Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Apples and oranges..IMO, Obama is not even close to the effective President that Clinton was.
    Um. Well.

May I ask that you check how much of their legislative agenda each had achieved at this point in their respective presidencies and then please define for me what you mean by "effective".

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    One of my favorite scenes from West Wing. The Republican controlled congress has made a deal with the Democratic president on a continuing resolution which includes a 1% cut in federal spending.

Very topical.

Shut it down - West Wing
    Good one.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Um. Well.

May I ask that you check how much of their legislative agenda each had achieved at this point in their respective presidencies and then please define for me what you mean by "effective".

Thank you.
    He HAS gotten a lot done, he HAS also failed the LGBT community a lot up to this date also.
    Open wide.

In what ways has he failed the gay community?
    Blue Steel

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post

You didn't get the memo? He's failed everyone.

Except for people hoping for a cure for Alzheimer's and other degenerative brain/neurological diseases.

And the unemployed.

And people who believe in open competition in defense contracting compared to multimillion dollar sole source contracts to companies owned by friends of a VP or a member of Congress.

And GM retirees.

And about three-fourths of those in the U.S. without health coverage.

And those who believe in the Freedom of Information Act which was trampled upon by the Bush Administration.

And those who believe that credit card companies shouldn't be able to financially rape their most vulnerable customers.

And those who think lobbyists should have restricted access to the White House and White House personnel.

And those who think Wall Street shouldn't be able to run rampant with its greed and play monopoly with our money.

I'm sure there's more. But in the end, he's really done nothing of substance.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I'm the first to criticize the President on broken promises. Especially his choice to not invoke his executive power to place a stop on DADT discharges. However...

Obama signs first major federal gay-rights law

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama on Wednesday signed the first major piece of federal gay rights legislation, a milestone that activists compared to the passage of 1960s civil-rights legislation empowering blacks.

The new law adds acts of violence against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people to the list of federal hate crimes.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/10/2...r-federal.html
    Obama condemns Uganda anti-gay bill as "odius"

(Reuters) - U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday denounced as "odious" a proposed anti-gay law in Uganda that has drawn international condemnation.

"We may disagree about gay marriage, but surely we can agree that it is unconscionable to target gays and lesbians for who they are -- whether it's here in the United States or ... more extremely in odious laws that are being proposed most recently in Uganda," Obama told the National Prayer Breakfast.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6134EZ20100204
    Obama extends benefits to gay couples

President Obama sought to restore some of his faded lustre among gay rights groups yesterday with an order that extends some married couple benefits to the same sex partners of federal government employees.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6524410.ece
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

DADT still in place and HIS justice dept continuing to file to keep in place.
    Failed to directly address same-sex marriage battles in Maine, Washington state and the District of Columbia, even when he was there.
    Nothing about prop 8, nothing.
    Sure we got long-term-care insurance and the right to use sick leave to care for domestic partners, but we really wanted more valuable benefits, such as health insurance and retirement funds.
    ENDA nothing, nothing at all.
    DOMA still being defended vigorously, which makes sense anyhow because he doesn't believe that gay ppl should be able to marry, which until he changes his stance on that, he's a bigot.
    Open wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I'm the first to criticize the President on broken promises. Especially his choice to not invoke his executive power to place a stop on DADT discharges. However...
    He signed the hate crimes bill, but that was ALL Judy Sheppard that got that done, he did shit for that.
    Open wide.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Yahtzee Champion, Slingo Para-Dice Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure things will get much better for gay folks when Sarah Palin or Jeb Bush wins the White House.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    I'm sure things will get much better for gay folks when Sarah Palin or Jeb Bush wins the White House.
    No, it won't, but I certainly don't sit by and praise the lesser of 2 evils, may be lesser but still an evil. I don't tolerate anyone that can't advocate equal rights for everyone. So just because your name isn't Palin or Bush, doesn't mean you have the LGBT community's back.
    Open wide.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    No, it won't, but I certainly don't sit by and praise the lesser of 2 evils, may be lesser but still an evil. I don't tolerate anyone that can't advocate equal rights for everyone. So just because your name isn't Palin or Bush, doesn't mean you have the LGBT community's back.
    You know... I think I agree with you on this, Owen. The President has done more than Bush ever did (or would even think of doing) for the GLBT community. But, after the dust settles, I'm disappointed in President Obama. And not just on GLBT issues.

Just because the alternative would be worse doesn't mean the current administration is 'good'. On the contrary.

If things don't change, I hope President Obama doesn't face a strong primary opponent or his could be one of the shortest political careers of any President.

These are still incredibly divisive issues. If some people think that Obama should have spent his entire political capital on one single agenda, fine. But I don't see the rationale in that, particularly in this current political/economic environment.

I also have serious doubts that the rhetoric would be the same were Hillary Clinton president instead, but I'll leave that one alone.
    Blue Steel

These are still incredibly divisive issues. If some people think that Obama should have spent his entire political capital on one single agenda, fine. But I don't see the rationale in that, particularly in this current political/economic environment.

I also have serious doubts that the rhetoric would be the same were Hillary Clinton president instead, but I'll leave that one alone.
    It's how Presidents handle these divisive issues that define their terms in office, so far he's not going to be highly regarded. He used all his political capital on healthcare, which was neutered. You're only guaranteed 1 term when elected, so he could choose to do the right thing, which he hasn't yet, he's pandering to the right who would like nothing more that gay ppl to disappear. If Obama had an accurate moral compass he would tell the right to f off and stick to his agenda, but he doesn't he kisses their asses and then looks like an ass.
    Open wide.

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

Sigh. No matter what, Obama can't win.
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And it's not just the President. Harry Reid and his senate have also been less than strong.

I'm curious to see how this current lame-duck tax debate turns out in congress.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast