Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

Obama to call for 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' repeal, adviser says
    By Laurie Ure, CNN Pentagon Producer
    January 27, 2010 -- Updated 2336 GMT (0736 HKT)

Washington (CNN) -- President Obama will ask Congress Wednesday night to repeal the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that bars gays and lesbians from openly serving in, White House Senior Adviser David Axelrod told CNN.

The request will be included in the president's State of the Union address, Axelrod said.

The issue has been a source of contention for heavy hitters on both sides of the issue, who are lining up for a fight.

In a message to Pentagon leadership, Gen. John Shalikashvili, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said it's time to repeal the law.

"As a nation built on the principal of equality, we should recognize and welcome change that will build a stronger more cohesive military," said Shalikashvili. His letter was sent out Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-New York, who supports repealing the policy.

House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, flatly disagreed with the idea of ending it.

"When it comes to 'don't ask don't tell,' frankly, I think it's worked very well. And we just ought to leave it alone," he said to reporters Wednesday morning.

Weigh in on the President's address

The policy prohibits openly gay men and women from serving in the U.S. armed forces.

The policy bans military recruiters or authorities from asking about an individual's sexual orientation, but also prohibits a service member from revealing that he or she is gay.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Michigan, who told reporters on Monday that the president would discuss the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in his speech, supports ending the practice, but wants to go about it carefully.

Levin said he did not have any details about what the president would say.

"If we do this in a way which isn't sensitive ... we could have exactly the opposite effect of what I hope will be the case -- which is to change the policy," he said Monday.

Levin said the committee plans to hold hearings on the issue in early February, although the hearing may be with outside experts -- delaying a hearing with Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Joint Chiefs Chairman Adm. Michael Mullen, that had originally been promised, CNN was told by a congressional source.

Obama campaigned on the promise that he would repeal the law in his first year of office.

Speaking to the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign, in October, Obama admitted that "our progress may be taking longer than we like," but he insisted his administration was still on track to overturn the policy.

"Do not doubt the direction we are heading and the destination we will reach," he said.

Pentagon Spokesman Geoff Morrell deflected repeated questions about the policy at Wednesday's Pentagon briefing, directing reporters to take their questions to the White House.

"We continue to work on this problem," said Morrell. "But I'm not going to get into it with more specificity than that."
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

It's such an incredibly stupid policy to begin with that it is a travesty that it has taken this long for politicians to move forward with the repeal. I'm real pleased to see it is part of tonight's speech.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And there it is.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Hey hey hey
    What did I tell you before when I was up
    Anxiety was bringing me down
    I'm tired of listening to you talking in rhymes
    Twisting round to make me think you're straight down the line
    All you do to me is talk talk
    Talk
    talk talk talk
    Open wide.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    Hey hey hey
    What did I tell you before when I was up
    Anxiety was bringing me down
    I'm tired of listening to you talking in rhymes
    Twisting round to make me think you're straight down the line
    All you do to me is talk talk
    Talk
    talk talk talk
    I love Talk Talk. I wanted to throw a tomato at Gwen and the boys for remaking "It's My Life".

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I love Talk Talk. I wanted to throw a tomato at Gwen and the boys for remaking "It's My Life".
    She really didn't capture the essence of that song did she?
    Open wide.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

She really didn't capture the essence of that song did she?
    There was a sense of desperation in the original that was completely missed by Gwen's breathy, non-emotive vocals. There's some No Doubt stuff I really enjoy, but it was a huge mistake for them to remake this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    There was a sense of desperation in the original that was completely missed by Gwen's breathy, non-emotive vocals. There's some No Doubt stuff I really enjoy, but it was a huge mistake for them to remake this.
    That's what I was thinking, I found the Talk Talk version much darker.
    Open wide.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

And there's another thread TATjacked.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

When DADT was first announced, I thought it was a big step forward. Only later did I realize the inherent problems with the policy. I didn't know Obama planned on dealing with it this year. I was pleasantly surprised while watching tonight's speech.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    When DADT was first announced, I thought it was a big step forward. Only later did I realize the inherent problems with the policy. I didn't know Obama planned on dealing with it this year. I was pleasantly surprised while watching tonight's speech.
    He risked the LGBT vote which I think is at least 7.5 million strong if he didn't address it.
    Open wide.

I don't recall Obama promising to end DADT in his first year, but if someone has the source, please remind me.

He risked the LGBT vote which I think is at least 7.5 million strong if he didn't address it.
    I'll remain a broken record on this as well:

It didn't hurt President Clinton one bit with the LGBT vote.

Tour Champion
    Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    DADT is what happens when you have to make bi-partisan compromises, but I still think it was best for the Clinton administration to take what they could get on this one. I think this is better than what was before it and while I know it still isn't great, I do think it has lessened the violence toward homosexuals in the military to some extent and allowed the military to get comfortable with the idea that there may be gays among them. I think it was probably a good step forward for the 1990s, but it has long passed its usefulness. Now it is harming the military, it is harming gay soldiers, and it's past time it was repealed.

Where could the vote go? to Palin? That tends to be the problem with lots of groups on the Left (which tends to include human rights groups), there isn't really a viable alternative. Lots of the Right wants to pass constitutional amendments to define marriage as traditional marriage and staying home increases those odds. I know there are lots of wealthy LGBT contributors, and that's important to any candidate, but...

I vote for people based on their stance on LGBT issues...in the primaries. I will vote against a strong incumbent Democrat for someone who supports LGBT issues. But in the general?
    Last edited by jadesa; 01-27-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadesa View Post
    DADT is what happens when you have to make bi-partisan compromises, but I still think it was best for the Clinton administration to take what they could get on this one. I think this is better than what was before it and while I know it still isn't great, I do think it has lessened the violence toward homosexuals in the military to some extent and allowed the military to get comfortable with the idea that there may be gays among them. I think it was probably a good step forward for the 1990s, but it has long passed its usefulness. Now it is harming the military, it is harming gay soldiers, and it's past time it was repealed.

Where could the vote go? to Palin? That tends to be the problem with lots of groups on the Left (which tends to include human rights groups), there isn't really a viable alternative. Lots of the Right wants to pass constitutional amendments to define marriage as traditional marriage and staying home increases those odds. I know there are lots of wealthy LGBT contributors, and that's important to any candidate, but...

I vote for people based on their stance on LGBT issues...in the primaries. I will vote against a strong incumbent Democrat for someone who supports LGBT issues. But in the general?
    They wont vote. A lot have been witholding money from the DNC, HRC, GLAAD until some action is taken on promises made.
    Open wide.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast