....if we even use the low end, 30%, that would mean over 100,000,000 deaths in the US alone.

In Europe, the deaths from by far the worst occurrence of the plague all occurred between 1347-1351, sort of peaking in the middle of that time. Some countries got it later in that 4-year period, so the deaths were spread out. It took Europe's population 200 years to recover to the 1347 level.

Anyway, imagine the impact of 30% of this country dying within 4-years of a communicable disease. In 14th century Europe, there were, quite literally, not enough people around to bury the dead in some areas. And people were afraid to handle the dead for obvious reasons. And that is only one small impact. The disease altered the history of Europe in many ways....something we studied quite extensively when I took Spanish Culture about 3 years ago.

For the anti-vaxxers to even go there is an amazing lack of perspective education.

GH
    Fixed that for you.

That quote wasn't mine btw. It was by the person whose tweet started the thread.
    "Even if you dance for your enemy on the rock, he will accuse you of splashing water on him." ~ African Proverb

Erin Biba
    @erinbiba
    JUST GET VACCINATED FOR F**K SAKE I CANNOT "On Tuesday, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin said that he exposed his nine unvaccinated children to chicken pox to help them become immune to the disease, The Daily Beast reported."

IF ONLY MODERN MEDICINE HAS COME UP WITH A TESTED SAFE AND PROVEN WAY TO CREATE IMMUNITY

Parents are hosting chicken pox parties so their kids can 'get it over with,' but a pediatrician says the practice is a gamble
    Julia Naftulin

On Tuesday, Kentucky Governor Matt Bevin said that he exposed his nine unvaccinated children to chicken pox to help them become immune to the disease, The Daily Beast reported.

People previously reported on the resurgence of chicken pox parties— gatherings where healthy children are put in the same room as a child who has the disease so they can catch it and "get it over with."

Although this makes sense in theory, pediatrician Dr. Natasha Burgert told INSIDER that pox parties are an unsafe practice with potentially life-threatening health implications.

Rather than host or attend chicken pox parties, parents should vaccinate their children to prevent the chicken pox and other viruses, Burgert said.

Before the chicken pox vaccine became available in 1995, parents often hosted "chicken pox parties" similar to what Bevin described. During these gatherings, healthy children would be put in in the same room as a child who had chicken pox in hopes that the healthy children would contract the disease and "get it over with." Though this has been out of practice for some time, People recently reported on a resurgence of chicken pox parties.

Although pox parties operate on the premise that most people who contract chicken pox once never get it again, that doesn't make them safe.

"There is no way to tell in advance how severe your child's symptoms will be," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) noted on its site. "So it is not worth taking the chance of exposing your child to someone with the disease."
    https://www.thisisinsider.com/what-a...ferrer=twitter

Have you guys heard about the teen who went on Reddit to find out about getting vaccinated without parental approval because his mom was kinda nuts in that area and there were a ton of other people asking the same question and it went viral? It's gotten a good deal of attention. I think he might be from Ohio. Once he turned 18 he got the vaccines he chose to get and it's broken his mother's heart, etc. etc. He has two siblings that are underage who are still unvaccinated that he's concerned about.

Anyway, he went to testify before Congress about this issue and some of what he said was that the antivax community was manipulating well intentioned mothers like his own with false information. I wondered when I heard this what kind of false information. I had assumed it was the autism narrative that seems to be the one plenty rely on as an excuse to avoid vaccinating their children, but I'm sure this is another one that I never considered. It's so ridiculous a claim that I couldn't possibly conceive someone putting forth the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNU View Post
    Have you guys heard about the teen who went on Reddit to find out about getting vaccinated without parental approval because his mom was kinda nuts in that area and there were a ton of other people asking the same question and it went viral? It's gotten a good deal of attention. I think he might be from Ohio. Once he turned 18 he got the vaccines he chose to get and it's broken his mother's heart, etc. etc. He has two siblings that are underage who are still unvaccinated that he's concerned about.

Anyway, he went to testify before Congress about this issue and some of what he said was that the antivax community was manipulating well intentioned mothers like his own with false information. I wondered when I heard this what kind of false information. I had assumed it was the autism narrative that seems to be the one plenty rely on as an excuse to avoid vaccinating their children, but I'm sure this is another one that I never considered. It's so ridiculous a claim that I couldn't possibly conceive someone putting forth the idea.
    He's my new hero.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennHarman View Post

GH
    I have said for some years that the reason Ebola has not been that virus you talk about is that it actually kills too quickly and therefore it does not have time to spread.
    If it had an incubation and spread time of weeks, we are talking one of the many End Of The World movies or books around.
    (Leave it to Ponchi to bring in the cheerful scenario. I know).
    Starry starry night

Page 92 of 92 FirstFirst ... 4267828889909192