Agree Agree:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Million Dollar Baby

I saw it last Saturday. What a line just to get in!

Anyway, I couldn't sleep that night after seeing it. Even two days later, I had dinner with the girl I saw it with and she suddenly mentioned something from the movie which had nothing to do with what we were talking about. It really stays with you.

**** (out of 4)

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

Re: Million Dollar Baby

can't wait to see it, hopefully this weekend.

I thought Eastwood would be going out on a high note with "Mystic River", what a great movie. Yet everything I've read says that MDB trumps Mystic. Hard to believe, but from all the accolades, guess it is true.

And what is the deal with Hillary Swank? When you talk of the great younger actresses, not someone that leaps to mind. Yet, looks like there is a serious possibility that she may have her second Best Actress Oscar and she is only 30.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

What no one is talking about is Clint Eastwood's performance. He digs deeper than he ever has before.

As for Swank, I think it's kind of amusing. In 1999, when I saw "American Beauty", I thought for sure Annette Bening was going to win an Oscar until I saw "Boys Don't Cry". This year, when I saw "Being Julia", I thought the same thing about Bening.. and here comes Swank again.

It's a movie of quiet strength. It's a movie of real decisions we make in our lives. It may not have hit me so hard a few years ago, but it sure did now.

I'm off to see this movie!

Ciao for now TATers!

It ain't what you eat but how you chew it.

I'm soooooo disappointed ... was really lookin forward to this flick and it wasn't showing.

The film is only being played at ONE theater in the entire Denver area!

What's up with that ???

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Yeah - it was only playing in one theater in Dallas too. But, it was on two screens (and it was the two larger screens). Arrived 45 minutes before the 4:55 show and ended up with tickets for the 7:00 show. Some further back ended up with 7:45. The theater was very careful to not let up the 7:45 people until the 7:00 audience was seated, because some tried to sneak into the earlier show. The theater was a zoo because Hotel Rwanda was also only playing there. They were sold out until 9:40 by 3:00 in the afternoon (playing in two of the smaller theaters). Luckily, there are nice shops and restaurants all around that theater, so you could just walk around, have an early dinner and then get to your movie.

I think Million Dollar baby expands next Friday.

We went out of our way to see this film today and I'm glad for having made the effort.

I feel like my heart was just ripped out. My God what a great film. 10 stars, two thumbs up ... whatever you want to call it ... GREAT MOVIE!!!

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Just noticed your post Seb (was only looking at tennis posts the last few days). Yes, it certainly is worth going out of your way to see. Now, I see I was wrong. It doesn't open wide until next week (January 28th).

SP Creator
    Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

yeah, opens here this weekend. I'm going, BUT

I AM SO ANGRY!

on Wednesday, I had to go visit with a client. UP in Lancaster PA, about a 1 hour drive from my office. MY boss was going with me, and he offered to drive. I was cool with that because I wanted to do some paperwork on the way.

MY boss is a great guy, but on the conservative edge of the political spectrum. It was good driving up, we were listening to sports talk radio, since everyone around here is all excited about the Eagles.

But on the way home, he put on Rush L.

And Rush GAVE AWAY THE ENDING of Million Dollar Baby. Apparently, he and Michael Medved are on a mission to ruin the movie for everyone becuase they don't like the "message" it sends.

I was furious. Hearing it felt like it really took away from the enjoyment of the movie.

I hope Rush goes to jail for 12 years.
    With Lucas Pouille at Indian Wells (2018)

I know the "message" that Rush's panties are all bunched up over ... he's such a jackass.

I'd like to elaborate but I don't want to ruin the film for anyone else.

Sorry moose :-/

Senior Staff
    Forum Moderator

Awards Showcase

Ohh! I am sorry about that too. You know, if you read too many message boards on the internet, the same thing can happen. On one message board, out of nowhere, a poster started to give it away also. I left the message board immediately and never returned. Today, I was looking up Vera Drake, because it opened here this weekend, and a poster that reviewed the film starts with "when...such and such ..happened." I stopped reading very quickly, because even if there is no real surprise, I don't want to know too much.

Just got back from seeing this with the wife. I thought it was an excellent movie! Very deserving of the Best Picture Award. Definately not the "feel good movie of the year" but great. I liken it to "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" which also won Best Picture. [smiley=overhead_clap.gif]