Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Grand Slam Champion owendonovan's Avatar

Re: Obama to ask for repeal of DADT

Quote Originally Posted by craighickman View Post
    I don't recall Obama promising to end DADT in his first year, but if someone has the source, please remind me.
    He didn't, but the LGBT community can see the writing on the wall, the super majority is gone, more losses likely in Nov. and a growing discontent with a sense of squandering this opportunity to get ENDA, DOMA, and DADT thrown away before the republicans take control back (which feels inevitable). If the Independants start working harder to get the LGBT vote, there will be a mass exodus from the Democratic party. He's only as good as his congress and if can't get them to get much done there's a problem.
    Open wide.

Head Cheese
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Both Olbermann and Maddow reported that the President did, in fact, promise to repeal it in his first year.
    Oh Grigor. You silly man.

Quote Originally Posted by owendonovan View Post
    He didn't, but the LGBT community can see the writing on the wall.
    I still don't know who belongs to the "LGBT community" you speak of. If the "leaders" of those groups you listed want to take their money and go home, then let them. They'd be better off organizing real movements for marriage equality across the nation (and not just marches on Washington for show) instead of complaining and threatening, but that would be too much like right.

But I was responding to the article that opened this thread. It claimed Obama promised to repeal DADT in his first year as president and as far as I'm aware, that's false. But there it is in print, in a "legitimate" outlet and it's simply not true.

Another falsehood reported as fact to help make it appear as though this president is failing across the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkus View Post
    Both Olbermann and Maddow reported that the President did, in fact, promise to repeal it in his first year.
    Did they air a video or post a written promise from his original campaign website? I don't take their word on much regarding the president at this point.

I don't remember everything, and lately, my memory is slipping a lot, but I'd like a source that shows me in his owns words that he did.

Still won't change how I feel about the matter, but I'd like to know if the article is factually accurate or not.

I still don't know who belongs to the "LGBT community" you speak of. If the "leaders" of those groups you listed want to take their money and go home, then let them. They'd be better off organizing real movements for marriage equality across the nation (and not just marches on Washington for show) instead of complaining and threatening, but that would be too much like right.

But I was responding to the article that opened this thread. It claimed Obama promised to repeal DADT in his first year as president and as far as I'm aware, that's false. But there it is in print, in a "legitimate" outlet and it's simply not true.

Another falsehood reported as fact to help make it appear as though this president is failing across the board.
    For the amount of work and money that was spent on getting him elected, he has made some serious mis steps starting with Rick Warren and ending with Maine marriage and a few in between.
    Open wide.

For the amount of work and money that was spent on getting him elected, he has made some serious mis steps starting with Rick Warren and ending with Maine marriage and a few in between.
    If you wanna put Maine at his feet, go right ahead. I live in this state. I organize in this state. I vote in this state. The loss had nothing to do with him.

And none of the national leaders of the organizations you list were in this state helping to get out the vote.

Writing and check can only take us so far.
    Last edited by craighickman; 01-27-2010 at 11:04 PM.

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

What I remember is during his campaign, Obama promised he would repeal it if elected, and then reiterated that promise in a September or October, 2009 speech given before a gay rights group. But, tonight was the first time he actually put a timeline on it.

Quote Originally Posted by shtexas View Post
    What I remember is during his campaign, Obama promised he would repeal it if elected, and then reiterated that promise in a September or October, 2009 speech given before a gay rights group. But, tonight was the first time he actually put a timeline on it.
    That's about what I recall too.

[QUOTE=craighickman;538071]I still don't know who belongs to the "LGBT community" you speak of. If the "leaders" of those groups you listed want to take their money and go home, then let them. They'd be better off organizing real movements for marriage equality across the nation (and not just marches on Washington for show) instead of complaining and threatening, but that would be too much like right.

http://advocate.com/Politics/Politic...ocratic_Party/
    Open wide.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last I checked, the well-being of this country rested on a larger populace than just gay folks. Repealing DODT or opening up gay marriage won't achieve much if folks can't pay their bills, or if their lives are bankrupted by not being able to pay health care expenses... I think it's great if this can happen. But we need to keep our our eyes on the bigger ball... And move forward with prudence.

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Last I checked, the well-being of this country rested on a larger populace than just gay folks. Repealing DODT or opening up gay marriage won't achieve much if folks can't pay their bills, or if their lives are bankrupted by not being able to pay health care expenses... I think it's great if this can happen. But we need to keep our our eyes on the bigger ball... And move forward with prudence.
    It costs nothing compared to what needs to be done economically, sometimes when you have the opportunity to do the right thing, you do it, regardless. Why anyone believes money is more important than basic human rights, baffles me.
    Last edited by owendonovan; 01-27-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Open wide.

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Asteroids Champion, 123 GO Champion, Ball Of Madness Champion, Solitare Champion, Deal or No Deal Champion, Connect 4 Champion, Yeti Sports 8- Jungle Swing Champion, Putt it in Golf Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, mahjong Champion, 247 Mini Golf Champion, Flash Golf Champion, Battleship Champion, Solitaire Golf SLingo Champion, Archery Champion dryrunguy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It costs nothing compared to what needs to be done economically, sometimes when you have the opportunity to do the right thing, you do it, regardless. Why anyone believes money is more important than basic human rights, baffles me.
    I think Barack Obama will do a lot of right things... I just don't think it will be fast enough for some folks. Which I understand completely.

There are very good (in a twisted way) and very disturbing reasons why FAUX News is the most trusted news network (arguably)... That's the climate in which our president and our Congress operates. It's not fair. It's not right. Unfortunately, it's just the way it is.

side note: Geithner and Bernanke aren't helping Obama either, I'm expecting resignations within a year.
    Open wide.

[QUOTE=owendonovan;538086]

http://advocate.com/Politics/Politic...ocratic_Party/
    I refuse to read the Advocate. What's your point?

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

side note: Geithner and Bernanke aren't helping Obama either, I'm expecting resignations within a year.
    I'm giving Geithner 30 days. The new AIG revelations, while he was in a position of authority in NY are far too damaging. I think the announcement will come shortly on the heels of Bernanke's reappointment tomorrow.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast