Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    52,097

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Awful draw for Gasquet. But I still think he can beat Mopey Murray.

    Fed just can't shake Ernie. Of course, it's a moot point if Bad Ernie shows up in Paris.

    Would love to see Youzhny make the semis. He's got a great shot.

    I don't know if I want Fed-Gulbis (which I think Fed wins this time) more or Cilic to have a good week+.




    Any bets on withdrawals besides Tursunov? (He said he won't play until Wimbledon, but he's also known to play with injuries and is entered into Nottingham)


  2. #32
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    omess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,940

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Awful draw for Gasquet. But I still think he can beat Mopey Murray.

    Fed just can't shake Ernie .Of course, it's a moot point if Bad Ernie shows up in Paris.

    Would love to see Youzhny make the semis. He's got a great shot.
    Feds had already his revenge in Madrid.He leads 2-1 now
    Last edited by omess; 05-21-2010 at 10:37 AM.

  3. #33
    Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    dryrunguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    53,560
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    I don't know if I want Fed-Gulbis (which I think Fed wins this time) more or Cilic to have a good week+.
    I don't see Ernie beating Fed in best of 5. Best of 3 is very possible. But not best of 5.

    But I'd be thrilled of Ch- Ch- Ch- Cilic gets through! (Thanks for that, shtexas. I still use it whenever possible!)
    Tiz the Dude! Now a winner after his second race!

  4. #34
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    shtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    25,566

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I don't see Ernie beating Fed in best of 5. Best of 3 is very possible. But not best of 5.

    But I'd be thrilled of Ch- Ch- Ch- Cilic gets through! (Thanks for that, shtexas. I still use it whenever possible!)


  5. #35
    Slam Watcher rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Wow, that's a really tough draw for Roger. Tipsarevic, Lopez, Monfils, Gulbis/Cilic/Soderling, Murray....

    Nadal has an easier road, I think at least initially, unless Ljubicic suddenly finds his form from earlier this season.

  6. #36

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by suliso View Post
    I say three semi finalists are fairly obvious - Federer (outside chance for Soderling and Gulbis), Ferrer/Djokovic and Nadal, but how about the fourth? It's such a week quarter... Robredo maybe?
    You mean slam specialist Robredo? Or the Robredo who has been injured and skipped most of the clay season?



    Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Awful draw for Gasquet. But I still think he can beat Mopey Murray.

    .
    Please, can we show some respect? The title of Mopey belongs to Federer until he retires.

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Wow, that's a really tough draw for Roger. Tipsarevic, Lopez, Monfils, Gulbis/Cilic/Soderling, Murray....

    Nadal has an easier road, I think at least initially, unless Ljubicic suddenly finds his form from earlier this season.
    Lopez on clay? No way

    Cilic, Soderling and Murray all have the talent, but based on their clay season, will pose no threat.

    Honestly, Gulbis looms as the biggest threat there, or a spectator-inspired Monfils.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  7. #37
    Slam Watcher rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    8,195

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    Lopez on clay? No way

    Cilic, Soderling and Murray all have the talent, but based on their clay season, will pose no threat.

    Honestly, Gulbis looms as the biggest threat there, or a spectator-inspired Monfils.
    Talent is enough. I'm not sure how much the other clay court tournaments really matter, for people other than Rafa. Soderling last year showed up only for RG. Montanes won Estoril and then went down in the first round of RG. I could easily see Soderling or Cilic suddenly score a big win...

  8. #38
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

    Moose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Phoenixville PA
    Posts
    39,136
    Blog Entries
    28

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Wow, that's a really tough draw for Roger. Tipsarevic, ...
    I've probably shown I am not a huge fan over the years, but my single favorite Roger match was the '08 AO 3rd rounder against Tipsy.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

  9. #39

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Talent is enough. I'm not sure how much the other clay court tournaments really matter, for people other than Rafa. Soderling last year showed up only for RG. Montanes won Estoril and then went down in the first round of RG. I could easily see Soderling or Cilic suddenly score a big win...
    I agree with Soderling. But Murray -and Cilic to a lesser extent- strike me as more "get into the motion" games.

    Though cilic did win a clay tournament a few weeks ago, so his form may not be too bad.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  10. #40
    Everyday Warrior MJ2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,199

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    Wow, that's a really tough draw for Roger. Tipsarevic, Lopez, Monfils, Gulbis/Cilic/Soderling, Murray....

    Nadal has an easier road, I think at least initially, unless Ljubicic suddenly finds his form from earlier this season.
    I think it's a pretty reasonable draw for Roger. To get to the semis (which, if he does, mission accomplished, really):

    Tipsy is not exactly the model of consistency, and Roger doesn't have mono now.
    F-Lo is not exactly showing stellar clay form, and has to get through a potentially tricky Rochus (who loves the clay).
    Wawrinka he owns; Monfils could be fun, but Roger can handle him.
    Winner of Cilic/Gulbis (can't wait for that one - Vamos Marin!) and Soderling - yes, there's more power in this bunch, but Roger has a pretty good record against them. I'll take his chances on clay in five sets.

  11. #41
    Director of Nothing
    Forum Moderator

    Awards Showcase

    mmmm8's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York, New York, United States
    Posts
    52,097

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Drop-shot View Post
    I agree with Soderling. But Murray -and Cilic to a lesser extent- strike me as more "get into the motion" games.

    Though cilic did win a clay tournament a few weeks ago, so his form may not be too bad.
    He lost to Youzhny in the Munich final. Even if he's found his form, I like his chances against Gulbis, but not against Soderling


  12. #42

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by mmmm8 View Post
    He lost to Youzhny in the Munich final. Even if he's found his form, I like his chances against Gulbis, but not against Soderling
    , I was thinking of the semifinal against Baghdatis.
    Meet again we do, old foe...

  13. #43

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    I wonder if Roddick can repeat his 4th round from last year. Even without any clay matches, he can't complain about that draw until Ferrer (who will frustrate the hell out of him).
    Avatar: Munchin's Favorite Matches - #10 - Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras - 2000 Australian Open SF

    "If I didn't play tennis, I would probably have to go see a psychiatrist" - Arthur Ashe

  14. #44

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    It seems that if Fed plays poorly, he could lose to any of the seeded players in his section. However, if he plays reasonably well (by his standards), his draw is a cakewalk to the final. His only tricky match will be in the QF where presumably it will be Fed vs. Cilic/Gulbis/Montanes/Soderling.

    For that matter, Nadal has a slightly more trickier path to the final with a potential QF against Verdasco and a semi against Ferrer/Djokovic.

    Of course, seeing how all of this plays out is half the fun!
    Towel Avatar, do your thing!

  15. #45
    Grand Slam Champion
    Awards Showcase

    omess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, Canada
    Posts
    8,940

    Re: RG Men's Singles Draw and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    It seems that if Fed plays poorly, he could lose to any of the seeded players in his section. However, if he plays reasonably well (by his standards), his draw is a cakewalk to the final. His only tricky match will be in the QF where presumably it will be Fed vs. Cilic/Gulbis/Montanes/Soderling.

    For that matter, Nadal has a slightly more trickier path to the final with a potential QF against Verdasco and a semi against Ferrer/Djokovic.

    Of course, seeing how all of this plays out is half the fun!
    Same for me. Verdasco, Ferrer are no threat to him on clay. Djokovic health is uncertain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •