Agree Agree:  76
Likes Likes:  96
Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4065808687888990
Results 1,336 to 1,346 of 1346

Thread: In Memoriam

Re: In Memoriam

That one really made me sad. I remember watching the 93 final, rooting for Steffi and then, when Jana cried on the Duchess' shoulder, feeling very sorry for her. When she won in '98 it was a good day.
    An all time great she was not. But she left a mark. One of the last (if not THE last) serve and volley'ers. RIP.
    Starry starry night

RIP Ms Novotna
    WTA‏Verified account
    @WTA

More
    Jana Novotna, 1968-2017
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Stephen King‏Verified account
    @StephenKing
    8m8 minutes ago
    More
    Satan to Manson: “Yo, Charlie! What took you so long, broheim? Have a seat by the fire, and let me stick this red-hot poker up your butt!”
    "For the person that we know in the daytime, we don't need to light a lamp to see his face at night." Ghanaian Proverb

Serious question. I know that Manson was an evil person. There is no doubt.
    However, what is the difference between him and the recent mass murderers that gun down 20 or more people? I know that he murdered people as part of a "ritual", but why is he so singled out as a mass murdered while others are not?
    Starry starry night

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

oh my --- very sad. Jana was one of my favorite players back then in the 90's -- may she rest in peace, cancer is no respector of persons.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    However, what is the difference between him and the recent mass murderers that gun down 20 or more people? I know that he murdered people as part of a "ritual", but why is he so singled out as a mass murdered while others are not?
    Maybe because Manson was not recent, possibly the first such evil beings, at least in this country.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Penguin Arcade Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Magic Towers Solitaire Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The thing about Jana is that she has always been better known for the Wimbledon final she lost rather than the one she won. This news completely ruined my day.
    Become a Kiva lender and help people lift themselves out of poverty. To find loans that are safe, secular, and mostly short in term, go to the A+ Convenience Store at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred...venience-store. Or, if you would like to support repeat borrowers with a proven track record of repayment, check out CraigsList at http://starfish.dynalias.org/starred/craigslist. Happy lending!

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I think Ponchi makes a good point. Of course, I'm old enough to remember very clearly the events of the Manson murders as they happened. This is not to refute your point at all, Ponchi, but for me, Charlie Manson's eyes always showed the very embodiment of evil. You could look into those eyes and see not only the looniest person alive, but also perhaps one of the most completely evil ones.

And you could easily make the point (as per Ponchi), that the other mass murderers have all of the same qualities.

Oh, another thing that always brought his murders to the forefront was that some of the victims (especially Sharon Tate, of course) were famous white people. That, and the ritualized planning of those murders, resulted in them being front-page news for weeks.

GH

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I think the bigger factor for Manson was that the crimes were a crossover between a mass murder and a serial killer. Usually in a mass killing, the killer(s) end up dead or caught quickly. But the family killed 8 people in 2 consecutive nights (mostly famous and/or rich) and the police had no leads (other than to mistakenly state the 2 murder scenes were not related). Because of the messages left behind, people assumed there could be more to come, so I'm sure the whole city was on edge. When they were finally caught, it turned out to be a commune family of hippies, which was pretty shocking. And then the trials were turned into a circus by the media and also by Manson's followers. There were so many interesting angles and stories, the media absolutely loved him for years. And he never shied from it of course. It was sort of a perfect storm.

Media Relations
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    The thing about Jana is that she has always been better known for the Wimbledon final she lost rather than the one she won. This news completely ruined my day.
    I grinned at the news of Manson's passing --- I CRIED for Jana and also for Della Reese, same day news.

The article remembering Jana Novotna on tennis.com is a tearjerker.
    http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/...epublic/70555/

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4065808687888990