Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

I'm a little surprised there isn't more celebrating.

Anyways, WOOOOT!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie02123 View Post
    I'm a little surprised there isn't more celebrating.

Anyways, WOOOOT!

He's proposed its elimination, Charlie. That doesn't make it a done deal. This is a Congress reluctant to act favorably on gay issues, and generally avoids hot button issues entirely in an election season, which we are now entering.

I think the celebrating will come when (and some might argue that "When" should be replaced with "if") it happens.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    Did they air a video or post a written promise from his original campaign website? I don't take their word on much regarding the president at this point.

I don't remember everything, and lately, my memory is slipping a lot, but I'd like a source that shows me in his owns words that he did.

Still won't change how I feel about the matter, but I'd like to know if the article is factually accurate or not.
    Nope. And I did some research last night and couldn't find anything to substantiate their reporting.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Nope. And I did some research last night and couldn't find anything to substantiate their reporting.
    I think the word reporting must be typed as "reporting" from now on.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    I think the word reporting must be typed as "reporting" from now on.
    LOL. I had to read that a few times before I got what you were saying. I agree.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm giving Geithner 30 days. The new AIG revelations, while he was in a position of authority in NY are far too damaging. I think the announcement will come shortly on the heels of Bernanke's reappointment tomorrow.
    I've been getting most of my news from TAT. Can you share the revelations? I'd love to see Geithner go.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

I've been getting most of my news from TAT. Can you share the revelations? I'd love to see Geithner go.
    Short version: Geithner is smack dab in the middle of a lot of new AIG revelations. While he was head of the NY Fed Reserve, AIG withheld information about large payments made to international banks. Geithner claims he knew nothing about them, but pretty much everyone is saying he's being disingenuous as best, and outright lying at worse.

Just about every major media source has called for his resignation. He's been testifying before the Senate this week, and they (both Ds and Rs) have pretty much crucified him. I think the only thing keeping him in office for the moment is the fact that Bernanke's renomination has been up in the air, and it would not be good if two of our most important financial positions in government were empty at the same time.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Thanks, Moose.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    He's proposed its elimination, Charlie. That doesn't make it a done deal. This is a Congress reluctant to act favorably on gay issues, and generally avoids hot button issues entirely in an election season, which we are now entering.

I think the celebrating will come when (and some might argue that "When" should be replaced with "if") it happens.
    Well I still think it's a good step, and I'm not interested in men or the military.

Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

[QUOTE=craighickman;538121]
    Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post

I refuse to read the Advocate. What's your point?
    The point is in the article.
    Open wide.

So, 10 months later...

The Pentagon's long-awaited report on gays in the military concludes that repealing the 17-year-old "don't ask, don't tell" law would present only a low risk to the armed forces' ability to carry out their missions and that 70 percent of service members believe it would have little or no effect on their units.

"The risk of repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell to overall military effectiveness is low," said the report's co-authors, Defense Department General Counsel Jeh C. Johnson and Army Gen. Carter F. Ham. While ending the ban would likely bring about "limited and isolated disruption" to unit cohesion and retention, "we do not believe this disruption will be widespread or long-lasting," they said.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...113003935.html

I can't wait to hear Sen. McCain's response.
    Blue Steel

Contests
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

This disruption thing is so ridiculous. They're not going to parade in a bunch of new flamboyant soldiers or something (though personally I'd like to see more Ranger-style berets happening.) They repeal this thing, everyone finds out a bunch of their best friends have been closeted homosexuals all this time, and realize "wow, these guys are good soldiers too". The end, no?
    I put in the work and wanted it so badly but this guy is the best for a reason. He is such a complete player ... maybe I'll just punch him or something, I don't know. - Andy Roddick

Quote Originally Posted by jjnow View Post
    Can I get a "no duh!"

I'll remain a broken record on this as well:

It didn't hurt President Clinton one bit with the LGBT vote.
    Apples and oranges..IMO, Obama is not even close to the effective President that Clinton was. Also, the world is in a different place now than it was then--at the time, DADT was a huge step forward; in today's society, it is an unacceptable policy. Not repealing this policy in a timely matter definitely will hurt Obama's chances at re-election.
    I don't deny myself bread. I have bread every day.

Quote Originally Posted by JTContinental View Post
    Apples and oranges..IMO, Obama is not even close to the effective President that Clinton was. Also, the world is in a different place now than it was then--at the time, DADT was a huge step forward; in today's society, it is an unacceptable policy. Not repealing this policy in a timely matter definitely will hurt Obama's chances at re-election.
    (I would be surprised if he changed his mind, but that was a 10 month old quote.)

Anyhoo, it's nice that a former step forward is now insanely old fashioned.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast