Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: UPDATED Mens Picks and Results Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccabxl View Post
    So, if the final is Murray/Djokovic, will you award 12 medals?
    Sweet
    Yes we would, Rebecca.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

With Tomas winning the first match, it looks like we will end up with either 2 or 6 medal winners. We have two people that will have a pick left if Andy wins, and 6 that will have a pick left if Rafa wins.

So from a start of 376, we will finish the game with either 2 or 6 winners. Once again, our SPs prove to be a tremendously difficult game to survive. And Wimbledon, we all believe, is the easiest of the 4 Slams, given that the draws come together for the R16, and you only have to make 10 choices (the other Slams are either 12 or 13).

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Our semifinal count has us starting at 58, with 2 no picks taking us down to 56.

Leading in the count today is Rafa "Grass is for Spaniards" Nadal, with 32. Second is Tomas "did you really mean to save me for the semis?" Berdych, with 12. Third is Andy "the brother without a Slam" Murray, at 10. And bringing up the rear, Novak "hey, I am ranked ahead of Federer, but don't tell my mom" Djokovic with 2.

I'll try to fashion some finals scenarios in a bit.
    56 - 2 (Djokovic) = 54

54 - 10 (Murray) = 44

44 - 38 (out of picks) = 6 who live to make a pick for Day 13/Men's final

It sucks to lose because you ran out of picks. Second SP in a row for me that ended like that

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kmart93 View Post
    It sucks to lose because you ran out of picks. Second SP in a row for me that ended like that
    That's part of what makes the game work though, Kmart. Either knowing who to save, or having made some tough choices that result in your lucking out and saving the right player. Like this time, so many used Berdych too early (he was a big Day 5 and Day 7 pick!), but enough people were smart enough to save him then.

But you are right...it does suck to get this far, and not have a final pick available. I think the collective blame for that can fall on Mr. Federer's shoulders.

This is very exciting--I've never made it this far. One question -- can I make my finals pick (Nadal, since I picked Berdych today) today? I may not have access to a computer tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    That's part of what makes the game work though, Kmart. Either knowing who to save, or having made some tough choices that result in your lucking out and saving the right player. Like this time, so many used Berdych too early (he was a big Day 5 and Day 7 pick!), but enough people were smart enough to save him then.

But you are right...it does suck to get this far, and not have a final pick available. I think the collective blame for that can fall on Mr. Federer's shoulders.
    Haha I know. It's Federer's sudden struggles that have doomed me in both. I took Soderling at the French in the 4th, and Berdych here in the 4th, assuming both would lose to Federer. In years past you wouldn't even think twice about him losing to either player.

First time getting to final..
    Also first time running out of pack..
    Well..I guess that is not bad...

That is the problem of SP.
    I did think of saving Berdych, as I am secretly not very confident of Federer's ability to beat him, but there is almost no seemingly SAFE choice on that part of the draw for a couple of rounds..

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    This is very exciting--I've never made it this far. One question -- can I make my finals pick (Nadal, since I picked Berdych today) today? I may not have access to a computer tomorrow.
    You should email your pick to tatpicks@yahoo.com.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    You should email your pick to tatpicks@yahoo.com.
    Thanks! Will do.

I was so close! I should have chosen Murray on Wednesday instead of Nadal!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiriS View Post
    I was so close! I should have chosen Murray on Wednesday instead of Nadal!
    You were in until the end, TiriS. So, so close.

Well, I know no one's paying any attention to posts made here anymore, but I was away and didnt get a chance, so I just wanted to chime in and thank all the organizers of this loathsome, noxious competition, and congratulate the winners.

This time I actually got to the final, but like so many others was undone by the hapless Fed....who woulda thunk it? I would have picked him for the semis, and then, despite being a huge fan - somewhat less so right now - was prepared to pick against him in the final; I had it all figured out, just like everybody else. Suffice it to say, he's off my Christmas card list! And I suppose Andy Murray will have to wait at least another year for that knighthood. British when he wins, Scottish when he loses.

A giraffe goes into a bar and says, "The highballs are on me".

Flushing meadows, here we come.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234