You Canít Win Jack Contest - French Open 2010

The 2010 French Open "You Can't Win Jack" will be a medal-awarding contest for the first-place winner(s) only.

Anyone can pick the menís and womenís singles winners of the 2010 French Open, but it takes real talent to spot the ultimate LOSER of the event. The Wooden Spoon Award goes to the last place finisher of a competition Ė in tennis terms, itís the player whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, whose conqueror loses in the next round, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooden_spoon_%28award%29

At the 2010 Australian Open, Ioana Raluca Olaru was the wooden spoon winner on the women's side. She lost to Kateryna Bondarenko in the first round, who lost to Elena Baltacha in the second round, who lost to Dinara Safina in the third round, who lost to Maria Kirilenko in the fourth round, who lost to Zheng Jie in the quarterfinals, who lost to Justine Henin in the semifinals, who lost to Serena Williams in the final. Maybe the fact that more surnames tends to equate to more WTA clay court success will help her in the French Open.

Not to be outdone, Robin Haase was the ultimate loser on the men's side. He lost to Tomas Berdych, who lost to Evgeny Korolev, who lost to Fernando Gonzalez, who lost to Andy Roddick, who lost to Marin Cilic, who lost to Andy Murray, who lost to Roger Federer.

That's how Ioana Raluca Olaru and Robin Haase captured the boobie prizes in TAT YCWJ tennis at the 2009 US Open!

ENTRY: To enter the 2010 French Open "You Can't Win Jack" contest, pick the names of four menís singles contestants and four womenís singles contestants who you think are the most likely to finish in ďlast placeĒ in their respective draws. Rank those players 1-4, with #1 being your most likely to finish ďlastĒ.

These picks carry through the rest of the tournament. So if your picks lose in the first round Ė and you hope they do! Ė the players who beat your picks become your new selections in the 2R, and so on, until the finals (if youíre luckyÖ).

SCORING: For each round that one of your entries remains in the running, you earn a point. Bonus points are earned based on your selected rank of your four picks. You get a multiplier for bonus points Ė your number 1 pick gets a bonus of (x4), #2 pick gets a bonus of (x3), #3 pick gets a bonus of (x2) and #4 pick gets a bonus of (x1).

EXAMPLE: Using the 2009 Australian Open as an example, letís say Bernard Tomic was my #1 pick in the Wooden Spoon contest. Since he won in the 1R, I get no points. But Oscar Hernandez was my #2 pick, and he lost to Janko Tipsarevic. So I get a point for Hernandez' loss, and Tipsarevic automatically becomes my 2R pick. As my #2 pick, any points I earned from Hernandez - and from Tipsarevic in the next round, etc. - get multiplied by (x3).

BONUS POINTS: At the 2009 US Open, a bonus point system was initiated. Bonus points were awarded to anyone who picked the actual Wooden Spoon Winner(s) (unfortunately no one did for either men or women). That system will still be in place at the 2010 French Open. There will be a 5 point bonus x the weight of pick.

#1 confidence pick = 5 bonus points x 4 = 20 bonus points
#2 confidence pick = 5 bonus points x 3 = 15 bonus ponits
#3 confidence pick = 5 bonus points x 2 = 10 bonus points
#4 confidence pick = 5 bonus points x 1 = 5 bonus points

HINTS:
* To make it easy on yourself, fill out a full drawsheet, then trace backwards through the draw to find your ultimate losers!

* Itís not enough to pick players who you think will lose first round, because you'll need the winner of the match to lose in the next round.

NOTE: If any player that you select withdraws before his/her first round match, and you do not change your pick, you will be assigned the player who takes your original selection's place in the draw.

Entries are due before the start of main draw play at the French Open on Sunday, May 23.

Good Luck to all entrants

Post Your Picks Here:

Ask Questions Here: