Page 1 of 54 12345112651 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

In Memoriam

We've discussed opening a thread like this for some time. When I read the following, I thought it appropriate that we finally take action and open this.

Director/Producer Peter Yates has passed

Deadline has learned that English film director and producer and 4-time Oscar nominee Peter Yates -- who helmed such celebrated and dissimilar films as Bullitt, The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, Breaking Away, Suspect, and The Dresser -- has passed away in London after a long illness. He was 82. A graduate of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, he was a stage actor before working as an assistant director for Tony Richardson. Yates' feature directorial debut was the early 1960s low-budget Summer Holiday (1963) with Cliff Richard And The Shadows. He soon graduated to the 1967 crime thriller Robbery, a fictionalized version of Britain's The Great Train Robbery. It was a short jump to his first American film, Bullitt (1968), starring Steve McQueen in one of the definitive cop movies of all time thanks to that car chase through the streets of San Francisco. Other films he directed included John and Mary (1969), Murphy's War (1971), The Hot Rock (1972), For Pete's Sake (1974), The Deep (1977), Eyewitness (1981), The Dresser (1983), Krull (1983), Eleni (1985), Suspect (1987), The House on Carroll Street (1988), An Innocent Man (1989), Year of the Comet (1992), Roommates (1995), and Curtain Call (1999). He earned two Oscar nominations (director and producer) for Breaking Away, and another two (director and producer) for The Dresser.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/r-i-p-peter-yates/

Yates was a big part of a number of movies that I absolutely love. "Breaking Away" has been a favorite of mine for 30+ years, I remember seeing it in college with my friend Dennis, and then telling everyone I knew they had to see it. It is simple storytelling done incredibly well, with a number of outstanding performances.

"Bullitt", "For Pete's Sake", "The Dresser" are all highly enjoyable as well.
    Last edited by Moose; 01-10-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Ssshh. Don't tell PEHK I am cheating on him with Dominic Thiem!

Re: "(name goes here) Has Passed" Thread

Thanks so much for starting the thread

Thank you, Moose! Though some people will probably still get an own thread, this sure does come in handy. It also immediately hands me the space to make mention of Bobby Farrel's recent passing. After already opening two other "has passed" threads on the day I learnt of this, a third seemed a bit... much...

Boney M singer Bobby Farrell dies on tour

AMSTERDAM — Bobby Farrell, whose group Boney M topped the 1970s European charts with its glittering showmanship and blend of disco and Calypso music, was found dead in his hotel bed Thursday while on tour in Russia, his agent said. He was 61.

The frontman appeared as scheduled in St. Petersburg Wednesday night, but complained of breathing problems before and after his show, said the agent, John Seine.

The group had 38 top 10 hits, including 15 number ones in Germany. They included "Brown Girl in the Ring" and "Mary's Boychild." Their version of "By the Rivers of Babylon" sold nearly 2 million records in Britain alone, keeping it No. 1 for five weeks in 1978.

The same year, Boney M became the first Western music group invited by a Soviet leader, Leonid Brezhnev, to perform in the Soviet Union. A Soviet military plane flew the performers from London to Moscow, where they sang for an audience of 2,700 Russians in Red Square.

Alphonso "Bobby" Farrell left his home on the Caribbean island of Aruba at 15 to work as a sailor, then drifted to Norway and Germany to pursue a career as a DJ, according to his official biography.

He was chosen in 1974 to front Boney M, put together by German singer and songwriter Frank Farian, who did much of the recorded singing while Farrell was more a dancer and showman.

The band, based in Germany, broke into the charts with "Daddy Cool" and "Sunny" in 1976.

The original group of Farrell and three women broke up in 1986 and Farrell, who lived in Amsterdam, continued on his own or with various female back-up singers, maintaining his flamboyant style and flashy costumes. In recent years he toured under the name Bobby Farrell's Boney M.

Seine said the cause of death was not known, but Farrell had suffered health problems off-and-on for 10 years. He said he was found by hotel staff after he failed to respond to a wake-up call.

He had been due to fly to Rome Thursday for a television show.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/408504...entertainment/

David Nelson was my first movie star crush. I never watched him on TV, but first saw him on the big screen in The Big Circus. The combination of his incredibly gorgeous eyes and muscles flexing while swinging on that trapeze was far too delicious to resist.
    Most of my friends went gaga over Ricky, but not me.

David Nelson, last of TV's 'Ozzie and Harriet,' is dead

Los Angeles (CNN) -- David Nelson, the older brother in TV's Ozzie and Harriet Nelson family, died Tuesday after a battle with colon cancer, publicist Dale Olson said Wednesday. Nelson was 74.
    Nelson died at his Century City, California, home with his wife of 36 years, Yvonne, at his side, Olson said.
    He was 16 in 1952 when he joined his parents, Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, and younger brother Rick on the radio show "Here Come the Nelsons," which soon became television's "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet."
    The TV show was shot in the family's real Hollywood Hills home and was based on the real family.
    The sons' roles were originally played by actors when the radio show began, but David and Rick persuaded their parents to let them join the cast in its first year.
    David Nelson directed and produced several episodes of the series during its five-year run, Olson said.
    While the show made Rick a teen idol and launched his music career, David became a successful director and producer.
    Nelson was born in New York on October 24, 1936, but his father, actor-bandleader Ozzie Nelson, and mother, singer Harriet Hilliard, moved the family to Los Angeles.
    He attended Hollywood High and the University of Southern California.
    Rick Nelson died in a plane crash on December 31, 1985. His father died in 1975, and his mother's death came in 1994.
    Along with his wife, David Nelson is survived by sons John, Eric, James and Danny, and daughter Teri.
    His acting credits included movies roles between 1957 and 1965 in films such as "Peyton Place," "The Remarkable Mr. Pennypacker" and "The Big Circus," in which he won critical acclaim as a homicidal trapeze artist, according to a biography released by his publicist. He also acted in "Day of the Outlaw," "-30-," "The Big Show," "Love and Kisses," "Hondo" and "Swing Out." He co-starred with his mother in the 1976 film "Smash-Up on Interstate 5."
    Nelson's television roles included "Up in Smoke," "The Love Boat," "High School USA," "A Family for Joe" and guest-starring roles in series of that period, his biography says.
    Along with his directorial work on his family's TV series, Nelson directed "O.K. Crackerby," "Childish Things," "Easy to be Free," "Ozzie's Girls," "Death Screams," "Last Plane Out," "Goodnight, Beantown" and "A Rare Breed," it said.
    Nelson's funeral and interment are planned for noon Thursday at Pierce Brothers Westwood Mortuary in Los Angeles, his publicist said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/cele...ex.html?hpt=T2

Oscar-nominated British actress Susannah York dies

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110116/...tain_obit_york

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jack LaLanne dead at age 96

American fitness guru Jack LaLanne died Sunday afternoon at his home in Morro Bay, California, according to his long-time agent, Rick Hersh. He was 96.

The cause, said Hersh, was respiratory failure due to pneumonia. LaLanne had been ill for the past week. His wife, Elaine, was at his side, along with his family and friends, Hersh said.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/23...ne-dead-at-96/
    Hello, Grigor.

LaLanne was way ahead of his time. I'm glad that he lived long enough to see his ideas become so popular. May he RIP.
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

(Could we change this thread name to "R.I.P." or something like that? The current name reads so flippant.)

Gladys Horton, who gathered some of her high school friends into a singing group that became the Marvelettes and then sang lead vocals on “Please Mr. Postman,” which became Motown Records’ first No. 1 hit, died on Wednesday in Sherman Oaks, Calif.

Her son Vaughn Thornton said in an interview that her health had been in decline for several years. In a statement released by the Los Angeles chapter of the Motown Alumni Association (an independent group not associated with Motown Records, which is now an affiliate of Universal Music), he said she had not recovered after suffering a stroke.

Ms. Horton was in her mid-60s, but her precise age was uncertain. The statement said she was born in 1944, but Mr. Thornton gave his mother’s birthday as May 30, 1945, making her 65 at her death.

Ms. Horton was in a high school glee club in Inkster, Mich., outside Detroit, when she recruited three of her classmates — Katherine Anderson (now Schaffner), Georgeanna Tillman and Juanita Cowart — as well as a friend who had recently graduated, Georgia Dobbins, and formed a quintet. They called themselves the Casinyets — a contraction of the words “can’t sing yet,” an acknowledgment of their lack of experience.

Competing in a talent contest whose winners were to receive an audition for Motown, they didn’t win, but got the audition anyway. Motown executives, including Berry Gordy Jr., the label’s founder, were impressed but said they needed to come up with original material. A friend of Ms. Dobbins, William Garrett, had just written a blues song, and with his permission Ms. Dobbins rewrote the song, about a girl aching for mail from her far-away boyfriend, casting it in a pop vein, though she kept the title, “Please Mr. Postman.”

After Ms. Dobbins left the group because her mother was ill and her father wanted her at home, she was replaced by Wanda Young, another graduate of the same high school in Inkster, leaving Ms. Horton to sing the lead vocals, including the memorable line “De-liver de let-ter, de sooner de bet-ter.”

On Dec. 11, 1961, after three months on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, “Please Mr. Postman” reached No. 1. The song would later be recorded by the Beatles and, in 1975, the Carpenters, for whom it was also a No. 1 hit.

Smokey Robinson wrote several songs for the Marvelettes, who went through a number of personnel changes — becoming a quartet and later a trio — before disbanding in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Ms. Horton stayed with the group until 1967, when she became pregnant with her first child. She sang on a number of hit recordings, including “Playboy,” “Beechwood 4-5789” and Mr. Robinson’s tunes “Don’t Mess With Bill” and “The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game.”

Precise information about Ms. Horton’s early life was not available. Most biographical sources say she was born in Detroit or in Inkster, but Mr. Thornton said she was born in Gainesville, Fla. By the time she was nine months old, her son said, she was an orphan and consigned to foster care, growing up mostly in different towns in Michigan. Her full name was Gladys Catherine Horton. She was married once and divorced, and had three sons. Besides Mr. Thornton, one other son, Sammy Coleman, survives her, along with two grandchildren.

The origin of the Marvelettes is variously recounted in music encyclopedias and other sources, and they usually describe Ms. Horton as a co-founder of the group. But in an interview on Thursday, Ms. Schaffner, one of the original Marvelettes, gave her full credit.

“We only started singing together because Gladys asked us,” she recalled. “Usually we’d go to Georgeanna’s house and play canasta.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/ar...rton.html?_r=1
    Oh heaven...I wake with good intentions but the day it always lasts too long... Emeli Sande

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by mwoods View Post
    (Could we change this thread name to "R.I.P." or something like that? The current name reads so flippant.)
    "In Memoriam", maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    "In Memoriam", maybe?

(Also, how weird is it that I of all people feel particularly sensitively about this? )

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Yahtzee Champion, Deuces Wild Champion Kirkus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    "In Memoriam", maybe?
    "Bit the big one"
    "Pushing up daisies"
    "Bought the farm"
    "Assumed room temperature"
    "Kicked the bucket"
    "Checked in to the one room condo"
    Hello, Grigor.

LOL!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Bond composer John Barry dies

Composer John Barry, famous for his work on Born Free, Out of Africa and the James Bond films, has died in New York of a heart attack aged 77.

Born John Barry Prendergast in 1933, the York-born musician first found fame as leader of the John Barry Seven.

His arrangement of Monty Norman's James Bond theme led to him composing scores for 11 films in the series, among them Goldfinger and You Only Live Twice.

His work saw him win five Oscars, while he received a Bafta fellowship in 2005.

His most recent film score featured in the 2001 war thriller Enigma, while a musical version of Brighton Rock, created with lyricist Don Black, had its London premiere in 2004.

Black, who worked with the composer on his Born Free, Thunderball and Diamonds are Forever theme songs, said Barry remained unaffected by his international success.

"The thing about John that I will always remember was he never changed," he said.

"He was very much the Yorkshireman, whether he was in Beverly Hills or Manhattan."

Awarded an OBE in 1999 for his services to music, Barry was renowned for his lush strings, orchestral swells and elegant melodies.

His work found a new audience when Robbie Williams featured music from You Only Live Twice on his 1998 hit single Millennium.

Current Bond film composer David Arnold paid tribute to his predecessor via Twitter.

"I am profoundly saddened by the news but profoundly thankful for everything he did for music and for me personally," he said.

Barry's son-in-law, BBC business reporter Simon Jack, said he "truly loved writing music as much as people enjoyed listening to it".

"He saw himself as much a dramatist as a composer and his music was inextricably linked to the stories told on the screen."

Jack also remembered him as "a wickedly funny man" whose "passion, genius and sense of humour will be terribly missed by his family and friends".

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Born Free star Virginia McKenna said Barry was "a wonderful musician and composer".

Close friend Michael Crawford, meanwhile, said he had written "some of the most memorable and beautiful film scores we could ever wish to hear".

Barry's first Oscars came in 1967 for his Born Free score and its iconic title theme.

more

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

That's a really big name. He is responsible for some of the most memorable scores...ever.

Page 1 of 54 12345112651 ... LastLast