Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: The Rich Are Really Getting Richer

Quote Originally Posted by manolo View Post
    You're entitled to that view. But for me, greed is mostly good.
    And the concept of "sin" doesn't resonate with me, so I won't even consider that as an argument. The "seven deadly sins" is a nice concept for inspiring The Divine Comedy, but not for a discussion on economics.
    Sometimes you take me too seriously, manolo. I don't believe in sin at all. I referenced it for those who do.

Greed is toxic, though. On that, we'll just disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by manolo View Post
    Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind". Not just money, see? If you use that one, yes, use Manolo Gekko.
    You can't hoard life, love, or knowledge. And least not how I define those things. You may have an unbridled passion for life, a relentless capacity to love, and an insatiable desire for knowledge, but none of that comes from greed.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    You can't hoard life, love, or knowledge. And least not how I define those things. You may have an unbridled passion for life, a relentless capacity to love, and an insatiable desire for knowledge, but none of that comes from greed.
    FWIW, I have seen what I would call hoarding of knowledge in the workplace. People who learn new things and actively try to keep others from learning, as though education is a zero-sum game.
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    FWIW, I have seen what I would call hoarding of knowledge in the workplace. People who learn new things and actively try to keep others from learning, as though education is a zero-sum game.
    Ah. Okay. Never been in workplace environment where this would even have a chance of being true. I guess that means you can be greedy with knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I have worked for people like that. The most detrimental vermin in a workplace.
    They have actually told me not to waste my time teaching others. Wonder how long I lasted in that job (I did not quit, I was fired. Something to do with corporate culture).
    Starry starry night

The Great Recession and the slump that followed have triggered a jobs crisis that's been making headlines since before President Obama was in office, and that will likely be with us for years. But the American economy is also plagued by a less-noted, but just as serious, problem: Simply put, over the last 30 years, the gap between rich and poor has widened into a chasm.

Gradual developments like this don't typically lend themselves to news coverage. But Mother Jones magazine has crunched the data on inequality, and put together a group of stunning new charts. Taken together, they offer a dramatic visual illustration of who's doing well and who's doing badly in modern America.

Here are three samples:

• This chart shows that the poorest 90 percent of Americans make an average of $31,244 a year, while the top 1 percent make over $1.1 million:
    rest: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-rich-poor-gap
    Meet again we do, old foe...

I was going to post that same article.
    Another one of those situations in the USA that are unsustainable?
    Starry starry night

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    I was going to post that same article.
    Another one of those situations in the USA that are unsustainable?
    And when you relate this to what's happening in Wisconsin...

I can easily imagine a scenario where there's a big showdown between people and corporation interests. If the latter should win... I shudder what would become of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    And when you relate this to what's happening in Wisconsin...

I can easily imagine a scenario where there's a big showdown between people and corporation interests. If the latter should win... I shudder what would become of the country.
    We return to colonial times.

We return to colonial times.
    I think worse. Some England 17th - 18th century situation... very Oliver Twist.

I think worse. Some England 17th - 18th century situation... very Oliver Twist.
    Slavery and genocide existed/happened in the New World colonies.

Slavery and genocide existed/happened in the New World colonies.
    I know. I just have a different mental image of the situation.

You two put me in mind of this. It's George Carlin so it's foul:

Carlin on Corporate Govt.
    Blue Steel

It's a serious problem or at least it could be if things goes on like this, but let me point out that 31,000$ per year is an enormous amount of money by world standards. Income like that is an unachievable dream for most of the humanity... We on this board are not only much smarter than an average human, but much richer too...
    Roger forever

Somebody please clone George Carlin back to life. Please.
    (And Abraham Lincoln too).
    Starry starry night

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast