Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    (I would be surprised if he changed his mind, but that was a 10 month old quote.)

Anyhoo, it's nice that a former step forward is now insanely old fashioned.
    Oops, I thought this whole thread was new. I hate numbers.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Democrat Mark Pryor has said that he will oppose the repeal.

I guess he's trying to avoid Blanche Lincoln's fate. Reelection über alles!
    Blue Steel

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've heard three different numbers on this, but it's not a small thing. either 40% (or 48%, or 56%) of active combat Marines, are opposed to the repeal. Even if it's the lowest, 40%, that's a lot of Marine's who don't like it.

Despite the publication of this report, I don't think DADT will be repealed this time around.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

How awesome would it be if they repeal DADT and it turns out that everyone in the military was actually gay all along. I've seen American Beauty, I know how it works!
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    How awesome would it be if they repeal DADT and it turns out that everyone in the military was actually gay all along. I've seen American Beauty, I know how it works!
    Must not make "invading Uranus" joke...

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

still waiting, 17 years to the day. Has John McCain died yet?
    Open wide.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    I've heard three different numbers on this, but it's not a small thing. either 40% (or 48%, or 56%) of active combat Marines, are opposed to the repeal. Even if it's the lowest, 40%, that's a lot of Marine's who don't like it.

Despite the publication of this report, I don't think DADT will be repealed this time around.
    Well, at least the report came out in time to be used as an argument to sway some people to vote for the repeal. The timing may not be the best, but it will only get worse as 2012 approaches, so it's a great thing that they're at least proposing it. If it fails, it will be at least more years before they can give it another try. I say good for Obama.
    with Elena at IW 09!!!!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

AP is reporting that GOP Senators have collectively signed a letter agreeing to obstruct all legislation brought to the floor until after the new session begins in January, excepting matters concerning tax cuts and government spending.

Basically, that means any repeal of DADT is DOA.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Grand Slam Champion missinandre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    AP is reporting that GOP Senators have collectively signed a letter agreeing to obstruct all legislation brought to the floor until after the new session begins in January, excepting matters concerning tax cuts and government spending.

Very disappointed in this news. Seems that the members of the GOP are just as juvenile as always. They don't want to legislate, they don't want to take care of the people....they just want to do everything they can to derail Obama. That's all life is about in Washington, derailing Obama. See...all they want to do is cut taxes for the wealthy and make Obama stop spending money.

I've always thought a healthy balance between the GOP and democrat members of congress was a good thing. They are proving me wrong on so many levels......
    ROGER / RAFA FINAL 2010 US OPEN!!!!!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post

Politico is telling the story slightly different:

GOP threatens to stall Senate action

By MANU RAJU | 12/1/10 9:33 AM EST Updated: 12/1/10 9:53 AM EST
    Senate Republicans are vowing to block all legislative business until Democrats hold votes to pass a funding bill to keep the government's lights on and extend the Bush-era tax cuts.

In a letter signed by all 42 Republicans, the conference warns it will filibuster any attempt to bring forward any bill besides those two measures. That could further complicate Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's desire to complete a laundry list of other bills in the final weeks of the 111th Congress

Citing the nation's high unemployment rate and the desire to "focus on creating an environment for private-sector job growth" Republicans are telling Reid "that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers.

"With little time left in this Congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities," the letter said. "While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz16s86hq1y
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Ok. I am not getting it.
    The GOP is allowing unemployment benefits to expire for more than 2 million people.
    They want to extend tax cuts for those making more than 250K/year.
    They will not even discuss DADT. Period. Period.
    Some of them are stating that the Wikileaks are an act of treason, perhaps not realizing that it is impossible for a NON AMERICAN to commit treason (are they so dumb they don't know the difference between TREASON and SPYING, which is the word they should be using?).
    So:
    When did the GOP become a Mafia? Because I don't get these people.
    (Rhetoric. I do get these people. They just make me sick).
    Starry starry night

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ponchi101 View Post
    Some of them are stating that the Wikileaks are an act of treason, perhaps not realizing that it is impossible for a NON AMERICAN to commit treason (are they so dumb they don't know the difference between TREASON and SPYING, which is the word they should be using?).
    Just to clarify, I think they want to find ways to shut the site down. Any references to treason are probably being pointed toward the American you leaked the docs, not Assange. Maybe?
    “I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know.” - Andy Roddick

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I do agree with pretty much all of ponchi's points. It's all about rhetoric, and this particular line of attack does have purchase even if it does not make any sense.

There was an interesting video of Tom Daschle floating around where he is bemoaning how Congress is in such disrepair that "once you have it, you can't do anything with it."

The cynic in me want to reply with "gee, I wonder how it got that way".
    I disapprove of this message

I wonder what would happen if every single lesbian and gay man in the military went to their commanding officer (and the media) on the same day and "told". I suspect that would also cause a fair amount of dissaray in the military. Not that everybody would now "know". But that troop strength would be significantly reduced. Do these idiots not understand that gay and lesbian blood runs just as red as theirs. Anyone who is willing to die for their country has a right to be honest about who they are!!!

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

One of my favorite scenes from West Wing. The Republican controlled congress has made a deal with the Democratic president on a continuing resolution which includes a 1% cut in federal spending.

Very topical.

Shut it down - West Wing
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast