Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: The Rich Are Really Getting Richer

Quote Originally Posted by MJ2004 View Post
    This sort of fits into this thread:

Just read that the president of the Boston food bank earns $400k/yr. This, to me, is obscene. Yes, they're a huge organization and they do a lot of good, and yes, a well paid highly competent person is needed to run this organization, but there should be an upper bound of decency.

The thing that also kills is that in 2006 she was earning $115k. So in the past 4 years her salary has quadrupled. I don't get it.

The recent trend in presidents/CEO's skyrocketing salaries has also transferred into the non-profit world (at least with the larger organizations), which makes it very sad.
    I agree, that is obscene. I think the 115k is damned close to obscene. It seems that in all areas of the business world, executives make outrageously large salaries. Has it always been like this and we guys at the bottom are just finding this out?
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Yahoo has this article today:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_census_poverty
    Missing winter...

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Yahoo has this article today:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_census_poverty
    All the more reason why we have to protect the rich... You know, to make sure it all trickles down the way it's supposed to.

Goldman Sachs CEO Blankfein Is Awarded $12.6 Million in Stock

Goldman Sachs Group Inc. gave Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Blankfein a $12.6 million stock bonus for 2010, an increase from $9 million in restricted stock a year earlier. Continue.
    ---
    Why does this bother me? Why does it upset me? Am I just jealous? Envious? Am I just a 2011 dirty commie rat? Were I Egyptian would I be throwing rocks at tanks?
    Missing winter...

And if the Rich are getting Richer, of course the poor are getting poorer:
    Food Prices Push 44 Million Into Poverty: World Bank

Reuters: Rising global food prices has pushed an estimated 44 million more people into extreme poverty in developing countries over the past eight months, the World Bank said Tuesday.
    Continue...

In unrelated news, BHP Billington reported revenues of US$ 10.5 Billion FOR THE SECOND HALF OF 2010. Which brings us back to the original thread.
    Missing winter...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    And if the Rich are getting Richer, of course the poor are getting poorer:
    Food Prices Push 44 Million Into Poverty: World Bank

Reuters: Rising global food prices has pushed an estimated 44 million more people into extreme poverty in developing countries over the past eight months, the World Bank said Tuesday.
    Continue...

In unrelated news, BHP Billington reported revenues of US$ 10.5 Billion FOR THE SECOND HALF OF 2010. Which brings us back to the original thread.
    As you say, unrelated news.

Investment by those bad corporations has pulled millions of people out of poverty, as well. As do open and free markets.

Maybe instead of decrying profits by corporations and thinking how to grab them, governemnts could devote more of their energy to work for free trade, especially in agriculture, instead of ceding to every protectionist demands of the farming industry? I'm sure that would have a bigger effect on food prices and poverty reduction.
    with Elena at IW 09!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manolo View Post
    Maybe instead of decrying profits by corporations and thinking how to grab them, governemnts could devote more of their energy to work for free trade, especially in agriculture, instead of ceding to every protectionist demands of the farming industry? I'm sure that would have a bigger effect on food prices and poverty reduction.
    Thank you. Getting mad at Joe Billionaire seems pointless to me.

Free trade in agriculture?

Not in my lifetime.

Please define "farming industry."

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    Thank you. Getting mad at Joe Billionaire seems pointless to me.
    Not sure anyone is getting mad at Joe Billionaire at all.

And speaking of the farming "industry":

I, for one, abhor the economic policies, including farm subsidies that don't support farmers at all, but instead support the expansion of Monsanto and its poisonous crop mutations, that squash the small farmer through regulation after regulation after regulation and keep them from even competing in a "free" market to begin with.

I'm a small farmer. It's not pretty.

To say nothing of the tax code and all of its support for the wealthiest of the wealthy.

I know wealthy people. And not a single wealthy person I know complains about his/her tax rate. Not a single one.

This isn't about class warfare. It's about imbalance. An imbalance so profound, it's creating a growing group of people living in shadows many of us have never even seen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Free trade in agriculture?

Not in my lifetime.
    We certainly can agree on the fact that it won't happen in our lifetimes. But I don't think that is a good thing.

Not sure anyone is getting mad at Joe Billionaire at all.

And speaking of the farming "industry":

I, for one, abhor the economic policies, including farm subsidies that don't support farmers at all, but instead support the expansion of Monsanto and its poisonous crop mutations, that squash the small farmer through regulation after regulation after regulation and keep them from even competing in a "free" market to begin with.

I'm a small farmer. It's not pretty.

To say nothing of the tax code and all of its support for the wealthiest of the wealthy.

I know wealthy people. And not a single wealthy person I know complains about his/her tax rate. Not a single one.

This isn't about class warfare. It's about imbalance. An imbalance so profound, it's creating a growing group of people living in shadows many of us have never even seen.
    About the farming industry: i'm using the term loosely to include all the sector of the economy that benefits from subsidies and protection that keeps prices higher that they would be if we had free trade.

And maybe Monsanto's products can get crops to yield more and thus create more supply to drive prices down and help those poor people. But I agree with you in that they should not be getting subsidies. And then, if some people want to keep producing without pesticides or chemical products, good, there's a market for pesticide-free products, and they can even charge a premium for them. There's room for all.

About those tax rates: It looks like we've been talking to different people.
    Last edited by manolo; 02-16-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    with Elena at IW 09!!!!

We certainly can agree on the fact that it won't happen in our lifetimes. But I don't think that is a good thing.

About the farming industry: i'm using the term loosely to include all the sector of the economy that benefits from subsidies and protection that keeps prices higher that they would be if we had free trade.

And maybe Monsanto's products can get crops to yield more and thus create more supply to drive prices down and help those poor people. But I agree with you in that they should not be getting subsidies. And then, if some people want to keep producing without pesticides or chemical products, good, there's a market for pesticide-free products, and they can even charge a premium for them. There's room for all.

About those tax rates: It looks like we've been talking to different people.
    Food prices in global markets are not determined by supply and demand. They're determined, largely, these days, anyway, by fuel prices. (Not to mention price fixing.) Commodity crops especially. Yield simply doesn't determine price in Big Agriculture. I can't say I remember the last time that was true, but it hasn't been true for most, if not all, of my lifetime. I'm 43.

Food prices in smaller markets can be determined by supply and demand, but mostly are determined by the price a customer is willing to pay for a quality product.

Monsanto crops aren't produced for food. They're produce for trade. Huge difference.
    Last edited by craighickman; 02-16-2011 at 12:39 PM.

There could be a new show called "Name That Economic System".

What would you name this system?

::

The government subsidizes commodity "farmers" to produce and sell their commodity crops (or livestock) at a price lower than the cost of production.

The corporations who contract with these commodity "farmers" require upgrades in machinery and facilities that keeps these commodity "farmers" in debt for the rest of their lives. The "farmers" never see a profit, no matter what. The corporations who contract with these "farmers", however, are among the biggest agricultural conglomerates on the globe and see profits even in economic downturns.

The name of this economic system is...

Blog Entries

There could be a new show called "Name That Economic System".

What would you name this system?

The government subsidizes commodity "farmers" to produce and sell their commodity crops (or livestock) at a price lower than the cost of production.

The corporations who contract with these commodity "farmers" require upgrades in machinery and facilities that keeps these commodity "farmers" in debt for the rest of their lives. The "farmers" never see a profit, no matter what. The corporations who contract with these "farmers", however, are among the biggest agricultural conglomerates on the globe and see profits even in economic downturns.

But I'm sure that government's politicians must be saying stuff like "these subsidies will provide for food safety and help the poor and are not trade-distorting". All of which are false.
    Last edited by manolo; 02-16-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    with Elena at IW 09!!!!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Quick Words Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beats me. It's certainly not free-market capitalism, because free markets and subsidies don't go together.

But I'm sure that government's politicians must be saying stuff like "these subsidies will provide for food safety and help the poor and are not trade-distorting". All of which are false.
    Nope. That's not what they say at all. Not in these United States, anyway.

Textbook "free-market capitalism" simply doesn't exist, manolo. Not globally. Not locally. It's a seductive theory, but it ain't real. As I've said before, markets simply aren't "free" and haven't been for centuries.

As for helping the poor, well, that's what charity is for, according to the "government politicians" you think say these things.
    Last edited by craighickman; 02-16-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast