Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Women's Picks & Results Thread - 2010 AOSP

Quote Originally Posted by mr_socko View Post
    your tammy tanasugarn comment made me LOL

Haha, thanks! But then she went and beat Karatantcheva 6-1 in the first set, so what do I know?
    I'll miss you!

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Lots of people still waiting on their Day 1 picks to finish, but there are plenty of choices today, nonetheless. We'll see how "accurate" my Day 1 "predictions" ended up being, but for now:

Today's BotD is...

Carla Suarez Navarro!

Carla Suarez Navarro (46) - Fancy Nancy upset Venus Williams en route to a quarterfinal finish here last year and just snuck in as the 32nd seed this year, but for the life of me I don't know what she's done since. Nice draw against Morita, though, and if Nancy meets Serena in round three, it will NOT be a repeat of last year.

Close, but no cigar:

Gisela Dulko (40) - Legs is a popular pick, and she did take out Sharapova in last year's Wimbledon, but people, she drew a battle-tested qualifier! And Dulko's not exactly the most consistent person ever, so… well let's just say that you might be right. And you might not.

And show:

Shahar Peer (39) - A pretty resurgent Peer gets a nice draw and could really do some damage.

And all the rest:

Agnes Szavay (27) - We saw shades of the former top-30 player at last year's Roland Garros, and she should be able to get by Dubois, who hopes to fare better than Tetreault did last night.

No Pick (20) - Given this draw, it's a good, unarguable pick.

Samantha Stosur (18) - Plays a qualifier who I've not heard of, so the only real danger in this pick is if Stosur is really finding her feet, she can go far.

Sabine Lisicki (16) - The Smiling German will find her way into round two quite nicely. Huzzah!

Ana Ivanovic (14) - I'll be honest. I'll really be rooting for Shenay Perry in this one. Equal parts because I like her and don't really like Squeaks. We'll see if she can girly-twirl-fist-pump-ADJE! her way into round 2.

Andrea Petkovic (14) - Two years ago, she retired in the first game of her first match here. Last year she beat fellow German Woerle in a long match to reach the second round. This year, she could easily reach the third round.

Iveta Benesova (12) - A solid choice for this match, but with neither Zvonareva nor Ivanovic lighting up the courts, the Czech may surpass expectations.

Petra Kvitova (12) - Has drawn someone three times her age in Jill Craybas. Probably will win which will probably make me sad.

Sybille Bammer (9) - Better pray it's not windy, or that ball toss is gonna be all over the place. Faces Spaniard Parra Santonja who knocked about 6 million people out of last year's Wimbledon pool by upsetting Tammy T. On grass. Obviously, we can't count APS out in these early rounds.

Melinda Czink (9) - Will hope that her game is galvanized enough (Anyone get it? Not that it's good…) to take out Voegele who has a powerful, if erratic game.

Daniela Hantuchova (9) - Almost-one-time-finalist Hantuchova has drawn Kutuzova, of whom the words "Watch out for her in the future!" have been uttered for about six years. Okay, maybe not that long, but I'm still waiting for the talent materialization. Dani in 2.

Anabel Medina Garrigues (9) - Is anyone from TaT going to be there? If so, Sprem in 2. If not, AMG in 2.

Agnieszka Radwanska (7) - Shouldn't be too troubled by German Malek, though if I recall, I said the same thing about her matchup against Kateryna Bondarenko here last year…

Elena Vesnina (7) - She's been really disappointing so far this season, so any wins here would be somewhat of a (albeit welcome) surprise. Faces *thwack* wait for it… wait for it… waaaaaaaait for iiiiiiiit… *grunt*

Na Li (5) - She's coming off her best-ever Grand Slam showing at last year's US Open and probably won't be troubled until she meets Dane Wozniacki.

Alicia Molik (5) - This probably won't be a popular assessment (but really, when do I ever care?), but I think Molik might have some trouble finding her legs. Home crowd will help her (as does the draw of Coin), but it might be a tough day out.

Melanie Oudin (5) - Not sure I BELIEVE yet, but this could be a great pick, since she draws A Rad in the next round, who killed her at Wimby last year.

Victoria Azarenka (2) - Much too early. She's likely to come out of her quarterfinal and meet Serena. So yes, she'll get by Cohen-Aloro, but it may prove to be bad to have used her already.

Kimiko Date Krumm (2) - Greta Arn and Grandma Jill's great-grandma has had a better start to the season than a lot of others, and at 84 years of age, it looks like she checked the box for the pro tournament and not the senior invitational, but that still might not stop her from taking out Shvedova. (But I doubt it.)

Vera Zvonareva (2) - I sure hope her ankle's okay.

One is the loneliest number...

Akgul Amanmuradova - There's gonna be about 13 feet of fun on court between Akgul and opponent Barrois, whose slice backhand could easily trouble the large Uzbek.

Sofia Arvidsson - Former top-30 Swede had to qualify but will meet her match in big-hitting Jarmila Groth. We have exactly one pick on both sides of this match.

Alberta Brianti - Another amazing pick. I'm just going to sit back, watch her victory, and choose my next pick. Too bad no one else got on the train! (Remember Meusberger/Bacsinszky?)

Kai-Chan Chang - I know absolutely nothing about her, except that I really don't expect her to beat Benesova.

Jill Craybas - Grandma Jill! The TaT favorite has a sole supporter, and she's gonna need all the support she can get against the tricky lefty Kvitova. Plus, her year's already been dismal, so she has that working against her.

Casey Dellacqua - I like Dellacqua a lot, so I hope I'm right when I say that I think she'll win.

Jarmila Groth - GRAWTH!

Varvara Lepchenko - Someone dared pick against my pick! Does this person suffer the wrath of the Bacsinszkys yesterday? Or vanquish the analysis foe from the contest? Stay tuned!

Francesca Schiavone - Skeevy Wonder has a tough draw in Cornet, whose ranking will plummet even more if she can't find a way to win this. Could be close, depending on which Alizé shows up.

Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by beaujarkko; 01-18-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    I'll miss you!

wait,
    i'm confused: i do not see szavay on the order of play at the real AO site. neither is my pick arvidsson. in any case, both were in the Day 2 threads, so i guess our picks still qualify, but we may have to wait 'til tomorrow for that result.
    Last edited by seaweed; 01-18-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    wait,
    i'm confused: i do not see szavay on the order of play at the real AO site. neither is my pick arvidsson. in any case, both were in the Day 2 threads, so i guess our picks still qualify, but we may have to wait 'til tomorrow for that result.
    Yes, they play Wednesday, so you'll have make a Day 3 pick tomorrow and you'll have to hope for two matches to go your way.
    I'll miss you!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Beau, your summaries NEVER disappoint.
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

These are great Beau. Nice job! Love the "13 feet of fun" comment

Where am I?
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waylandboy-tw View Post
    These are great Beau. Nice job! Love the "13 feet of fun" comment
    Thanks!

I'd also like to apologize to the Day 1 Razzano pickers that I was, indeed, correct.
    I'll miss you!

Forum Director
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beaujarkko View Post
    Thanks!

I'd also like to apologize to the Day 1 Razzano pickers that I was, indeed, correct.
    But Virginie is a great pick--as close to a sure bet as it gets--if her opponent is in the top 10!
    Winston, a.k.a. Alvena Rae Risley Hiatt (1944-2019), RIP

Fed Fan
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryrunguy View Post
    Agreed - the Beau Breakdowns are brilliant!
    16 and counting...

JUPITER'S GHOST - catch up on all the episodes at http://www.youtube.com/user/jupitersghost

Tennis begins with love.

Quote Originally Posted by beaujarkko View Post
    Yes, they play Wednesday, so you'll have make a Day 3 pick tomorrow and you'll have to hope for two matches to go your way.
    whew, i was wondering about that too since I picked Szavay and was just looking at the schedule and didn't see her - was afraid I was out!

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgirl98 View Post
    whew, i was wondering about that too since I picked Szavay and was just looking at the schedule and didn't see her - was afraid I was out!
    Hawkgirl...you picked Szavay? You are usually the most daring picker of everyone that plays our SPs. I would have expected you to take some unheralded and unpronounceable Estonian junior in the first round, instead of a known entity like Agnes
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Crap--I chose Carla not knowing that she would be the biggest bandwagon!
    To a tennis player, love means nothing.

I cannot believe I completely forgot about the Day2 picks! I came looking for it last night while Rafa was playing but it was not up yet. Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hawkgirl...you picked Szavay? You are usually the most daring picker of everyone that plays our SPs. I would have expected you to take some unheralded and unpronounceable Estonian junior in the first round, instead of a known entity like Agnes
    I remember picking Agmess in the first round last AO. I'd say it's a very daring pick.

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mysterX View Post
    I remember picking Agmess...
    Perfect!
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast