Agree Agree:  277
Likes Likes:  205
Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 176792107113114115116117
Results 1,741 to 1,754 of 1754

Thread: In Memoriam

Re: In Memoriam

American comedy legend Jerry Stiller has died of natural causes at age 92. He's probably best known as George Costanza's father on Seinfeld.
    Last edited by JTContinental; 05-11-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    This is not the bouquet you toss

I'm old enough to remember when "Stiller and Meara" did stand up.

May he RIP
    “No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up.” – Lily Tomlin.

Another legendary American comedian, Fred Willard, has died at age 86, also of natural causes.

On a lower tier of fame level, popular interior designer Frank Bielec has also died at age 72 from complications following a heart attack. He was best known for appearing on the TLC show Trading Spaces.

May they both Rest in Peace.

Phyllis George has just died at the age of 70. It was due to a long-standing chronic blood disorder, not contributed to in any way by the virus. She was a former Miss America, then a sportscaster and news anchor, among other things. She was also the first lady of Kentucky. Her ex-husband was governor starting in the late 70's. She was very much a Democrat. She got divorced in 1998, but apparently stayed very close to her husband. Both of them and one of their 2 children lived in Lexington, Kentucky at the time of her death. (for those of you who don't know, Lexington is by far the most liberal town in Kentucky, and probably the only place in the state I would even consider living).

GH

RIP Ms George

Director Lynn Shelton has died at age 54, also due to a blood disorder. She most recently directed the television show Little Fires Everywhere.

I found out a bit more from a friend who knew her: Phyllis George had polycythemia vera, diagnosed 35 years ago. The disease finally transformed into a less controllable situation and she died of complications of that. GH

Martyn McLaughlin
    @MartynMcL

For nine hours a day, six days a week, until the final moments of VE Day, she used her mathematical prowess to thwart the Nazis. Last punt for my story on Ann Mitchell, the WW2 codebreaker who has died aged 97, shortly after testing positive for Covid-19.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/people...ged-97-2855511

A point made about someone else earlier: For Ann Mitchell, despite her age, this was a life cut short by COVID-19. She made an enormous contribution to the future of the world. May she RIP. GH

Annie Glenn died yesterday of COVID-19 at the age of 100. She was John Glenn's wife. Since they married young, stayed married and lived to be quite old, they were married 73 years and 8 months.

Annie Glenn was an Ohioan about whom I have learned a great deal over the years. She was truly remarkable. She was such a wonderful pianist as a teenager that she earned a scholarship to study piano at Julliard. She never went, choosing instead to marry John Glenn during WW2. She had a profound speech problem (stuttering) that was so bad in her formative years that she could barely communicate orally. With aggressive speech therapy throughout her life, she got to the point where it was not that bad, though always noticeable. She got degrees in speech pathology and made a lot of contributions to that field, including by making it much more visible to much of the public.

Largely due to her speech problem, she was never comfortable with public life. The spotlight forced on the 7 wives of the Mercury astronauts was never to her liking. Later groups of astronauts' wives never came close to the scrutiny those 7 underwent. I'm old enough to remember them being on the covers of all the magazines, constantly on TV, etc.

John Glenn was also a very interesting man. Having been in the Air Force and having known many AF pilots (including being the partner of one for the last 9 years of his life), in John Glenn's day pilots were a very conservative group, and Air Force officers in general were quite conservative people on the average. But even as a young man, John Glenn was quite progressive. He was a US Senator from Ohio for 4 terms. I don't think he was what we would call a great senator, since given the 24 years he was there, he only really came to the forefront for activities in the Senate a couple of times. Still, by my standards he was very, very good, since he always understood the needs of people far less fortunate than he was. He was always a very staunch Democrat.

Given the macho, testosterone-infused personalities of most of the Air Force pilots I knew, I even found it fascinating that he had fallen in love with and married a woman with a rather profound disability. And by all accounts, it was an incredibly successful marriage. I think that was all part of who he was. But I think even by thinking that thought, one is likely to be overlooking the unbelievably special person Annie Glenn was.

She was a marvelous person who will be greatly missed. GH

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Larry Kramer has died. He was 84. He died of pneumonia.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Larry Kramer has died. He was 84. He died of pneumonia.
    Bless Larry Kramer and his time on this earth. What a good man.
    25 GRAND SLAM TITLES: 5 SINGLES 13 DOUBLES 7 MIXED

During his most prominent years in ACT UP, I was constantly aware of what Larry Kramer was doing. His actions meant a ton to me personally (as you would know from things I have shared). I didn't have the time to be as much of an activist as I wanted to be, so I was so grateful for people like him. He was wonderful and will be missed. GH

Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 176792107113114115116117